“Very Good”

Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
York, United Kingdom
“Very Good”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here recently after a concert in the city. It was very convenient without being right in the middle of town. The service was very good, rooms clean and tidy, we even got an upgrade. Decided to have breakfast and despite my usual concerns re hotel breakfast, was pleasantly surprised. Good selection of hot and cold options, freshly cooked, not sat under a hot plate bubbling away. Will use again when in town

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vernon C
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Vernon C

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with the trip advisor community.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade, and of course our freshly cooked Yorkshire Breakfast.

When you are in town next please let me know and I will be delighted to make your reservation for you.

Stuart Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We returned to the New Ellington for a single night's stay at the end of No3Son's first year at the University of Leeds, and again enjoyed the facilities that the hotel has to offer: a comfortable, well appointed room, a relaxing lounge area, and the Gin Garden. The reception staff were very helpful when there was some doubt about the time of our arrival (congestion on the motorways) and whether No3Son might arrive before we did.

This was a flying visit, but we will return for longer so that we can get to know Leeds better, and also more of the 150+ gins on offer at the Gin Garden!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sh52mjh
Dear sh52mjh,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisors readers and I was pleased to read that you found your second welcome as favourable as your first.

The team were thrilled that you found them helpful. The next time you are in Leeds please let me know personally as I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

Don’t leave it too long as our Gin collection is growing!

United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

LOCATION: Close to the railway station. The hotel is located on a small street which also hosts a few gentlemen’s clubs... My first impressions inside were good; I liked the modern interior and the goldfish.

STAFF: Check-in was fine with a pleasant member of staff. He made the effort to make small talk and take an interest in my plans for later which were nonexistent other than getting a good night’s sleep. They do require a £50 pre-authorisation (refundable) even if you pay in advance.

ROOM: The room was lovely, spacious and well-equipped. I really liked the décor and the aircon worked. Excellent selection of tea (best I have ever experienced) and a Nespresso machine. The cups were clean with a biscuit each. No water in the minibar which I was expecting but at least it was cold. The hairdryer was actually decent! You get comfy slippers and a dressing gown (clean smelling but had stains - yes, I could have reported this but it is something the housekeeping staff should have picked up!). Iron worked fine.

BED: I was a little disappointed to feel the edge of the two mattresses joining together to form the kingsize bed but this seems quite common in hotels. Good selection of pillows and comfortable duvet. I loved the 32 inch TV perfectly placed on the wall opposite the bed and it had a good range of channels.

BATHROOM: I like the bath/shower combination. There are instructions on how to operate the rain shower in photo frames – a nice touch. A sufficient amount of fluffy towels were placed in the bathroom and there was a heated towel rail. The toiletries included soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion. There was also a pot with cotton buds and cotton pads but I would like to see a box of tissues.

SLEEP QUALITY: Poor. The window in my room was not great and even with the wooden blinds closed the noise from the street outside was loud enough to keep me awake. I had the misfortune of staying near some rather inconsiderate guests whose loud TV penetrated into my room, alongside their poor choice of music and late night talking/showering (not the hotel’s fault). I finally managed a few hours sleep but the morning traffic had me up before my alarm clock which was not great for my early start.

OVERALL: Yes, it is a nice hotel with lovely rooms but I think the quest for a decent night’s sleep in Leeds continues!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Shaanii
Dear Shaanii,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. I have spoken with the housekeeping team who send their apologies for the missing items from the room.
They were pleased to read you found the tea drawer and other touches excellent.

I was a little concerned to read the comments concerning the traffic noise. Even though we are located in the centre, our location tends to be quieter as we are not situated on a main road, so I am at a loss to why the traffic would wake you up ?

Thank you for your comments concerning the bed, as you will have seen as we do receive positive comments concerning our beds. Some of our rooms can be twined and as such as with the vast majority of hotels the doubles can be twined. We do have an extra thick mattresses topper to ensure that you cannot notice the join in the bed. We are now reviewing this to ensure that the join can not be felt so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The team and more importantly Fleix the fish were delighted you found them helpful and accommodating.

I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back and we can allocate you a room at the rear of the hotel to see if we can provide you with the good night’s sleep in the city. Should this be the case please contact me personally so I can make the reservation for you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

First of all I got a courtesy call a couple of days before arrival to ask about any diet requirements etc which I thought was a nice touch. When we arrived the atmosphere was relaxed and interior was stylish, the male receptionist who checked us in was accommodating and chatty which was spot on, we were all on separate floors but that didn't bother us. When me and my partner got to our room we were shocked to know we had been upgraded and the room was brilliant, loads of space, decorated lovely and it was spotless. I cannot think of a single fault with this hotel, couple of wet marks on the walls but naturally that was from the air conditioning. I think this hotel deserves more credit than what other negative reviewers have written, with me being from a hotel background myself I know how much pressure it is to be under scrutiny every day from the public and we are a tough crowd sometimes! Some people are just too quick to judge and don't give others the chance to rectify situations before commenting on a website such as this one. Just want to say a big thanks to all of the staff who we encountered, the manager and owner of this establishment should be very proud!

Room Tip: Get yourself in the gin bar it's brill, we stayed in room 301 which was one of the suites!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shaunajeanette
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear shaunajeanette,

I was pleased to read your review and the team and I were delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us during your visit to Leeds.

It is always a pleasure to read comments from our guests who appreciate our little touches and I was thrilled that you enjoyed your complementary upgrade to one of our Junior Suites.

Thank you for highlighting our hidden gem The Gin Garden, we are more than just a bed for the night we have a great Gin Garden Bar and a stunning restaurant, Digbys.

Next time you visit Leeds please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the arrangements of your stay.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stated here for one night with a friend as we were going to a concert in Leeds.
Really cannot commend the place highly enough.
Fabulous, helpful staff. Wonderful cocktail menu with more gins than I knew existed (the Liverpool gin with frozen watermelon was a revelation). Great food both at breakfast and in the bar. We didn't have time to dine in the restaurant but had fish goujon instead. Not the skinny bits of fish we had anticipated but a mini battered haddock. Delicious. The homemade tomato sauce was fabulous.
And so to bed. The biggest, most comfortable bed I have stayed in for a very long time. Bliss.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank lovethegoodthings
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear lovethegoodthings,

It was such a pleasure to read and share with the team your kind comments concerning your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

I was pleased to read that you found our Gin range unique and this is constantly changing on a weekly basis. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests enjoy our luxurious beds of which we are renown for.

Should you be returning to Leeds in the future please contact me personally and I would be delighted to arrange the details of your stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed only one night here but we loved the place, really welcoming and great little bar..if you like your gin this is the place for you!
We stayed in a city room on the top floor, it was well equipped for a standard room, although my only problem was the milk in the fridge had seen it's before end date some time ago and there was no water either which would have been good, but a call to reception and fresh milk was brought upto us promptly. I must add that the bed was absolutely amazing very good quality for a hotel of the price bracket.
We will defiantly be returning here for our next trip to Leeds, couldn't have asked for a better location to the city, good walking distance from shopping and the great night life, and the hotel it's self was clean, quiet and friendly couldn't have asked for more!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jenk003
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Jenk003

The team and I were delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us during your visit to Leeds in particular your comments concerning our beds and our hidden gem The Gin Garden.

Please accept my apologies for the milk we have been experiencing an issue with our room fridges but as we speak this is being resolved.

England
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I booked this as a surprise for my husbands birthday and paid for a standard double. Upon booking I requested if it would be possible to have a free upgrade as it was a special occasion. This was done and we were given a studio suite for which I was very grateful for and give them full marks on first impressions.

However, found one or two niggles but considering I paid a cheap rate I wasn't too worried about them initially, such as:
-the roller blind at the window was broken so couldn't pull it up or down (looked behind the blind and realised the view was a wall so nothing we would want to look at anyway!)
- the wooden shutters on the window were very dusty, looks like they hadn't been cleaned in a very long time!
- there was what used to be a lovely Orchid on the table but unfortunately it was dead...
- there was only 1 coffee pod each for the coffee machine (which wasn't a pleasure to use)
- it said mini bar but there was nothing in it other than a small child's carton of milk.

As I said, seen as I was given a free upgrade I didn't want to complain they were not major points just things we noted. The bed was huge, clean and comfy and we had a good nights sleep. The bathroom was good although the shower controls etc took a bit of getting used to.

We asked for water for our room when leaving for a night out and also more milk and coffee pods as we had run out (think reception thought this was an odd request not sure why) but the items were in our room when we arrived, shame they hadn't put milk and water in the fridge though. Our room card also stopped working at one point, tried to ring down from the phone in the hallway but it didn't work so had to back down to reception - was not given very good customer service so slowly all these niggles added up and actually I'm really pleased I hadn't paid the suite rate else I would have been very unhappy. Didn't try the bar or restaurant so can't comment on those, although we never saw a single person in the bar which we thought was odd for a weekend.

Overall it was ok, but wouldn't pay the full rate, I would expect more for the price.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Steph T
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Steph T

Thank you for sharing your positive experience of The New Ellington on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed a complimentary upgrade to one of our fabulous Studio Suites.

Regarding the comments made about housekeeping, I am surprised this was not picked up by our housekeeping team as they are trained to be vigilant and take extra care when looking at the finer details in each room. I cannot explain how this happened other than human error, to which we all occasionally fall foul.

As a standard we do not stock our mini bars, these can be stocked on request, we do as you mentioned provide fresh milk.

I am sorry that you felt that there wasn’t enough coffee pods. We do try and provide a selection of complimentary tea and coffee in the rooms and these can be replenished during your stay by contacting Guest Relations.

Thank you for bringing the housekeeping items to my attention and my Head Housekeeper sends her apologies for this oversight, and corrective training is taking place to ensure that this does not occur again.