“Lovely Room”

Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Westgate-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Lovely Room”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed here on business and was pleasantly surprised, The room was huge and very comfy, The evening meal as tasty and well presented! The breakfast was very nice and the staff at breakfast time were really friendly, I would go back again deffo!!

6 Thank Michelle W
TheNewEllington1, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear oakham07

Thank you for sharing your recent positive experience with us and with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you were pleasantly surprised with our bedrooms and your experience during dinner and breakfast and that you found your stay with us relaxing and enjoyable.

I have shared your comments with the team and they are delighted that you found them friendly and helpful.

If you would like to stay again please let me know and I will arrange the details personally.

Stuart Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Kilsyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for 1 night whilst in the city on business. The we booked a deluxe room because it had a seating area and all of the pictures showed 2 chairs however our room only had the 1 chair, which meant 1 of us had to sit in the desk chair or on the bed which was a slight disappointment. Also every time we left the room, when we went back in we had to setup the TV as the power seemed to be cut to the room completely. Apart from that the room was lovely and very clean. It was close to some nice bars and restaurants but far enough away that you didn't get the noise from them. The hotel doesn't have it's own car park which means you need to park in one about 5 mins walk away but they do give you a discount token for it.

4 Thank Pammy0
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Pammy0,

Thank you for fitting in the time to share with the Trip Advisor community your recent stay.

I was delighted, as well as the team are, that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you found the cleanliness acceptable and you enjoyed our unique location.

Please accept my apologies with the TV I wasn’t aware of this fault and rest assured I am having this matter dealt with as a matter of urgency.

If you back in town again whether it be business or pleasure please let me know and I would be delighted to make the reservation for you.

Warmest Regards

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Beautiful hotel. Different, classy and very comfortable. Rooms are nicely designed. Definitely worth the stay.

We checked in at late night with so we only had the breakfast in the morning. Emily, the lovely lady on shift, added a whole new level of "great experience" to our stay. She greeted us nicely and sat us down to our table, almost made us feel like as if it was our own restaurant. She tailored every request to the highest standards and always had a smile. In short, to me, this kind of service towards guests is a sign of a great hotel that has trained their staff to maintain the highest standards of hospitality. Which, to be honest, is the kind of treatment you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Imran J
Dear Imran,

Thank you for your sharing your positive experience with other Trip Advisor readers.

I was particular delighted you have taken the time to mention one of the team and Emily sends her thanks for you recognising her service.

Next time you must arrive earlier and enjoy our extensive new menu and gins from our ever growing collection.

Warm Regards,

Northants
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night before a wedding in Leeds. Hotel is very nicely decorated, our room was very clean and nicely done out. Towels and bathrobes were a good size and the bed was massive. Gin bar looked excellent although didn't get chance to sample it. Staff were all friendly. Would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
6 Thank K8NSH
Dear K8NSH,

It is always a pleasure to read and share with the team comments like yours and thank for you taking the time to share your positive experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our luxurious towels and bathrobes as well as the decoration in the rooms.

Next time you visit you really should try one of our 150 Gins which will be increasing over the next coming months.

Please let me know if you are in the area again and I will arrange the details personally.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had not stayed at the New Ellington before, but had been recommended it by a friend who lives local to the hotel and we were excited to stay there.
Unfortunately, when we entered our hotel room, there on bed front and centre was a cushion with a dubious, dried white stain stretched accross it. Not what you want to see on a supposedly fresh and clean bed and I'll spare you the photos. More dried white and unfortunately identifiable spots were on the woodwork next to the pillow, while the headboard above had names carved into it.
And just to round things off; the bed below, supposedly a king, was in fact two singles with a gap in between, in order that the king sized sheet spanned them.
Naturally, my wife whose birthday it was, was not impressed and the suspect cushion was hastily taken down to reception, who seemed less than keen to accept it in its present state. At this point, I was told we could not move rooms as housekeeping had left for the day and as we had the only non-feather bedding available, the room we were leaving would not be able to be remade for someone else to then occupy (a blessing for them I guess!!) We were only offered a move the next day.
The bedding itself seemed clean to the naked eye, so reluctantly we stayed in the room overnight, both minding not to accidentlly role over and disappear down the gap. Then at six in the morning, our joy was compounded when we were both awoken by the air-conditioning unit offering up a prolongued, loud and accurate impression of a rain storm. If only we could have drowned our sorrows with a view of a brick wall and a car port; oh wait!! (To be fair, it is the centre of Leeds and location wise, the hotel is good)

In a rare show of efficiency, we were moved over to a new room the following day, next door to the old room in fact. This new room was everything the other wasn't and while I would maybe suggest there is a fine line in this instance between boutique hotel and glamourised travel lodge, it must be said barring a ridiculously overcomplicated shower/bath/shower system I have no complaints about the second room. Had in fact we been met with this room from day one, this would be an altogether different and happier review. As it was, the trip was soured by that awful introduction to the New Ellington and not just having to stay in that appaling first room, but having to pay for the pleasure to boot.

I think the biggest disappointment however was an no point did anyone ever think to apologise, at any level either during or after our stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank WoodFishTheIII
Dear WoodFishThell

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The New Ellington on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my personal apologies for the team not dealing with your concerns in the right manner, this is something I have taken up personally for the first room not meeting your expectations.
As previously mentioned all our headboard and pillows are steam cleaned to ensure that they are clean but due to the nature of the fabric it can leave some residue on the fabric which comes from the material itself. We are in the process of changing the both the headboards and pillows and once we are satisfied the new fabric will not wear in the same way.

I was delighted that the second room met with your approval and that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay with us.

I do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back, and if you wish to do so, please let me know.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed with family for my daughter's graduation and the experience was excellent from the moment I walked through the door! Friendly efficient staff who made us all feel very welcome - even offering to take group photos to help us remember the day. Bedrooms are large roomy and five star (huge king size beds). Gin bar is definitely worth checking out! Great value - great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank John G
Dear John G,

Thank for you taking the time to share your positive experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that your experience was excellent from the moment you walked through the door. I have passed your comments on to the team regarding the extent of your stay and they are delighted you had a memorable time with us.

I was personally delighted to read the comments concerning our beds which are becoming quite a talking point!

If you would like to book again then please let me know and I shall arrange the details personally.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Beautiful room, good price, amazing shower, huge bed, GREAT sleep, beautiful smelling soap!
Was here for a business trip, close to city centre, would definitely reccomend!

Only downfall was breakfast- had prepaid, and the hobbs were broken, so could only have a bacon or sausage sandwich from under the grill, I asked about the sausages and found out the were cooked yesterday and just rehearted- breakfast wasn't cheap so thought that was a bit off. When asked for breakfast refund on checkout the receptionist appeared to not know that the kitchen was having issues and didn't have the authority to give the refund- was emailed very shortly after advising the refund was in place.

All and all would def reccomend, such a beautiful beautiful hotel

4 Thank Vicmak
TNE123, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear vicmark

Thank you for taking the time sharing your positive review with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our beautiful boutique rooms and the location of the Hotel.

I was disappointed to read your comments concerning breakfast. We did experience a mechanical failure in the kitchen which meant that we could only offer a limited breakfast. I am unsure why someone told you that it was food re-heated as all our food is freshly cooked. Please accept my apologies for not being able to provide you with one of our hearty Yorkshire Breakfasts.

The next time you are visiting Leeds and wish to stay with us please contact me personally and I would be delighted to make the reservation for you.