“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from the new Ellington hotel after an amazing nights stay , the hotel is modern , quirky well designed with everything that you could need for an amazing break , the rooms were large , clean and very well thought out ... Beds really comfy and a fantastic nights sleep , we were on a dinner , bed & breakfast package so did eat in the restaurant which we found to be a very high quality meal with great service and we could not fault it. We also enjoyed the bar which served a large selection of gins but also as a none gin drinker was pleasantly surprised at the other selections. All in all a great night It is my 5th visit to Leeds and I have stayed in many of the other standard larger hotels and have got to say the Ellington was a lot nicer and I found the staff and customer service brilliant ... Thank you and we will be back

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nikki B
TheNewEllington1, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Nikki B,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at The New Ellington with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your entire stay, and that you took advantage of our fantastic Dinner Bed and Breakfast offer.

If you would like to stay again please contact me personally and I will arrange the details.

Stuart Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
scotland
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Leeds is a vibrant city, but in its midst is a discreet, delightful boutique hotel. The rooms are well appointed, with great air conditioning, power showers and top rate beds, with a surfeit of pillows. Staff are generally efficient with an attentive manager. The gin bar has over 140 different gins.
At times, especially during the week, it is quiet and Digby's the restaurant serves top notch steaks.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank vincitveritas
TheNewEllington1, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Vincitveritas,

Thank you choosing The New Ellington as your base during your visit to Leeds and York. It was a pleasure to meet you and share your experience of your travels over the many years.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our food offering in particular our steaks “Top Notch”

I have shared your comments with the team and they are thrilled with your comments.
If you are ever in the Leeds area again you know where to find us!

Warm Regards,

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this room as a bit of a treat for my hubby and me. One of the attractions being the gin bar. We had a warm welcome and were given our room key. Opened the door and we were overlooking the building site!!!!!! which was fully operational and extremely noisy.We asked to be moved and swiftly were, to a rather dark depressing room, with a dirty toilet rim and a thick layer of dust on the lampshade and the wood framing in the room. Moved again this time to find a disgustingly stained armchair and a complimentary bathrobe with complimentary make-up all over it from the last guest! who knows? apologies were made but no sign of the manager or any effort to speak to us at any point, no robe replacement, and the chair which we asked to be removed stayed in our room.very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lorraine b
Dear lorraineb,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor readers.

I am always disappointed to read reviews which don’t meet to our guest’s expectations.

We are fortunate enough for Leeds to be enjoying a birth of regeneration and as such there is building work taking place in the city.

The one you are referring to is opposite the hotel, the noise is kept to a minimum and if any substantial noise is to happen we ensure all our guests are informed prior to arrival.

The building work takes places during a week day when the majority of our guests are out so this does not impose on our guests stay or experience. I am truly sorry if this dampened your stay.

I understand that you spoke with one of my Duty Managers during your stay and on check out so I am at a loss why you thought this hadn’t been dealt with my one of the management team.

Please accept my personal apologies for any short falls during your stay and I have dealt with your concerns with my management team to ensure they don’t occur again.

If you are returning to Leeds in the future and would like to stay again then please contact me personally.

Lorraineb, once again please accept my apologies for any shortfalls.

Warm regards

UK
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before a wedding nearby the following day. I booked it because of its proximity to the city centre and train station.
Unfortunately by the time we got there it was quite late so didn't get to take advantage of being so close to the city centre. However, on arrival we received a very warm and friendly welcome.
The hotel is situated down a quiet street slightly away from the main bars and clubs so was nice and peaceful during the night. The decor was very nice, it seemed like the sort of place that might be used by business people on stopovers. The room was massive and there was a great selection of tea and coffee, including herbal tea which I find it usually not included in rooms.
Although it was a short stay, I was impressed with the hotel and it's price and would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cellophanestar
Dear cellophanestar

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you liked our central location, our décor, and the size of our rooms.

Next time why not take full advantage and dine in our restaurant, or try one of our Gins from our growing collection of over 150 Gins

If you would like to stay again please let me know and I will arrange the details personally.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for one night as a stopover to the dales, we found it to be in a great position for the town centre shopping etc, we had an executive room which was large and very comfortable with a small balcony. We had a meal in the restaurant which we enjoyed as well as the breakfast. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we would certainly return if we are ever in Leeds again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MichelleChris_13
Dear MichelleChris_13

We do appreciate our guests sharing their experience with the Trip Advisor Community so thank you for taking the time to write your review.

t is always a pleasure to read positive comments and I was pleased to read that you liked our location and that you enjoyed your room and meal the evening you stayed.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the new Ellington for 2 nights and it was mostly a very positive experience - I really liked the attention to customer service, I was pleasantly surprised by receiving a phone call shortly after booking asking me what I needed to make my stay a pleasant one (great touch and one other hotels could use). When we arrived the reception was very friendly and helpful, the room was lovely and clean and the bed one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in.
This hotel would have received top marks from me were it not for the breakfast experience - no one met us when we arrived at the restaurant and when we chose somewhere to sit we were quickly moved to another (unset table) - the young man serving looked and acted like we were taking him away from more important things to do and went back to ironing tablecloths whilst we waited. The breakfast was ok (we had the continental option) but not really worth the £8 + they charge. What a shame - it felt like the meet, greet, housekeeping part of the hotel was really on the ball whilst the breakfast service could do with some attention.
I really hope they get this sorted out because I've stayed in a few hotels in Leeds and this one is one of the best.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank isregan
Dear isregan,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was delighted to read that you overall you had enjoyable stay, and that you appreciated our extra touches such as our pre arrival call and our renowned comfortable beds.

Thank you for bringing to my attention your experience regarding breakfast to my attention this isn’t our normal standard so please accept my apologies, rest assured I will deal this personally.

If you would like to stay again in the future please contact me in the first instance.

Westgate-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed here on business and was pleasantly surprised, The room was huge and very comfy, The evening meal as tasty and well presented! The breakfast was very nice and the staff at breakfast time were really friendly, I would go back again deffo!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Michelle W
Dear oakham07

Thank you for sharing your recent positive experience with us and with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you were pleasantly surprised with our bedrooms and your experience during dinner and breakfast and that you found your stay with us relaxing and enjoyable.

I have shared your comments with the team and they are delighted that you found them friendly and helpful.