“Good value ,lacks a bit of wow” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Ellington

The New Ellington
Ranked #11 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
London, United Kingdom
“Good value ,lacks a bit of wow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked junior suite for a one nightwear in leeds.

Firstly I must say the room rate was good value. the room itself was fine ,good size, good bed and all pretty well as it should be .

Front desk guys were fantastic, very helpful, very friendly and all requests action very well. It was all ok my only comment is it does lack any real wow factor but given the room rate and the very keen staff it's worth a stay...great value if you need a room with a bit of space and very central

Room Tip: Junior suites very good value for city centre
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank richard c
TheNewEllington1, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Richard c

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at The New Ellington with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you found us good value, and that staff were very helpful during your stay.

If you would like to book again please let me know and I will arrange the details personally.

Stuart Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Darlington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We booked this hotel because we have previously stayed there and enjoyed our stay. We were on a short break for our honeymoon and I think that's why we were disappointed with the mistakes as it was a special occasion for us. Firstly the good points: Nice quiet hotel in a good location just a short walk from the city. The staff are friendly and the rooms are quite spacious.

The negatives: We checked in and the first thing we had to do was empty our bin from the previous guests!! The safe didn't work and we had to ask reception to sort it, there was no coffee for the machine, no bottled water in the fridge and the milk was lumpy and sour!!! The milk was a mystery as it was not out of date and this baffled the receptionist but on checking out we saw the milk stored in the housekeeping cupboards not in a fridge!!! This might explain why it's sour! The hotel states guests benefit from complimentary internet however through our 2 day stay we never benefited from this as it did not work on any of our appliances! We told reception who stated they had no other complaints however last week there were issues so maybe these hadn't been rectified.

It's a shame about the above because these were silly mistakes which all add up to an average hotel and average stay which was disappointing when we were on honeymoon :-(

I wouldn't avoid this hotel as if the above was sorted and some care was taken over the rooms, then this would be an ideal hotel for a city break as it has potential and we witnessed this on our first stay we we enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from lifts and if you like fresh air and being able to open a window, then don...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Stan420
Dear Stan420

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you found the rooms spacious, the staff friendly and that we were in an ideal location for your visit to Leeds.

Please accept my apologies for your room not being up to standard upon arrival. Our housekeeping team are trained to be extra vigilant, and I can only put the points missed down to human error, of which we all fall foul to at times.

We would love to welcome you back to The New Ellington, and when you return please let me know and I will arrange the details personally.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from the new Ellington hotel after an amazing nights stay , the hotel is modern , quirky well designed with everything that you could need for an amazing break , the rooms were large , clean and very well thought out ... Beds really comfy and a fantastic nights sleep , we were on a dinner , bed & breakfast package so did eat in the restaurant which we found to be a very high quality meal with great service and we could not fault it. We also enjoyed the bar which served a large selection of gins but also as a none gin drinker was pleasantly surprised at the other selections. All in all a great night It is my 5th visit to Leeds and I have stayed in many of the other standard larger hotels and have got to say the Ellington was a lot nicer and I found the staff and customer service brilliant ... Thank you and we will be back

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nikki B
Dear Nikki B,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your entire stay, and that you took advantage of our fantastic Dinner Bed and Breakfast offer.

If you would like to stay again please contact me personally and I will arrange the details.

scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Leeds is a vibrant city, but in its midst is a discreet, delightful boutique hotel. The rooms are well appointed, with great air conditioning, power showers and top rate beds, with a surfeit of pillows. Staff are generally efficient with an attentive manager. The gin bar has over 140 different gins.
At times, especially during the week, it is quiet and Digby's the restaurant serves top notch steaks.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank vincitveritas
TheNewEllington1, General Manager at The New Ellington, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Vincitveritas,

Thank you choosing The New Ellington as your base during your visit to Leeds and York. It was a pleasure to meet you and share your experience of your travels over the many years.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our food offering in particular our steaks “Top Notch”

I have shared your comments with the team and they are thrilled with your comments.
If you are ever in the Leeds area again you know where to find us!

Warm Regards,

Tamworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this room as a bit of a treat for my hubby and me. One of the attractions being the gin bar. We had a warm welcome and were given our room key. Opened the door and we were overlooking the building site!!!!!! which was fully operational and extremely noisy.We asked to be moved and swiftly were, to a rather dark depressing room, with a dirty toilet rim and a thick layer of dust on the lampshade and the wood framing in the room. Moved again this time to find a disgustingly stained armchair and a complimentary bathrobe with complimentary make-up all over it from the last guest! who knows? apologies were made but no sign of the manager or any effort to speak to us at any point, no robe replacement, and the chair which we asked to be removed stayed in our room.very disappointed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
7 Thank lorraine b
Dear lorraineb,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor readers.

I am always disappointed to read reviews which don’t meet to our guest’s expectations.

We are fortunate enough for Leeds to be enjoying a birth of regeneration and as such there is building work taking place in the city.

The one you are referring to is opposite the hotel, the noise is kept to a minimum and if any substantial noise is to happen we ensure all our guests are informed prior to arrival.

The building work takes places during a week day when the majority of our guests are out so this does not impose on our guests stay or experience. I am truly sorry if this dampened your stay.

I understand that you spoke with one of my Duty Managers during your stay and on check out so I am at a loss why you thought this hadn’t been dealt with my one of the management team.

Please accept my personal apologies for any short falls during your stay and I have dealt with your concerns with my management team to ensure they don’t occur again.

If you are returning to Leeds in the future and would like to stay again then please contact me personally.

Lorraineb, once again please accept my apologies for any shortfalls.

Warm regards

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before a wedding nearby the following day. I booked it because of its proximity to the city centre and train station.
Unfortunately by the time we got there it was quite late so didn't get to take advantage of being so close to the city centre. However, on arrival we received a very warm and friendly welcome.
The hotel is situated down a quiet street slightly away from the main bars and clubs so was nice and peaceful during the night. The decor was very nice, it seemed like the sort of place that might be used by business people on stopovers. The room was massive and there was a great selection of tea and coffee, including herbal tea which I find it usually not included in rooms.
Although it was a short stay, I was impressed with the hotel and it's price and would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cellophanestar
Dear cellophanestar

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with the Trip Advisor Community.

I was pleased to read that you liked our central location, our décor, and the size of our rooms.

Next time why not take full advantage and dine in our restaurant, or try one of our Gins from our growing collection of over 150 Gins

If you would like to stay again please let me know and I will arrange the details personally.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for one night as a stopover to the dales, we found it to be in a great position for the town centre shopping etc, we had an executive room which was large and very comfortable with a small balcony. We had a meal in the restaurant which we enjoyed as well as the breakfast. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we would certainly return if we are ever in Leeds again.

Cleanliness
5 Thank MichelleChris_13
Dear MichelleChris_13

We do appreciate our guests sharing their experience with the Trip Advisor Community so thank you for taking the time to write your review.

t is always a pleasure to read positive comments and I was pleased to read that you liked our location and that you enjoyed your room and meal the evening you stayed.