“Relaxing, modern & OK food”
Review of The Midnight Bell

The Midnight Bell
Ranked #321 of 2,217 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$15 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Neighbourhood: Holbeck
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We went with friends on a sunny Bank Holiday afternoon. Very chilled feel and not too busy. Suspect it’s busier during the week for business folk. Good Leeds Best on draft (the full range of Leeds Brewery ales available). We shared a tasty crab and herb pate to start, classic burger main was substantial, salmon and sautéed mussels in chorizo sauce (excellent but pricey). Will come again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

After searching for a sunday dinner on a sunny mid afternoon we came across the midnight bell. Firstly an amazing welcome from a gent with tattoos, then a great table service. What a place! Great food, great service and would highly recommend! We’ll be back next Sunday!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We went on a sunny day and it seemed lovely, nice atmosphere. We ordered our food and about 25mins later was told there was an issue with the ordering system (reading other reviews this seems a theme) but it would be 15mins. They could offer us a free bottle of wine to apologise... but we were all driving! So we were told we would get 25% off our bill. It took another 30minutes to come and it wasnt worth the wait. When leaving we went to get our money refunded and after about 10minutes the waitress said she couldnt do it because we had already paid and there was nothing she could do....no money off next time, no wine to take home. She even sarcastically said well most people don't pay upfront?!? There are plenty if other places nearby so would recommend eating elsewhere.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

We called here on speck on a Saturday night. It was a cold evening and there was no heating on. Nearly everyone but the staff were sat in coats and/or thick jumpers and it didn't help with the doors to the outside and smoking areas being left open for several minutes at at a time. The menu itself we thought was a bit uninspiring but it wasn't like we couldn't make a choice. My partner ordered the pork fitters to start with these were dry and seriously lacking in flavour The garlic mushrooms I ordered were definitely the worst I have ever been presented with but I was hungry and ate them. I should have sent them back but we had waited an age already. The menu described them as Garlic, white wine and cream mushrooms on toasted bloomer. Ususally when this type of dish arrives you can smell the garlic and the richness of the cream. What came was some sliced mushrooms on soggy bread. Not a sign of any cream or remnant of sauce. Clearly if there was any it had been so thin and watery it has soaked straight into the bread. My husband's main course redeemed itself a little he had the chicken burger whose main constituent was a nice piece of well cooked and well flavoured chicken piece. The chips too were good. My main, the Fish Pie started well but the initial promise didn't really travel further than the first forkful. Described as a mixture of Smoked haddock, salmon and king prawn fish pie, topped with mashed potato I am still waiting to discover any smoked salmon. My initial mouthful contained a large succulent prawn; the only one I discovered in the dish. Following which there was mediocre sauce with some salmon pieces topped with a piped mashed mediocre mashed potatoes. I would suggest a change of nozzle so the dish at least looked more attractive. There was a nice selection of vegetables but they were tepid. Again the mains took ages to be served but not as long as they took to clear. We waited over twenty minutes whilst our waitress entertained herself and some other customers at the bar having arm wrestling competitions with them. Oh and having a few laughs with colleagues and dancing up and down the area behind the bar. And still we waited. Eventually another member of staff came to collect our mains. We asked could we order dessert. Oh she says I haven't got my watch let me check. Back she came on no says she, sorry but the kitchen closed at nine. We don't serve food after that. We arrived and placed our order around 8.35. This was now 9.50. At no stage were we ever informed that we wouldn't be able to order dessert - or asked did we want to order it before the kitchen closed. Poor show Midnight Bell. We will not be returning anytime soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Unbelievable place, the bar maid was excellent, friendly, welcoming (I think the barmaid was called Nicole). Well worth a visit