“Spot on!”

Tasty's Karahi Restaurant
Ranked #730 of 2,292 Restaurants in Leeds
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Back in Yorkshire for only a couple of weeks and staying in Leeds. My favourite curries outside of Asia have always been in low-budget places, I grew up with the Karachi in Bradford and I'm always looking for somewhere to get close to that, by food, service and overall ambience etc.

I decided to walk across town to try Tasty's and was not disappointed in any way.

Low-fi decor, jugs of tap water, plastic chapati baskets it was all there. For some this would seem like a bunch of negatives, but believe me this couldn't be further from the truth!

There are no pretences at this place, the guys were really friendly from start to finish and with everyone that came through the door and they clearly have built up rapport with so many people; listening in as you do when you're on your own, they knew everyone, mostly by name and there was a lot of banter between them all.

These guys seem to enjoy their work, which itself is refreshing!

On to the food, well, the seekh kebab was clearly freshly rolled and cooked, it was tender and juicy and had plenty of spices, lovely!

The meat balti also very good, no problem for them to add the fresh Chili, perhaps could have been cooked down a bit longer for me, but the flavour was still great.
Particularly great chapatis, as they were soft and could be split into two thin layers.....what's not to love about splitters??

All in all a great experience, and I will go out of my way to go back.

Cheers!

1  Thank tonyj256

Reviewed 31 March 2017

The currys are very nice and there is a good choice. They also sell the traditional style (on the bone) which is nice. A little tip is to have the lamb/mutton on the bone, which is lovely. I would avoid however the chicken however as the bone pieces are really the smaller fiddly pieces (neck, small wing etc) which so not have much meat on. There are no 'proper' pieces ie thigh, drumstick etc.

Unfortunately the curry portions are quite small. The curries come with three chappaties, however once you have had one - your meat dish has nearly ran out. Usually when Four of us go to different restaurants 2/3 curry with either rice, naan or chappati is more than enough. However here we do need to order 4 or 5. I wouldn't say we are all massive eaters either. Considering the Lamb curry costs £9.50 - this is quite expensive for a basic eat in curry house.

I wouldn't quite describe this as a restaurant either but more of a take away that has a sit in option. The decor is quite basic and dated. I do not mean this in a bad way whatsoever. I really don't mind that. I prefer good food over presentation any day. That's why I'm surprised that they charge so much for such small dishes. I'm not sure why they do this as giving the customer a decent portion, wouldn't cost much more.

The seekh kebabs are great and the service is really quick.

4  Thank leedsgentleman
Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

The service is perfect the food is just as good as the services they never fail to impress the food is always perfect and the price for the quality of food is really good I can't fault this place at all

1  Thank Amit P
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

The food is very nice but the portion size is very small. You get 3 free chapatis with main meals but you have run out of Curry on your second chapati!!! Please be more generous as it costs you pennies but we are paying quite a bit more wanting restaurant standard. You let yourselves down with small portion size.

2  Thank Steven A
Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

I have been recommended this place a few times so I finally gave it a go and it didn't dissapoint.

I went for the seekh kebab and meat palak and I was very impressed. Needless to say I'll be visiting again sampling more of the menu.

Also very good value for money and friendly staff.

1  Thank rumposrb