“Disappointed ”

Tasty's Karahi Restaurant
Ranked #736 of 2,372 Restaurants in Leeds
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

After numerous recommendations for this place and reading the reviews, we decided to give the takeaway service a try one Saturday night. I cannot begin to describe how disappointed we were when the food arrived. We had ordered lamb bhuna, chicken madras and chicken jalfrezi, and not one of them was anything like we'd had from other takeaways, they were all watery and bland. Also the meat in the meals was very mealy and tasteless. The food was binned after a couple of mouthful's. Obviously, because of all the good reviews on TA there must be some good options to be had here, but I'm not in a hurry to try anything else soon.

Date of visit: November 2017
3  Thank 2bloodytourists

Reviewed 29 June 2017

Tasty's has had a great new refurbishment and looks better than ever. You'll struggle to find better food in Leeds and you definitely WON'T find better seekh kebabs anywhere at all.
The service is as good as the seekh kebabs and I couldn't recommend this place enough!!
5 stars

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank Dannial B
Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

Come here on a regular basis, the food is consistently superb. The chicken or lamb seekh kebabs are excellent. I've tried most of the curries on the menu, all excellent , but my favourites are lamb karahi off the bone or the lamb chana.
Great simple, tasty food with no frills.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank DivideUk
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

Back in Yorkshire for only a couple of weeks and staying in Leeds. My favourite curries outside of Asia have always been in low-budget places, I grew up with the Karachi in Bradford and I'm always looking for somewhere to get close to that, by food, service and overall ambience etc.

I decided to walk across town to try Tasty's and was not disappointed in any way.

Low-fi decor, jugs of tap water, plastic chapati baskets it was all there. For some this would seem like a bunch of negatives, but believe me this couldn't be further from the truth!

There are no pretences at this place, the guys were really friendly from start to finish and with everyone that came through the door and they clearly have built up rapport with so many people; listening in as you do when you're on your own, they knew everyone, mostly by name and there was a lot of banter between them all.

These guys seem to enjoy their work, which itself is refreshing!

On to the food, well, the seekh kebab was clearly freshly rolled and cooked, it was tender and juicy and had plenty of spices, lovely!

The meat balti also very good, no problem for them to add the fresh Chili, perhaps could have been cooked down a bit longer for me, but the flavour was still great.
Particularly great chapatis, as they were soft and could be split into two thin layers.....what's not to love about splitters??

All in all a great experience, and I will go out of my way to go back.

Cheers!

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank tonyj256
Reviewed 31 March 2017

The currys are very nice and there is a good choice. They also sell the traditional style (on the bone) which is nice. A little tip is to have the lamb/mutton on the bone, which is lovely. I would avoid however the chicken however as the bone pieces are really the smaller fiddly pieces (neck, small wing etc) which so not have much meat on. There are no 'proper' pieces ie thigh, drumstick etc.

Unfortunately the curry portions are quite small. The curries come with three chappaties, however once you have had one - your meat dish has nearly ran out. Usually when Four of us go to different restaurants 2/3 curry with either rice, naan or chappati is more than enough. However here we do need to order 4 or 5. I wouldn't say we are all massive eaters either. Considering the Lamb curry costs £9.50 - this is quite expensive for a basic eat in curry house.

I wouldn't quite describe this as a restaurant either but more of a take away that has a sit in option. The decor is quite basic and dated. I do not mean this in a bad way whatsoever. I really don't mind that. I prefer good food over presentation any day. That's why I'm surprised that they charge so much for such small dishes. I'm not sure why they do this as giving the customer a decent portion, wouldn't cost much more.

The seekh kebabs are great and the service is really quick.

Date of visit: February 2017