“One of the best UK city hotels we've stayed in.”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #10 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed at Mint Hotel for a weekend over the May Bank Holiday and had a really great experience. The room was comfortable and about what I would expect for the price, i.e. simple, modern, trendy and clean. Internet access on the Apple TV was a great bonus and proved useful. We were on the 10th floor and we experienced no noise from the Skylounge on the 13th floor. However, we were facing the canal side of the building (great view) and I can imagine the other side of the building overlooking the station could be noisier. If I have one complaint of the room, it was a little warm but the that is common with hotel rooms and Mint does have the advantage of an opening window. Breakfast was fantastic with a great choice of what appeared to be quality sourced ingredients. We experienced none of the delays in getting a breakfast table, at least before 09.30 on a BH weekend - in fact we managed to get a table overlooking the canal quay both mornings. We used the Skylounge and it was obviously one of "the" places to go in Leeds. For my middle aged taste it perhaps lacked some of the chilled out atmosphere of some cocktail bars but it looks good and was buzzing and the cocktails were good. Staff were very helpful and friendly throughout the hotel. Location was superb, only 5 minutes walk from the station and never more than 15 minutes from most of the central Leeds sights/shops/venues. Probably the best UK city hotel we have stayed in for a long time and we managed to get a superb rate by not relying on one price comparison website.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,248)

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I did my usual trawl of Trip Advisor before I went away in order to be certain that the hotel I was staying in was good. Mint Hotel certainly didn't dissapoint. Located close to the train station, its a bit of a faff to find as you have to go back under the train line and through a tunnel full of shops and restaurants to find yourself in Granery Wharf. However Mint make sure that they are well signposted once you get in the vicinity so it wasn't too bad. The check in was easy, the room was clean, the staff were helpful, the shower was hot what more could you ask for? The bed was a little hard for my liking but to be fair you cannot accommodate everyones preferences.

I had asked for a top floor but I didn't get my request, however we had a corner room so ended up with quite a panoramic view and funnily enough watching people on the platform to the train station was quite entertaining in itself! Each room has a Mac which you can use to surf or watch tv. The rooms are crisp and modern with clean lines and ikea-like furniture. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My usual gripe of £12 for a nights parking but as for the hotel very nice,great location,exceptionally clean room with everything you need as usual but alot of noise at night this time,shouting,slamming doors etc which i really can't blame the hotel for !!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I stay here most weeks for work a d would recommend it highly. It's right in the centre of Leeds and just a 5 min walk from the station. There's a reasonable amount of parking for a city centre hotel too, and if it does get full, you can park in the arches next door for the same price (12 pounds 24hrs). The service is friendly and efficient and as a regular you get useful extras like express check in. The rooms are clean and comfortable, if a little Spartan in terms of decor. If you're staying for a weekend break or expect to spend extra time in your room then paying slightly more for a club room makes sense. They are rather proud on the website of their aircon system, although frankly. I think it's a bit noisy, slow to get going and difficult to find a temp that's right from just the 4 options available. That said, you can at least shut the whole thing off and open the window. If you ask for a high floor on the canal side of the building then the outside noise is pretty minimal with the window open. The soundproofing is excellent when theyre shut.
The gym is not huge, but better than most of the other Leeds hotels I've stayed in. Also the canalside location means a nice quiet run along the towpath is always an option.
The friendly service is backed up by excellent food too. There a few hotels in this price bracket where your breakfast is cooked to order a.d the quality is consistently good.
The two bars are very good too. The top floor bar does a good line in cocktails and snacks and excellent views over the city. It is generally busy with a lively atmosphere, although if you are staying on your own this can make you feel like a 'Billy No-Mates'! You also can't get a pint in there. The ground floor bar tends to be much quieter and you and your laptop can enjoy dinner for 1 in peace without feeling like you're in everyone's way. Talking of laptops there is free wifi throughout the entire hotel - Marriott take note! You can get a pint down there too, although the prices are fairly excruciating.
Overall I would say that they do a good job of taking the sting out of travelling alone for for work, and if you needs to meet clients, consultants, colleagues etc while you're there, the Mint gives you a good central base to invite them back to, without you having to worry about. what they might think of your "budget" hotel. More to the point, if I ever find myself in Leeds on my own time, I wouldnt hesitate to spend my own money on a stay there, although I would upgrade from a standard room.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 29 May 2011

The reception staff was very helpful. Special thanks to Khalid, who made our stay really enjoyable.

The room was spotless.

The skylounge is a nice place to have a cocktail however the food is a disgrace.
Overexpensive and disappointing. Do not recommend.

The breakfast was nice however the toasts were always burnt and the service wasn't great.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Iknowhereitsat
Reviewed 28 May 2011

fantastic hotel,vry modern inside,at check in we reminded them we had requested a high room overlooking canals,i think the young receptionist was named hollie asked her supervisor and she told us they had upgraded us to a junior suite,was a great start to a great weekend.room was light and spacious,fabulous toiletries from the white company,towelling robes,slippers provided.enormous bed there was even a pillow menu.room are all sound proofed,have bose sound systems for you to use if you take your own cds,as they have imac systems too as a tv,pc of for playing music.had great night in leeds tried the new carluccios on greek street really good italian food would highly reccomend it.then returned to the hotel to use there trendy sky c lounge roof top cocktail bar on the 13th floor.if your brave on a really windy night you can sit outside and see leeds all lit up,we preferred to sit inside with our cocktails listeb to some good music being played

Room Tip: we asked for a room overlooking canals rather than
Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I just had two major issues regarding this hotel. 1) they lied to me, when they missed ordering a cab for me that i requested in advance. In spite of telling the truth, they lied and said it was the cab company's fault. 2) the 24/7 menu, advertised like available all that timeframe....is not that!!! you only have cold sandwiches.

so if you want a cheap place to stay and not eat here, it is a good place. Otherwise, choose the Marriott, much more suited for business travelling

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business