“Clean, comfortable and good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
devon
“Clean, comfortable and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Arrived circa 2130 and was welcomed professionally, if not warmly.

Room a queen size, very comfortable with a decent size wardrobe and desk. Iron and ironing board provided. Mean ration of tea, coffee and milk, why don't hotels leave more than 6 tea bags and 4 milks in a room?

Sky Bar offers excellent views over the city and a glass of wine was sensible priced if towards the top end of the price scale.

Breakfast usual hotel stuff, not exceptional.

Go back? Yes.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I spent Friday night just gone here.

First impressions were good as it's in an attractive canal side setting, just a few monutes away from the train station. On check in the service was functional and somewhat robotic, but this didn't bother me as after reading that this was the trendiest hotel in Leeds, I was expecting quite a 'wow' factor from the room, but when I got there the average sized room was disappointingly bland and sparse with lots of beige and white everywhere (and with an incongrous pink chair!). And not even a sofa. Great toiletries in the huge bathroom, though - White Company and Crabtree & Evelyn pruducts - and I appreciated the floor-to-ceiling window. Yes, the iMac was great but played up on Saturday morning as it kept freezing and it took me ages to sign out of my iTunes account - perhaps it needed updating? The shower was splendid, best one I've used in a hotel to date.

My (spotlessly clean) room was facing the railway station and quite high up so this hotel is a train spotter's paradise. I heard some noise from there but not enough to distract me. I think I'll request a room facing the canal if I stay here next time as looking at trains coming and going wasn't much appealing to me. But the skyline of Leeds was OK.

In the reception/foyer area there's costumes and photo's from past productions at the West Yorkshire Playhouse. Such an innovative and inspired idea.

So glad I could work off that divine cookie in the gym! It was a good size, but you can only get to it on the 12th floor by using one lift of the three in the hotel, which was a pain. However I was impressed with the gym.

I had a boistrous group of guys on my floor who disturbed me briefly in the middle of the night but thankfully I wasn't awake for long. I said I didn't want to be by any stag do's but by that I thought the lady who checked me in would assume I didn't want to be on a floor with ANY groups - obviously not. On check out the next day, I noticed two groups of stag parties already checking in early, which made me feel quite relieved I'd be staying in a different hotel that night.

At 11.55 as I was checking out, there were only two people on the desk! I waited less than five minutes but I'd have preferred a quicker service and more of a sincere and in depth conversation with the lady there. I feel a bit let down about the service here, especially when I think about the service the next day at a Premier Inn I stayed in further up the city centre. As I was walking around the hotel and in the lift, the staff at the Doubletree looked past me, avoided eye contact, and one gentleman from the events team was quite curt to me so I'm wondering what kind of training they've recieved.

I paid less than £50 for this room, booked in the sale, so overall I'm happy. But if I was paying double or more, I'd be feeling quite ripped off and it'd be a three star rating. I didn't go to the Sky Bar or eat there but I'm at a loss to understand why this has been voted as the trendiest hotel in Leeds, presumably it's for the bar and iMac only?

Think I'll go back to the Queens next time I'm in Leeds.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank globalcitizen_1985
Hailsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

This is a really good choice of hotel in central Leeds. Only 5 min walk from Leeds station, some rooms come with views of the railway tracks so trainspotters might love these. No concerns about noise though as soundproofing is very good and the hotel sits in a quiet location, surrounded by canals. Only a 10-15min walk from Briggate for the best shops in town. The building and rooms are modern and clean, in a minimalistic style. Rooms come with Apple tvs, tea/coffee making equipment, complementary still water and quality toiletries (some are by The White Company). Breakfast is excellent with full range of English and Continental. If you are planning to have some, state that at the Reception during check in, rather than at arrival at the breakfast room as it is cheaper (£12, rather than £16). Free wifi is available throughout the hotel

Room Tip: The hotel is next to Leeds station with a good view of the railway tracks, so depending on how much...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Loved this hotel when it was The Mint, so returned with hubby and my mate to see what it was like as the Hilton Doubletree. Got there about 1.30-1.45pm ish only to be told by the receptionist that check in was 3pm. Now anyone that has read any of my previous reviews, knows that I would much rather prefer them to at least 'pretend' they are checking if our room is available even if they aren't, instead of just blankly telling us check in is at 3pm. So Hilton Doubletree lost a point there! They then lost another point when I thought the concierge seem rather stressed and grumpy. When it was the Mint, the Concierge was a lovely friendly bloke with blondish hair who couldn't do enough for us. They did however redeeem themselves when we later checked in (3pm and not a minute before!) and we all got a free chocolate cookie! Mine and hubby's room was very nice but my mates had this horrible chemical type smell that was really awful. It was also around the lift area aswell. When we complained, the receptionist said someone would deal with it, but it still stunk the following day. The bar areas both downstairs and on level 13 are brilliant and reasonably priced. £17.95 for a bottle of house white wine. The restaurant however did seem rather expensive. The set menu was quite boring as far as I was concerned. (nothing to tantalise my taste buds) and we ended up having fish and chips at a cost of £13.95pp, the fish being tasty but the chips were soggy! Needless to say, we did not return to eat there on our 2nd night. Afternoon tea £15 pp was lovely and we sat outside in the sunshine watching the long boats sail up and down passed us.Now I don't know whether this is something particular to Hilton Hotels but i can honestly say I have never seen it elsewhere in any other hotel: there was a woman queueing up at reception with her rollers in!!!!!!!! Now forgive me if I sound snobbish but there we are in a beautifully posh hotel and this just did not seem to quite fit in with the setting. The same happened at the Liverpool One Hilton Hotel when we stayed there, a lass was sat in rollers in the bar there. Speaking as someone who regularly wears rollers but would never even open the front door with them in, this 'trend' is not one I hope would catch on! So despite taking all these things into consideration, this hotel still remains close to the top of my list of places to revisit. Most of the staff are wonderful and the setting is ideal.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room close to the lift on the 10th floor. That was where the chemical type smell se...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank elainematty
Newport Gwent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

We came for the weekend to visit friends, we always stay in 4* hotels we had many to choose from and this hotel looked lovely and reviews were good. When we checked in we were not told about the noise levels from the bar across the way,and the noise in the hotel. We had to wait 10 minutes for a lift, as the public use them to get to the bar on the 13th floor. The room we were allocated was at the end on the 2nd floor right opposite the bar which was noisy till around 1am. We had a wedding on the floor below us, in which it was impossible to get to sleep. The hotel is like knocking shop and lots of drunk people, I have stayed in better and cleaner Etap hotels.
Our room was filthy, we had a big stain on the carpet, our bathroom floor was filthy,also the mugs in the room were dirty.

On top of all that we were facing the railway station with trains going all hours.

My husband spoke to duty manager on duty, who offered to move us at 11pm,by this time I just wanted to sleep.

We paid £15 for the car park for a designated bay only to be told it had gone for someone else.

My husband and I stay in lots of hotels,but never a 4* hotel of this level, it's a hotel I would never recommend or stay in again

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon B
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Lots of venues can often be quiet these days as the recession lingers however Skylounge remains one of the if not the busiest bars in Leeds. It brings a lot of bling to Leeds and doesn't fail to impress. Great service, wonderful hosts, stunning range of cocktails and wonderful views of the Leeds skyline. Get your best gear on and head up there and enjoy it. Great bar manager (Jon) who is incredibly obliging. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I have now stayed here twice and both times the experience was good. The rooms are clean, spacious and well appointed. Given the proximity to the main railway station, they are also very well insulated, as I could not hear any trains with the windows shut. I liked the foldaway mirror over the desk so that you did not have to look at yourself while you work. Also nice toiletries in the modern bathrooms. I did not use the bar or restaurant but room service was fine. I don't eat hot breakfast but the selection for cold breakfast was fine, although cranberry juice would have been nice. You do have to watch the timings for breakfast as it can get very busy, especially if there is a coach party staying in the hotel. The coffee was excellent. As a non chocolate eater the cookie was lost on me, although it looked very nice. I did use the gym several times and it was clean and well equipped. Overall I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo