“Disappointing :-/”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
“Disappointing :-/”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel sadly underwhelmed me despite the mainly positive reviews.

I stay in a lot of Hilton branded properties and I am a HHonors Gold member (and will be moving to Diamond this year all under my own spend).

As part of the scheme I receive complimentary room upgrades subject to availability. The hotel was nowhere near sold out and I could see that upgraded rooms were still for sale online. Having checked in in the evening I was quite brusquely dealt with when I asked if there was an upgrade available. I was told my "high floor" was an upgrade - which it isn't, it's in my room preferences on my Hilton profile(!). The check in experience wasn't great and I was told breakfast was extra, despite it being part of the rate I prepaid for. When I pointed out the hotel did have available rooms to upgrade me if they wanted I was met with a flat no.

The room itself was quite spartan and didn't feel terribly homely. There are iMacs for TV and Internet access which is different - but felt quite gimmicky. There was only a shower in the bathroom, no bath, which is a little disappointing.

Breakfast was fine - the usual Doubletree offer.

Overall this would have been a 3/4 star review had it not been for a poor check in experience that soured the whole stay. I felt fobbed off, which isn't good when I spend so much money with Hilton every year.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Jetset00
pjedgar, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Please email our Front of House Manager on Julia.Trenz@hilton.com and we can discuss these issues further.

Regards,

DoubleTree Leeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

After two previous stays at this hotel and I decided to stay in the suite at a cost of £190 per night up on arrival our friends just booked a standard room but was nicely upgraded to a better room free of charge due to a request of close rooms. However this was the best part of our stay every time and I mean every time I left my room I had to get reception to let me back in due to a issue with the cards, blamed on my mobile phone which was in the room may I ad. This wore really thin as the day and night wore on and each time it took the staff longer and longer to attend and let us in our room. So to say the least come 12 am after returning to our hotel the manager had to be informed and well it was just a complete waste of time no compassion show so ever! The bose speakers in the room didn't work and the bathroom was really dirty and dusty the bed had spots of blood stained into the sheets and covers!!! The mini bar was nice not to much in it but was a nice added extra. Right here we go with the massive down fall....sky lounge.booked a table for four on the website with nice birthday drinks and a meal in mind we were greeted with rude staff and led to our table well I say table it was the kind you find in a bar to rest you beer on not the kind four of you sit at and dine!! After drinking our first drink and the rudest staff along side of not even been given or seeing a menu we left. The morning after we had breakfast which was ok thats about it just ok.to round off this hotel I'd say it's pretty poor with issues to be sorted out mainly customer service issues next stay in leeds definightly won't be here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ricardo221109
Dear Guest,

Regards,

DoubleTree Leeds
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed at the Doubletree, Leeds last night (Saturday). Lovely hotel, great location, Skylounge bar on top floor which had a buzzing atmosphere, lovely cocktails and excellent views over Leeds and the Leeds Liverpool Canal. Loved the warm cookies on arrival, nice welcoming touch. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal, rather than the railway station.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Elspeth N, PA to the General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay and our welcome cookies.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We've stayed here on many occasions since it became the Doubletree and have thoroughly enjoyed every one.

The location is ideal. A short walk from the train station and shops / bars / restaurants in the town centre.

The complimentary cookies upon check in provide a great welcome from very polite and helpful staff!

The whole place is immaculate. The bedrooms and bathrooms are absolutely spotless with bright decor. The toiletries in the bathroom smell gorgeous too.

The beds are some of the largest and comfiest I have ever experienced in hotels with huge fluffy pillows and soft duvets.

Big apple macs in every room are great for work or entertainment.

Depending which side of the hotel you stay in, there are some great views of the city, the station and the canal.

Breakfast in the morning is fantastic and has a very relaxed atmosphere in the morning. Lots of choice and a huge bright space to sit and eat with floor to ceiling windows next to the canal.

In the evening, the Sky Bar on the top floor is worth a visit - it gets very busy but does great cocktails, and again lovely views of the city from the outside area.

The Doubletree is a fail safe option for a lovely stay in Leeds.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
What a super review! Delighted you like our hotel and have experienced great service on each occasion when staying here. We are very proud of both our location, facilities and staff and it is really nice of you to take the time to detail your thoughts. I will pass on your comments to the team.

We hope to welcome you again here soon.

leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great stay for two nights. Friendly helpful staff.Great location for visiting city centre with good restaurants nearby by. Breakfast was of good quality, can sometimes be disappointing in some hotels . The breakfast room was beautiful with glass walls looking onto the waters of the canal, very peaceful, bright and sunny. I will go back again when I am in Leeds.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for feeding back your thoughts. Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and its location looking over the canal. We are very lucky to be placed in such a unique spot and delighted you liked this too.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Was here for 3 nights and there was nothing to complain about. Many restaurants nearby, breakfast was good and the service gave no reason to compain.
A good business hotel, nothing partiularely exiting.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Remnik
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. You are right in saying that we are well placed for bars and restaurants, both in the hotel and around the Granary Wharf. Glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast too.

We hope you return again soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Regular visitors to Leeds but first time here. Excellent hotel with friendly staff, good rooms and a very interesting (but busy at weekends) sky bar. Plenty of bars nearby as well. I am a traditionalist who prefers parking and breakfast included rather than separate as here but not going to let £12 per day to park ruin it - especially as there is a perfect little cafe across the way that does nice breakfasts - much cheaper than the hotel. Have already booked to return in a few months and will be our base of choice in future.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank neils603
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and delighted that you will be returning.
We look forward to welcoming you back.