“Great place to stay in Leeds centre”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay in Leeds centre”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Doubletree by Hilton in Leeds city centre is ideally placed for walking into the city. Right by the canal with great walks, especially to the fascinating Industrial Museum, pubs and cafes around. The hotel restaurant offers superb food at a reasonable price. I would certainly stay again and recommend to all.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Nice room, clean, tidy and large. Room service was excellent, would recommend the penne pasta salad! iMac in room seems a little OTT, most people now travel with laptops/tablets so don't really see the point, just give me a TV please. Giant spiders inhabiting the outside of the windows on the 6th floor... a little disconcerting to think one may be cuddling up with you!!! Problems at check-in, could have been resolved there and then... instead took 2 hours

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

ElN_1, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. It is good to hear you enjoyed the room and that you received excellent service from our Room Service team. It is great to know you would recommend the Penne Pasta Salad, your comments will be passed on to the Chef.

It is disappointing to hear you had such a slow check-in which spoilt your arrival experience. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Your comments on the iMac are noted. We have a mix of views, some love having an iMac in the room and others are not so keen. We do hope you benefited from the complimentary wifi during your stay and hope you will consider staying with us again.

Kind regards

Guest Relations Team
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

When I checked in for 5 nights I asked for a nice view, I was given a room overlooking Leeds railway station and about 20 rail tracks and platforms. I had a small problem with the TV within 2min a young lady called Zoe came to sort it out, which she did, while she was their I told her I wasn't happy with the view and did ask at reception for a nice view, she told me she would be back in less than 5min and she was, I was told I would have to pay an extra £10 a night for a room with a view, I didnt know or was told that when I booked. When I went back to reception a young man from Sri Lanka said they would waver the extra £50 for the 5 nights.
Apart from that problem which took 5min to sort out, I had a very nice stay. the cocktail bar on the roof had views all over Leeds, staff were very friendly, I will stop their again next time I am in Leeds for sure.

Room Tip: When you check in make sure you get a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Caterham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had two standard rooms for two nights - and the hotel was absolutely fine for a reasonably recent inner city box hotel. The staff we encountered were all very pleasant and efficient. The Doubltree gets brownie points from me for providing free wifi - something which was a deciding factor for me when choosing between this hotel and the Marriott (and the parking is cheaper). The rooms are well equipped and the shower room is great (again, loads better than the Leeds Marriott bathrooms). Sadly the rooms, though very well equipped and appointed (wine glasses, tumblers, bottled water and ice buckets - yay!) are all a bit greige and dull looking. The only splash of colour was a red chair - no cushions and only a mean looking and dull coloured throw on the bed. The room looks as if it was due for new carpet and paint - and though generally the room was very clean, the insides of the windows needed cleaning - and the inside corner of the shower needs to be cleaned with the door shut - there was a bit wodge of mould - only visible when you are in the shower.

It was odd that the second set of towels was not in the bathroom but in the wardrobe - which I only found out when I came out of the shower!
Minor niggles to some - but these are the sort of things that irritate me!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ElN_1, Guest Relations Team at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments and we are pleased to hear you chose our hotel over other 4* hotels in the area. The complimentary wifi is appreciated by many guests and it is encouraging to see this played a part in your choice.

It is good to know you felt the room was well equiped, although the very simple colour-scheme we have in our rooms was not to your taste. We do like to hear all guest comments so that we can make adjustments and improve as and when possible.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind regards

Guest Relations Team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The staff were very friendly throughout the hotel, starting at check in. A few minor problems resolved very quickly. The roof top Sky Bar had great views a nice place to relax. Breakfast was very good. Location is very good with different bars restaurants close by. Would I stay there again, yes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First let's discuss the positives. This is a premium property, well located, and featuring well appointed rooms. Instead of a TV you are provided with a Mac, which might not be to everyone's taste but I found it useful. The property is situated a few minutes walk from Leeds station. Rooms were a fair size and clean. Unfortunately that is where my positive comments end. Service and particularly staff attitude in this property are nothing short of diabolical and this all starts with poor leadership from the top. General Manager Stephen Turner sets the tone for the arrogant and ignorant way staff feel that they can deal with customers.

It all starts with the parking. No one blames the hotel for the limited space that they have but the way the space is organised needs improvement. Expecting a resident to park their car in the middle of a road at midnight then walk into reception to find a member of staff able to let you into the car park is simply not on. There is an intercom, why on earth can that not be activated and used instead? Not unsurprisingly I conveyed my annoyance to the Duty Night Manager. His attitude was one of 'so what'. Apparently, a complaint that his attitude was not appropriate then 'magically' transformed overnight into allegations that the customer was abusive! Yeah, that's right, staff ganging up on a customer who was rightly annoyed over the farcical car park entry procedure at midnight! No apology, no credible explanation, just a defensive blame the customer attitude.

A meeting was arranged the next morning with the General Manager. Well, once I had met him it all fell into place! The tone for an establishment is set by the person at the top. This gentleman was rude, ignorant, and downright hostile and aggressive. From the moment he met me he was dismissive of a very reasonable concern and simply wished to accept the version of events given by his staff. I was asked to leave the property. That's right, complain, and out you go! A frequent customer of Hilton Hotels all over the world just dismissed like that! Whilst discussing my apparent 'abuse' this General Manager was waving his arms about, invading my personal space, and using a tone and volume of voice entirely threatening and unwelcome. He was asked three times not to invade my personal space but he carried on. Unprofessional, combative, and no sense of customer service in any form whatsoever.

He was asked to provide corporate contact details. For the record Doubletree by Hilton Leeds is a franchise owned by the Scottish registered company City Inn Limited. I had to find those details for myself by conducting a trace on the VAT number. None of the details appeared on hotel stationery, a breach of company law. Also, why does it take a General Manager three weeks to forward on the same details? Surely, the GM knows who employs him? In my view this was yet another example of the obstructive and unhelpful attitude of the GM specifically and the hotel generally.

I am sure the property will come back with some rubbish in reply to this review. Those reading should note my long history of reviews on this site. When I think something is wrong then I say so, but you'll be hard pressed to find a review by me as negative as the one I must give to this property. Hopefully I will never have to write such a review again. As for the Doubletree by Hilton in Leeds, you can bet this is not over by any means!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
13 Thank tgsh2007
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Excellent hotel - perfect for a business trip or short city break. Friendly and really helpful staff. Rooms are equipped with all the essentials you need (including Apple Mac!). Very clean and comfy. Nice location beside a very picturesque canal. Just couple of minutes walk from train station. Tasty food and nice bar. They have everything what you would expect from Hilton. If you planning to stay few days in Leeds this hotel definitely will not disappoint you! Recommended!
Have a look inside: http://youtu.be/XNDn44qvX8Y