“Good value and good location in Leeds centre”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Sevenoaks
“Good value and good location in Leeds centre”
Reviewed 15 January 2011

i have stayed in this hotel several times as the City Inn (a better name than the Mint). The check in process is quick and efficient. The rooms are simple but have all the features that you need. The TV is great. Wi Fi was weak in my room this time, but the TV has internet access,

Very good value and only a short walk or taxi ride to several good eateries.

I slept with the window open as the HVAC could not cool the room, in January.

I would stay again at this price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Polish first
Southampton, UK
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I've stayed at the Grand in Leeds previously which is very nice if you like a hotel steeped in tradition but this is superb for a contemporary hotel. The room was a good size, clean, simple, comfortable and, like all the rooms, had an Apple Mac with free full access to the web and TV channels. there's also free wifi, so this a great hotel for business.
It's a tall buildinh (over 300 rooms) with some great views of the city. It's very central and in a plessant location by the refurbished canal.
The staff were friendly and helpful. We have a couple of small quibbles- some cushions hadn't been cleaned and a soap dispenser didn't work but otherwise no problems.
For a hotel of this quality, the price is amazingly good value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Stoke
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Me, my boyfriend and our 2 friends travelled to this hotel- 2 double rooms.
This was our first stay in this hotel and I must say we all thoroughly enjoyed it.
We booked online through the mint hotel website a week or so before Xmas and we paid £143 for 2nights, 31st Dec 10- 2nd Jan 11. For New Years Eve we thought this was a pretty good deal as other city centre hotels were much more pricey.
Booking online was simple and we had confirmation emails straight away. We booked 2 double rooms.

Parking
We live in Stoke, so it took us around 1hr 30mins to get to Leeds (by car) and we arrived there about 3.30/45pm. There is a car park located at the hotel, however this is on a first come basis, so we didn't attempt to get on this car park. Instead there is an NCP car park on Boar Lane, around a 5min walk to the hotel (although it did seem much further with all my bags!) where you can get a voucher from the hotel on check out which means you can park here for £5 per day.

Location
First impressions of the hotel were very nice. There is a canal next to the hotel which some of the rooms overlooked. On the other side of the hotel was Leeds Train station where other rooms overlook the platforms.
It is a city centre hotel so you are well placed for all your needs. It is a short walk to the shops and bars, so definitely come here if you want to be well placed. The good thing about this hotel is that you dont feel like you are in the middle of town, but just placed well enough to feel like your close enough if you need anything.

Check-In
This was a very simple and quick, and the staff were very friendly. We had 2 key cards for our rooms, and were quickly on our way to our rooms. As we were travelling as a group of 4, 2 double rooms, both rooms were on the 4th Floor, pretty much opposite each other which we were pleased with. There are 3 lifts located next to the reception, so we took our own bags with us.

Rooms
The rooms are very nice and smart and they are a good size. Our room overlooked the train station which wasn't a problem for us as there was no noise you could hear, just remember if you can see them, they can see you...
One of the features of mint hotel rooms is that they all come with an i-mac system with free wi-fi. This is a TV/computer/dvd player all in one. It had satellite channels (although not so good for the girls as we had to put up with the boys watching darts and football on Sky Sports, but they enjoyed it! Apart from Phil Taylor losing as he's from our neck of the woods... anyway i'm digressing....)
Although if you are not so good with technology, I do think you might struggle to work the TV as it is not your standard remote control, but there is instructions so just might take some time.
There is full length mirror, mirrors on the wardrobe and a standard mirror by the table, which all came in very handy.
One of the minor issues which I would say about these rooms, is that there is not much storage space. There isn't no bedside drawers which I usually find come in handy. The wardrobe was big enough for our 2 night stay but any longer than this we might have struggled. There was just enough drawers in the desk and in the wardrobe area.
There was an iron and ironing board which we didn't use, and a hair dryer which I used which was good.
Tea/Coffee facilities were in the room. There were 2 wine glasses, and 2 regular glasses to drink from. There was also an ice bucket, although we couldn't find any ice machines on our floor which some other hotels have.
Air conditioning was good, and the rooms were very warm which was good as we were just coming out of the 'big freeze'.
The bathroom was compact but more than ideal. There was a small walk in shower, with a very good power shower, which was more than ideal. They also supplied a large shower gel in the shower which was stocked, as well as hand wash, and the smaller bottles of moisturiser/shampoo which you get in hotels. It was a nice bathroom, just missed a bath, but that was fine with us.
The only other issue I would have with this hotel which is definately a personal preference, is that the room wasn't dark enough! I like to sleep in pitch blackness, literally. There was 2 lights on the air conditioning which were very bright (I even resorted to putting plasters over the lights to make it more darker!) And there was a small gap where the curtains didn't reach the end of the window! This should not be a problem for you, I think it's just me, just next time I will take an eye mask!
My friend had brought a dress earlier that day and had noticed that the bow which was on it was slightly coming off and she wanted to sew it back on, looking through the information packs in the room, it said you could hire a sewing kit for £1, which she was going to ask about at reception. However, whilst looking through the drawers in the wardrobe, we noticed that there was a 'mending kit'. It was a just a needle with different colour cottons, which was perfect for what she wanted to do. It certainty is the little things that make hotels special!
Breakfast
As you can imagine New Years Day we might have been feeling a little worse for wear and needed as much sleep as we could get (after having a fab night out new years eve!), so we decided to opt out of breakfast this morning! However we did have it the following morning. How this breakfast was served was a new experience for me, I am used to going hotel where the food is self service, and all the sausages/eggs/bacon you help yourself to. Whereas here there is a breakfast menu where you can choose what you want and then have it cooked for you. There is still all the cereals/fruits/ juices on the side for you to help yourself to.
I haven't yet decided what I prefer, as for one,we asked for bacon but didn't get any, and there isn't the option of how many sausages or how much bacon you want. Although this way the food was fresher and made to order. I think there is pros and cons to each. But the breakfast was lovely, I had fried egg, beans and sausage and toast.

Check-out
This was again very simple and we paid on check out. We didn't use any room service or have anything from the mini bar so we had nothing extra to pay. The reception staff were again very friendly and more than helpful. We also got our parking voucher on checkout as well.

Overall
We would definitely stay here again and I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends.
We had a really enjoyable stay and it was a great way to start off 2011!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We spent a couple of days here in December. The room was lovely and spotlessly clean. It had everything you would expect from a large chain hotel, plus a few little extra such as mini bar and Imac TV. We thought the hotel might be noisy due to the size, but this was not the case.

Breakfast choice was superb (continental and English) lots of pastries/muffins/bagels etc and hot food cooked to order. The service was very quick, although we made sure we ate very early to avoid the rush.

We visited the Sky Lounge which was completely full, but a very helpful waitress managed to find us a chair from somewhere. Apparently you can reserve tables, but we were not aware of this. Not sure we would revisit the lounge if we ever return to the hotel. A little too crowded for us, and maybe a little expensive…..perhaps we’re just not as young as we were!

Parking is available for £12 a day (24 hours). We wasted quite a bit of time searching for an NCP car park which had been recommended at just £5 per day. When we eventually found it, there was also an overnight charge of £12 which made it more expensive than the hotels own.

In summary – very easy to see why this is the No.1 hotel in Leeds.

P.S. If you have time to go the armoury museum is an absolute must, and its free.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I own a crash pad near here and do tend to pop in for food with my husband or clients of mine for a bite to eat at times.

The restaurant is very large, all uniformed tables decked out with crisp white table clothes and flowers.
Very good classy cutlery and wine glasses.
As with many hotel restaurants it lacks any type of atmosphere.
Maybe they should develop the frount part of it to be more like a restaurant than a hotel dining room.
Plenty of residents and locals around to target.
I have noticed it is way too quite for a place with such high quality food.

The staff here are to be highly praised at most times, just the one time when things were not quite right.
Just the usual thing of when a place is very quiet, the staff going off the boil sort of thing!
All in all good though.

Now the food here is exceptional.
I must of eaten here on an evening or lunchtime about eight times now, and I think the standard and quallity of food is second to none.
Portion wise all is good,.
Taste wise all is good.
The menu is ok, nothing flash, but the food sent out by the kitchen staff is top notch.
I would like to compliment them on the presentation of the plates as well.
Food that looks as good as it tasted.

The prices charged are very good for what you get.
They do a two course and three couse set menu as well, so that is always good.
They do add a service charge however, so that for me is a down side.
I tip well as a rule, but do not like a service charge to be added.
Each to their own on that though!

So all in all, a good place for top quality food, it just lacks atmosphere.
A great shame in my opinion.
I will continue to go, as it is local and it is good.

Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Very nice hotel. I stayed in Nov 11 when it was called City Inn. I'd stayed in the Manchester one previously and was impressed with that too.

Clean room, nicely decorated, apple tv / internet, good bathroom, floor to ceiling windows, nice breakfast. There's a really good pub opposite the hotel under the arches too.

I'd definitely stay again, although it is a good 10/15 mins walk to the centre of town, this is not too much of a sacrifice.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We booked Mint Hotel for New Year's Eve 2011. Because we were booking quite late I expected us to not be able to get a luxury standard hotel room but I was pleasantly surprised. We booked the City Suite, which comprises of two rooms (a table, sofa and living area and a bedroom, both with Imac TV, and bathroom).
The car park staff were great - as soon as we pulled up a man came out of the hotel and told us where to park. It does cost £12 to park overnight but this lasts until midnight the next day so we didn't mind.
In our room, we were greeted by a box of 6 delicious complimentary chocolates, a fresh fruit bowl and a complimentary bottle of wine. Unfortunately, this wasn't made clear so we didn't drink the wine (our welcome card only said a 125ml measure) - but if you are staying in this room, take advantage of the bottle of red or white allocated.
The room was immaculate - absolutely pristine - you couldn't have found a speck of dust if you tried. I usually have issues with where mirrors and plugs are situated but in the bedroom area there is a fold up large mirror on the wall above the desk with a lamp and double socket, perfect for doing make up and plugging in hairdryers, straighteners etc. - plus a stool the right height to see into the mirror.
In the bathroom, the bath has a shower attachment for washing hair easily and there were gorgeous White Company toiletries. You also get big fluffy bathrobes.
The wardrobe had ample hanging and drawer space and even a couple of padded hangers for luxury items. The Imac TVs have freeview and are easy to use.
The most impressive finishing touch were the Christmas decorations - a quality white tree lavished with purple baubles and a large fishbowl vase with stunning decorations inside.
We visited the Sky bar - a fabulous cocktail bar on the top floor with panoramic views and a balcony, which was buzzing.
We didn't get breakfast in the restaurant as we ordered room service and, although pricey (as would be expected), this was good.
IF YOU ARE EATING IN LEEDS - We had called the hotel beforehand and a very helpful member of staff talked us through restaurant options. We chose Blanc's Bistro but this wasn't as luxury as we had thought and unfortunately we thought we had overlooked the restaurants directly outside the hotel. It is a brand new buzzing area and all of the restaurants near the hotel look great. I'd also recommend getting a taxi into the town for the nightlife as, if you're wearing heels, it's about a 15-minute walk to the bars.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business