“Very nice stay and very helpful staff”

Innkeeper's Lodge Leeds Calverley
Ranked #7 of 25 Leeds B&B and Inns
Cheshire
“Very nice stay and very helpful staff”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked recently for a three day weekend break. We were visiting family, so chose the Calverley Arms, as it was both convenient and reasonably priced.

Check-in was really easy, as I had booked in advance. Everything was explained by the Manager and we were directed to our room.

Our room was lovely and clean and very large. Unfortunately, it had two sash windows, one of which was permanently shut and one that we were only able to open about 9 inches. We did have a fan in the room. It was a very hot weekend and we reported it to one of the staff. The Manager came to see us and offered us another room, but as we had unpacked, we opted for another fan, which was supplied very quickly. The bed was big and really comfortable and that makes a difference! Very quiet even with the window open.

Other than the problem with the heat in the room, we had no cause for complaint the whole weekend. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and if we required anything, the staff made sure we were supplied with it. Manager, Bar Staff, Housekeeping and Breakfast Staff were all so helpful. The room was lovely and clean every time we returned to it.

We opted for continental breakfast, though you can pay for a cooked breakfast. The continental breakfast consisted of tea, coffee, fruit juices, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurts, toast, muffins, croissants, jams, marmalades and Philadelphia cheese portions! A variety of cheese portions would have been nice and maybe some boiled eggs. The staff are on hand to warm croissants, etc for you, if you require. Going down to breakfast was a very pleasant experience and staff made us feel very welcome. We felt very comfortable.

All staff responded very quickly to any requests we made. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: A quad room is very comfortable and lots of space.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CheshireBeachbums
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Leeds Calverley, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to Innkeeper’s Lodge.
Best regards
Innkeeper’s Lodge Leeds Calverley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Visited today after a 3-4 year absence. Was hoping things had improved as it was terrible. Our first impression was very poor as our table was that sticky we couldn't lift the paper menus up. We asked for it to be cleaned twice before our food arrived, still waiting.

The food was average, had to change the kids steak and chips as it was dripping with blood.

Belly pork very fatty and chewy.

Definitely not going back, which is a shame as it has a beautiful setting and a large garden.

• Stayed July 2013
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Leeds Calverley, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. We were very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your recent visit to the Restaurant and we have replied to you personally about this.
Best regards
Innkeeper’s Lodge Leeds, Calverley

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

essex
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed at this place for one evening as I was visiting family close by and first impressions were very good on arrival. Plenty of free car parking available and staff friendly enough whilst checking in. The room was huge and in very good state of repair. The facilities provided within the room certainly met our needs.

Breakfast was of continental variety and plenty to choose from. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Would definitely recommend and will use this place again when in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sc1fc
Innkeepers_Lodge_01, Public Relations Manager at Innkeeper's Lodge Leeds Calverley, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments following your visit to Innkeeper’s Lodge.
Regards
Innkeeper’s Lodge
Leeds
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My sister in Law booked a table for Father's Day and Father in Laws birthday and when I was told where we were going I was looking forward to my visit as my previous visit was 10 years before that and it was wonderful. My Husband, Son and I were the last of the party to arrive and we received a warmish but slightly rushed welcome and the waitress took our drinks order. The restaurant wasn't too busy at this stage, but eventually she came back to take our food order. We waited over 45 minuets for our food with no explanation as to the delay and when it came it wasn't all together and took another 5-10 minuets for all the dishes to arrive (10 people in the party) The food was very disappointing for the prices and the length of time waited. I had the Sunday roast with beef and it was probably the worst Sunday roast I've had. The roast potatoes were burnt although didn't notice at first as the beef and Yorkshire pudding were served on top of them. I mentioned this and the waitress brought me some more which were barely cooked!!! The gravy that covered my food was mainly grease and everything else was overcooked. The others in the party were also disappointed with their dishes too. We decided to order desert and this was a mistake!! At £4.95 for cheesecake I was hoping for better, unfortunately will never know as when it was again eventually served I was disgusted. The plate was so hot that the creme fresh it was served with had turned to a runny liquid and the plate was so dirty with old food stuck to it and 2 chips out of the side and dirty black marks all over the edges that I sent it straight back and as she lifted it away from me the bottom of the dish was even worse so I declined their offer of a replacement. The others in my party also had dirty plates too, it appeared as though they had just been rinsing the dishes under the hot tap and then using them. I decided to have a quiet chat to the managers away from the table mainly to bring the issue of low standards to there attention. There attitude wasn't the best and they told me all our plates go through the pot wash!!! That was it, no apology for the long wait, standard of food or cleanliness of crockery and they didn't seem to care. Looking around the waiting staff all looked rushed and gradually more unhappy during our 2 hour stay. I will not be visiting again and warning to others: do not be fooled by the pretty grounds and exterior.

Room Tip: Only ate in the restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jobrady44
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We stopped for lunch and decided to sit outside in a sunny spot. where we noticed that seasonal salads were being served which sounded very nice as it was described in a full paragraph at a 12 pound each so we thought that we are up for a treat? How wrong and disappointed we were ! First it took ages to try to get the attention of the only two young and obviously inexperienced waitresses as they were running around like a headless chickens trying to serve the frustrated looking customers at a busy lunch hour. After nearly 20 minutes, we finally managed to order drinks of tonic water and a bottle of corona as well as the two seasonal salads. After a along wait, at last we got our drinks which were virtually slammed on the table by a miserable waitress and when I asked her to bring me an empty glass as I normally don't drink my beer straight from the bottle, she gave me a strange look and left in a huff then returned back with an empty glass and slammed it again on the table!! As it was a nice day, we decided not to spoil our lunch break by her pathetic attitude. It took a further twenty minute to get our seasonal salmon salads which to our disgust turned out to consist of three lettuce leaves sparingly sprinkled with grated carrots, a couple of peas and pomegranate seeds!! THATS IT!!! It was absolutely distrustful having to pay over £30 for two lousy salads and service. No wonder most of other diners including a couple of frail old ladies were happily munching through a pile of greasy chips and processed beef burgers which are cheaper option to salads!! When the waitress asked me if I enjoyed my meal as I was paying the bill, I frankly told her how pathetic the salads and service was and stormed out of that stinky place,
Having lately being generally experiencing a substandard poor services coupled with lousy over priced food in various dining facilities, we decided to limit our dinning out to a minimum and instead try to have picnics in the country side like the good old days!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glahoud1
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

At 3pm on a Friday afternoon I thought it would be quieter after the lunch time rush. There were a few diners in and we were shown to a table. Waiting for our guests to join us we ordered some hot drinks; we were served a pot of tea and five minutes later the coffee arrived. Our guests arrived later and we ordered some cold drinks via the waitress but they didn't arrive and we were told they were very busy. We had to be personally obtain the drinks from the bar ourselves. Our food was ordered from a basic fixed price menu and served within a reasonable waiting time. The portions were just OK and nothing on any plate had a WOW impact. There were no staff around and nil points were scored for diner attentiveness. I had to walk around the restaurant after we had eaten to find staff to ask them for the bill. Not a good experience and I will not dine there again and I am glad we were not staying in the hotel bearing the poor service we were given.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Chosen-Path
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stopped off for a late Saturday lunch. We had to wait quite a while at the bar. We got served eventually.

Saw the sign that said "wait here to be served". So we did. We waited and waited. There was a member of staff nearby relaying cutlery on tables and I'm sure she saw us.

Waitress finally must have realised that the tables could wait (they weren't full and there was no-one waiting to be sat at the tables she was relaying) and seated us.

She didn't direct us to a table that she'd been relaying, there were plenty of others.

I was surprised by the menu, as the food on offer was more interesting than your usual pub fare. We both decided what to order and we waited. Again. We waited a good while for someone to take our order. Tried to make eye contact with the staff but no luck.

The waitress that did take our order was friendly. It was just a shame that we'd had to wait so long. The restaurant didn't look busy at all.

It didn't take long for the meals to arrive and we both liked our food. I ordered toad in the hole, which was nice although I could have done with more gravy and the mash wasn't great. Good value though at £6.50. I would return, but only if I thought it wouldn't be too busy as I dread to think what it is like when it is busy.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Holbeck
Clayton Hotel Leeds
Clayton Hotel Leeds
#13 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Leeds Calverley? Share your experiences!