“Fantastic place”

Ranked #395 of 1,857 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Holbeck
Leeds
“Fantastic place”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Fantastic place and amazing food. Especially the fish and chips and steak. Staff were friendly and professional. Had an amazing time there with friends and cant wait to come back.

wakefield
“NOTHING OUTSTANDING”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

On arrival, on a very very wet day, had to 'wade' my way to the front door, I understand this is the British weather but a massive puddle on the doorstep is not a good welcome!!
Met my friend who had just arrived before me, I was very surprised to find only one toilet, which was shared by men and women--is that allowed ???
Anyway the waitress took our drink order, which yes the wine was lovely and chilled to perfection!!
I must say I thought the menus were a little 'worn' could do with a visit to the printers soon!!
I ordered chicken caeser salad, nice but a bit short on chicken,for the difference in price for chicken or no chicken I think I could have done chickenless!! my friend had beef sandwich which had a quite a bit of gristle/fat in it. Waitress was lovely and friendly but I dont think I will be rushing back, there are plenty of places in Leeds I will try before going here again.

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

After reading all the great reviews on tripadvisor we decided to have some lunch at the Engine House Cafe. We went with high expectations but unfortunately the Engine House did not meet them. Althought the building is nice, it feels a bit neglected and needs some much needed tlc. Especially the one toilet. Which with there being only one you would think would be well looked after. As well as the building condition, our menu's were stained and the lunch time menu's were shabby crumpled pieces of paper. There was a good choice of dishes but slightly high priced. I had a steak sandwich at £8.95 which was slightly fatty and I did not think it was very good value. Service a bit slow, took a while to be asked if wanted a drink after receiving the menus. When getting the bill, after 20 mins had to go find someone to pay it.

I do think this place has great potential, I don't know if they have taken their foot off the gas with regards to keeping the place fresh and good value but hope they sort it out soon so they deserve all the praise.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A fantastic little eaterie!”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I came here after some glowing recommendations on Trip Advisor and I was not disappointed! We were seated straight away and were made to feel very welcome. It's a gorgeous little building full of character and we felt that fantastic buzz of a cosy evening meal out.

We deliberated a long while over the brilliant choice on the menu but the scallops were delicious as a starter and the one I would recommend! So fresh and packed full of flavours. For the main I went for the burger with onions and blue cheese. The bread bun was a little soggy but I didn't really eat that but as the burger meat and the portion of chips were huge! For dessert I opted for the treacle tart with rum raisin ice cream, which was an absolute delight although the rum was really strong!

The Engine House Cafe has a fantastic menu and very attentive staff. The size of the room is just right and the atmosphere was fab. Thank you!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A great little find”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We were going to try an italian on dock street but having read the reviews it was a no no so booked in here for meal. Arrived early but got seated straight away the staff all girls were wonderful and ever so pleasant the starters fab and the main course of chicken was lovely there were five people in our party and we all enjoyed the meal the bottle of wine was gorge and the bread and butter pudding was super.All in all the it was a very chilled and relaxed place to eat and the price of everything was very reasonable no service charge was applied but we left a generous tip for a wonderful meal and wonderful staff thanks

• Visited March 2012