“Does what it says on the tin”

Holiday Inn Express Leeds East
Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here on 13th Dec 2013 with my wife,the staff were welcoming and friendly.The room was large and bright and spotless.We were surprised to find that the breakfast,though limited ,was well cooked and ample.We would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
HIE_LeedsEast, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds East, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay, I was delighted to hear that you found staff welcoming and friendly and your guest room met your expectations.
Thank you also for your kind comments regarding the buffet breakfast.
I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Arrived around 9.15pm, the hotel car park was completely full, there's no demarkation between the hotel parking and parking for the Toby Grill next door, so it's a free for all.

Got to my room to find it was like an ice box, the heater is linked to the key card holder so while unoccupied the room is unheated, a ridiculous state of affairs, and considering it was 8C outside I dread to think what the rooms will be like when the weather gets colder. Needless to say, even by 11pm the bathroom and bed were still unacceptably cold. The bed was soft by HIE standards which is a comment I've seen in many reviews. The hotel does generally have a tired feel about it so maybe the mattresses are past their sell by date.

In the morning I hopped into the shower to find the soap dispenser was completely empty, more disturbing was the cleanliness, mildew and brown gunge around the shower frame, inside and out, and worst of all various hairs from the previous occupant.

The breakfast area here is the smallest I've encountered at any HIE, it was rammed when I went down for breakfast so I was unable to sit down for anything. The Toby Carvery next door serves breakfast but doesn't start until 9am which is no use to most business travellers.

On departure I was asked how my stay was, I explained the problems and I've never seen a receptionist glaze over so quickly, very poor service, not what IHG group promises to its 'Gold' priority club members. In fairness on previous stays I've found the female reception staff to be excellent, but the guy on duty (5th December) was not a great ambassador for the brand.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HIE_LeedsEast, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was sorry to hear that you had parking problems, the hotel does have an overflow car park located at the side of the hotel which guests are welcome to use if the main car park is full.
I was also sorry to hear that you found the room cold on your arrival, we do heat the rooms prior to guest arrival when temperatures drop, however, as we do not wish to overpower guests checking in we use our discretion as to when we activate the heating, please accept my apologies for the wrong judgement in this case.
The hotel is of high standard and I was sorry to hear that the furnishings and matteress were not to your satisfaction, however, I would like to thank you for bringing the empty soap dispenser and the standard of cleanliness in the room to my attention, this is totally unacceptable and I hope you will accept my apologies. I will investigate the cleaning schedule in place during your stay.
The breakfast area can be very busy during peak times and I am sorry for your disappointment. at not been able to sit down, we do clear the tables as soon as guests leave to enable other guests to enjoy breakfast.
Once again thank you for all your comments, guest feedback is very important to us in order for us to review and improve our services and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Average hotel but looked after well. Located next to a large pub which is great for meals and drinks. Plenty of parking spaces and quick and easy check-in. Spacious rooms, although we were given a wheelchair access one....Anyway, they flush never worked and I had to do some handy work to put a temporary fix but we were too tired to complain and were leaving first thing. Under £40 and free breakfast for 2 people, not bad but nothing special.

Thank m.obrien83
HIE_LeedsEast, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds East, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the hotel. Firstly I would like to apologise for the problems you had with the flush in your guest room if we had of been aware of the situation we would have either rectified the problem or changed your room.
Thank you also for your kind comments regarding your quick and easy check in and spacious rooms, the hotel prides itself on high standards whilst offering good value.
Once again thank you, guest feedback is always appreciated in order for us to review and improve our services and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Everything on the tin delivers ... Great value and the breakfast is great and has all you need with great sausages to complete the meal . Try them they are better than you think ;-) local to a Toby restaurant so good venue for evening meal on a late arrival .

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your lovely comments. I was delighted to hear that you found the hotel good value with a great breakfast. The hotel prides itself on high standards and I am pleased that we met your expectations.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed for one night as one of a large party which arrived late in the evening. Check in was quick and efficient. The room very good and spacious although the bed was a little wallowy.

The breakfast buffet was adequate, although why no bacon I'm not sure and the sausages weren't the best.

Unfortunately the wi-fi wasn't working for my whole 24hr stay.

I'd certainly stay here again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay, I was delighted to hear that you found check in quick and efficent and your room spacious.
The cooked breakfast is standard and of high quality I was sorry to hear that it did not meet your expectations.
I was also sorry to hear that the wi-fi was not working during your stay, once we are aware of any problems we try to rectify it as soon as possible.
Once again thank you for your comments which are always appreciated in order for us to review and improve.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

we booked a single nights stay at this holiday inn express for the bargain price of £34 for two people including breakfast.
me being a pescimist assumed it would turn out to be hostel (and I even admit that i did consider taking a sleeping bag to avoid catching something - a friend just caught impertigo from a hostel so not totally without warrant although probably slightly extravagent!)

We arrived and it looked okay, very quiet and no one at front desk... which set alarm bells ringing for me!
but once we located someone to check us in, he was very friendly and welcoming, showed us to our room .... which was MASSIVE! we had managed to get a disabled room which had a wet room and so much space - very pleasantly surprised.

Comfy bed and choices of pillows. only downside was that dispite all rooms being non-smoking someone had clearly sparked up in a room next door.

next big plus was breakfast. everything you could possibly wish for.... yogurts, fruit, croissants, muffins, toast, marmite, coffee, juice. you name it, they had it.

except for bacon... gutted! but i understand their reasoning since everyone likes their bacon different it would be hard to please everyone so they just omit it from the menu. no major drama :)

absolutely amazed at the price and quality of our stay. would recommend to anyone! only disappointed we didnt get chance to use the swimming facilities!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay and for your kind comments regarding your comfortable guest room, however I would like to apologise for the smell of cigarette smoke it is as you say a non-smoking hotel and if we are aware of guests smoking we would issue a warning.
I was also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

A lovely stay, made even better by the wonderful Anne. She went above and beyond in helping us enjoy our stay, a credit to the Holiday Inn. Treat this lady to something special for Xmas, because loyal hardworking staff like Anne do not come around often! :)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HIE_LeedsEast, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kind comments regarding loyal hardworking staff, I will certainly ensure that your comments are passed on to the team members.
I was delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay and once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.