“Clean, Convenient, Cheap”

Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Clean, Convenient, Cheap”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in June as we were visiting family. The place was spotlessly clean and had a free buffet breakfast which really made the stay economical. Breakfast was cereals, toast, pastries, croissants, fruit, scrambled eggs, sausages and beans with coffee and fruit juice plentiful.

The family room was a bit cramped with the sofa bed up. It was a bit of a squash but you could just about get around the bed to the window. City centre hotels do not tend to be that spacious so we accepted this as standard.
Bathroom was smart, clean and modern but no bath - just a large shower cubicle.

We were on the 5th floor so we didn't hear any noise despite us overlooking the main road at the front.

Room was clean and nicely decorated. The main bed was comfortable with choice of soft or firm pillows but the mattress on the mechanical sofa bed had seen better days and my daughter complained of uncomfortable springs.

Car parking was £5 per night, payable on arrival to reception who give you a code for the barrier.

Good economical place to stay but not if you are using the sofa-bed!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JoH1967
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to record your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay! I'm sorry your daughter found the sofa bed to be a little uncomfortable and as we are getting another 18 new sofa beds on Monday 25th June I will make sure we replace the one from your particular room.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

been there for 4 nights, the stuff was extremely helpful and kind, the food was ok, rooms are new and clean, cannot beat that price :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay!
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for two nights recently over the Diamond Jubilee weekend. We have stayed before and we were again delighted with our experience.
We booked early through the Holiday Inn website and paid £41 for each night in a double room with a breakfast included. The breakfast is simple and help yourself but it certainly hits the spot. This is very good value indeed.
Car parking is secure and costs £5 per night and only £3 if you are a Priory Club member.
The location of the hotel is great with easy access to the city. If you don't fancy a walk then the Leeds taxis are excellent value for money.
You can get a meal at the hotel but we have always eaten out. There is a huge choice of eateries in Leeds to suit every taste and budget.
Service at the hotel was always polite and professional with reception always staffed. Wifi is charged at a daily rate but there is internet access near reception on a pay as you go basis.
Leeds is the 'party night out' capital of the north. That is the conclusion we have reached after many visits over the past few years so don't be put off by all male or all female groups at this hotel, dressed in an assorted array of weird and sometimes amusing clothing. They are managed well by the hotel and seem to be allocated rooms on lower floors. We have never been disturbed yet. Most hotels in Leeds seem to cope well with the 'party' ideology balancing the differing needs of their guests.
To conclude, this Hiexpress is very good and we will certainly use again in the future.

Room Tip: Upper floors for quiet rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Suffolkholidayperson
Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on our hotel and I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay! As you say, it does pay to book early as you can get some really good rates on the Holiday Inn Express websites. I look forward to seeing you next time you're back in Leeds!
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Located the hotel easily enough, but had difficulty finding the entrance. Good hotel, good food, and all the staff could not have been more helpfull. Parking £3 per night, which is good value. Nice clean room, and although facing a busy road, was reasonably quiet. T.V. was a bit difficult to change channels, and there was only 2 tea bags, and 2 coffee portions, but not a complaint. Free wi-fi in public areas. Enjoyed our stay, but the Stirling Hotel is slightly better (sorry Leeds staff) and has more facilities near by.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the weekend (25-27 may) with a friend in a twin room. Its situated about a mile from the shops and university so not too far to walk and there is a bus stop down the road that will take you to the city centre for £1. The hotel is clean and modern with fairly big rooms however there is no wifi in the rooms, no fridge, no room service and no meals available in the hotel after breakfast. The breakfast included is good with all the basics such as cereal, fruit, toast, pastries, sausage, egg and beans. I would stay again as it was fairly cheap and generally a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank amymadd
durham
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed here in April 2012 for a night and as it was a rush job ,couldnt argue with the hotel,but the main problem was the finding of it as the sat nav couldnt locate it.
Roadworks on entrance are easily missed and hotel should advise this as we drove around in circles to get the right exit.
Breakfast free for all,but prefer more selection,wouldnt stay here again as i prefer to more near the city as this was agood walk away .
couldnt fault staff or cleanliness and room quite nice.parking good

Room Tip: check for roadworks with hotel before you go
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dvdwrght7
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel with 2 friends for one night in May. There was a double bed in the room and a fold out couch that had already been made up as a bed for our stay.

After staying the one night on the fold out couch I returned home and on the following evening began to notice bites on my right forearm, about 12 of them scattered up and down my arm but nowhere else. I checked first online then checked with my doctor and were told they looked exactly like bed lice bites (and itched like mad!)

I emailed the hotel and told them what happened, I was replied to the next day and told the room had been inspected by Holiday Inns contract cleaners and they found nothing. I don't know who this company were and when I spoke to the hotel manager she told me they are independent but I'm not sure, I asked if I could get a company to check the room but was told this would not be possible. From there I was just told that I must have got the bites elsewhere ( after a night in Leeds going from bar to bar the only place I stopped for any amount of time was on the holiday inn fold out couch, but this fact was ignored). I asked for a refund or some form of compensation from both the hotel manager and area supervisor but was offered nothing. I was basically treated as if I was after something for nothing and this was definitely wasn't the case. I've stayed in plenty of hotels and never complain, I just felt that being bit to death after staying in a hotel and then holiday inn accepting zero responsibility was pushing it a bit far! I won't be staying in any holiday inns in the future after this experience

Note: I should say that it is perfectly plausible that I could have got the bites outside the hotel, but I just thought I would post my experience and let people make up there own mind.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Mr-F-2012
JudithMillea, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Leeds City Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
There are some inaccuracies in this review. It was not cleaners that inspected the room but an independent firm of pest control specialists (BPCA members) and their report was passed to yourself which confirmed that they could find absolutely no trace of any kind of biting insect or anything that may have caused the marks.

In your own words you confirm “I should say that it is perfectly plausible that I could have got the bites outside the hotel” and with expert advice we can say for certainty that there was no evidence that this happened in the hotel bedroom when it was inspected less than 24 hours after you reported it.

Any such report from a guest is taken extremely seriously and experts are called in. As I advised you at the time, it is always best to check with occurrences like this and I was pleased that the room was found to be completely clean.