“The Hadley Room” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Brick, New Jersey
“The Hadley Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Walking up to the Crowne Plaza, its bland exterior doesn't inspire confidence. But once inside all that prejudgement drips away. The lobby is clean and welcoming. The staff stupendous.

Arriving after 2pm as scheduled there were no available rooms as they had a large exodus that morning. I had been traveling for about 24 hours at that point and inquiring if there was anything at all available, even at a slight rate increase, I was immediately informed that I would be upgraded to a suite for free - The Hadley Room. On the sixth floor the Hadley Room was spacious and included a trouser press. The bed was incredibly large and the room included both a small dining table, large vanity, pull out love seat suitable for one larger adult and wall of windows. The bathroom was clean, spacious and provided a great deal of complimentary supplies. Upon research this room was not much more expensive (and sometimes advertised at the same rate) than the normal double I had originally book and well worth the extra cost.

The distance to the train station and City Centre was ideal. About a 7-8 minute walk from the train station was perfect to catch my early ride to Manchester but also provided a quiet exterior - something hotels closer to the station can suffer a lack of given the raucous forays out of Leeds on a Friday or Saturday night. While there are no restaurants immediately outside of the hotel the 10 minute walk to the City Centre lays a bevy of options at your feet while allowing for a safe walk back to the hotel as it is surrounded by offices and other accommodation sites.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite on the sixth floor. With only a slight increase in price (with sometimes no diffe...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 17 January 2014

Matt Byram

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We had previously stayed at the Doubletree in Leeds and thought we would try the Crowne Plaza this time, not least as we got a deal for GBP 45 per night. We checked in about midnight and it was, like the Doubletree, like arriving at a nightclub. The lobby was full of drunken people and the music was so loud that we could barely hear what the staff member was saying to us. The room was fine. Nothing exceptional, but comfortable (despite quite a small bed). We didn´t spend much time there. One thing that lets it down is the location. Unless you have a reason to be at that end of town, it is a bit of a walk from the centre. We stayed at a weekend and had hoped to be able to park in neighbouring streets free of charge. That wasn´t really possible, as they are all private land or pay and display. 8am-10pm on a Sunday. Still cheaper than the hotel parking though. Good value at GBP 45. Not if we had paid full price.

Room Tip: High floor, to insulate you from the nightclub!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future.

In respect of your comments regarding the noise, it sounds like you stayed when one of our Christmas party nights were taking place. Throughout December we have a number of these take place and do where possible try and place guests not attending them on higher floors. I must apologise that this has impacted your stay. Throughout the rest of the year you would not find the same level of noise.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

The hotel is a tiny bit out of the town centre, 10 minutes walk from station or just off dual carriageway with subsidised parking. Rooms are a good size, clean and well maintained. Conference rooms are over heated and mostly very dark - not sure I would use this place for that. Breakfast is very typical full English fair, always dry and uninspiring over cooked food and the usual rest of breakfast stuff. If it's not included in your rate I wouldn't bother - there are loads of lovely places nearby for breakfast that will cost you less and be much more edible. The staff in reception though are a delight - friendly, helpful, welcoming and attentive, pretty much everything I want from hotel staff. Fit he space is just what you expect from city centre hotels the staff will be a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road have good sound proof, you owing get disturbed
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some constructive customer feedback.

I was interested to read your comments with regards to your stay but concerned that you were unimpressed with our breakfast offering. Your comments will certainly be forwarded to our Food and Beverage team for further discussion.

I am glad however that our staff seem to have made a lasting impression.

Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

I'm a regular visitor to this hotel and the recent renovation to the rooms is a major improvement. But what make this hotel special is the staff - very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. On a recent visit when cleaning out the room safe I stupidly forgot my passport and didn't discover it until I was checking in at Manchester airport at least an hour drive away. I quickly rang the hotel, they checked my room, found my passport organized a taxi to bring it to me at the airport just in time for me to catch my flight. Thanks guys for going that extra mile!!

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank GraemeShanghai

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please be assured I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team, as they serve as a great motivator. It's always of great interest to read about our staff going the extra mile to delight our guests. I'm glad we were able to help.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst working at the nearby University. It was very well located, just a short walk from the train station and the city centre. The hotel was extremely busy with Christmas parties in the evening but a separate dining room was set up for guests and we were very well attended to by hotel staff, even providing a complimentary bottle of wine. I was a little worried about noise from the revellers keeping me awake, but had a sound night's sleep. The room itself was comfortable and clean and buffet breakfast the next morning was fine, with a good selection to choose from. Staff were friendly and attentive. Would definitely go back next time I visit Leeds.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed over Christmas and could not complain about anything. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be that the pool was not accesible on Christmas Day as the Spa was closed.
Room was lovely and clean and the bed extremely comfortable. Would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please be assured I have taken your comments on board with regards to the gym and its opening hours over Christmas. This is something we are looking at currently for this year and we will certainly take your opinions into consideration.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed here recently as I was attending a Christmas party in the hotel, so it seemed easier to stay on site. Check in wasn't speedy and I obviously hit peak time, but on first look, my room was lovely - spacious, clean and a comfy bed. The bathroom was adequate, but the shower was ineffectual and the shower head couldn't be adjusted, so I had a two inch space to stand in where I could get wet.

The staff were helpful and friendly, and we had a great evening, despite the food being truly awful and over an hour late in being served. It does have a good location, and was good value for money and I would stay again - just wouldn't eat there!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ClaireSEN
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear ClaireSEN,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. I am pleased to read you like our helpful staff and comfortable beds. Please accept my sincere apology for the challenges you experienced with the bathroom facility during your stay. Management has been made aware of this issue and it will be addressed immediately.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have opportunity to welcome you again.

Zelyn N