“Decent family stay”

Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
newcastle upon tyne
“Decent family stay”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I will state now hotel reviews are relative to the price you pay; we got a good deal and paid just over £70:00 pounds per room per night bed and breakfast and got two well equipped adjoining rooms for; me, my wife and our two youngest children; The rooms were fine and had everything we needed but there was however external noise throughout the night from air-ducts (I think) which was a little intrusive. We ate in the dining room and the food was quite good but expensive; breakfast was ok too. We did not use the gym but made use of the pool area which my youngest child loved; parking was extra as was broadband in your room (again expensive); I also think that adult movie advertising in the room in this day in age should be reviewed. This brings me onto the staff; the lady on the desk in the fitness suite the first time we went in seemed to view my family as an inconvenience this I'm pleased to say was in complete contrast to all the other hotel staff who could only be described as amazing; The receptionists, bar staff, restaurant staff were all brilliant and are a real credit to this hotel. I would probably stay here again; A big thank you to the excellent staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank richie42
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please be assured I will pass on your feedback to the relevant managers.

Matt Byram

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Essex UK
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night at this hotel following a concert. It was close to the city centre and all amenities. Room was clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. Reception staff were excellent and gave good advice regarding restaurants and things to do whilst we were there. Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Marske-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here recently for one night only with my husband as we were going to a concert in Leeds. We stayed with hotel points so the room was free. ON checking in we were offerd an upgrade to a suite for £34 which we accepted.
The suite ws very large with a living room kingsize bedroom and large corner bath. The bathroom was lovely and modern. Dressing gowns and slippers were provided as were buscuits and chocolates.
The room wsa clean with the exception of a used cigarette but on the inside window sill.
Breakfast ws nice enough though there was no option for vegetariam sasages that i saw. As another guest mentioned we had to ask staff to bring tea and coffee as we had been forgotten.
On the morning of check out we were disturbed by the maid attempting to enter the room and it would be a suggestion that the staff could check which rooms had been checked out of before disturbing guests.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will certainly mention these housekeeping issues to our Housekeeping Manager.

Oxford
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Hotel feels a little shabby for its 4* rating but is generally fine - in particular the bed linen is lovely, crisp white sheets and a duvet that has some depth to it: good snuggle factor. Similarly towels are thicker than I'm becoming familiar with as many hotels look to cut costs

However the place is badly let down by the breakfast service -
1) Guests left standing, waiting for someone to take their room number so they can go and find a table,
2) Table service appalling - getting coffee is a major challenge I've now been there two nights and on both mornings have had to interrupt reception staff having a chat to get some service
3) This morning for the third day in succession I watched a table sprayed with chemical cleaner without first removing the milk jug....
My breakfast times have been during the week and fairly quiet - The staff appear utterly disinterested in the guests or to quote a colleague who's been there for 6 weeks now .... "they hide." I'm booked in for 30 or so nights and on day 3 I'm seriously thinking about relocating

Room Tip: North side rooms overlook a busy main street - but in fairness the sound insulation is pretty good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Cuillin09
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Guest

After reading your email I would firstly like to apologise that you have not had a good experience with our breakfast service lately.
From the content of your email I think you have already sent your feedback through to our Reception team and that you should have received a personal response from our General Manager yesterday.
If this is not the case please do contact us again.

Louise Styler
PA to General Manager
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just had a lovely week-end up in Leeds staying overnight at the hotel to celebrate a family birthday. From arriving to leaving everything was good, the staff are so friendly and take the time to have a chat with you making you feel very welcome and not just a name on their list. The room was clean and the air con actually worked which was a bonus in the hot weather, bathroom clean & fluffy towels together with nice toiletries. We went to the spa after walking round Leeds and found the pool, steam & sauna all very good and all in working order, unlike some hotels we have stayed in. The hotel is situated a little out of town but you can still walk there, we thought that was a bonus as we had a good nights sleep as it was so quiet. We did get a taxi into town on the Sat evening and it was only £3.50 can't complain about that but walked back to the Hotel after having a good meal in Bibi's!!
All in all we had a very good week-end and when next we visit Leeds we shall certainly stay at the Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: We were on the fifth floor and it was so quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of my wifes birthday prezzie and it was the best 2 nights in a hotel we haved stayed at staff were so good and friendly nothing was a problem to them even advised us were to go for a drink and very helpful room was very clean and well cared for. The manager was a nice man even thou he supported leeds united never mind cant wait to go back many thanks to you all at the Crown Plaza Leeds.

Room Tip: Get it booked.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Upon arrival to the hotel I was saddened by the appearance of the hotel, however once I had entered the lobby I was amazed! The staff were polite and helpful and checking in and out was very easy with no bother or hidden costs. The twin room (with two double beds) was amazing. The freebies were a lovely touch and the air conditioning was a life saver! The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and their was not one pube in the bathtub, the cleanliness was unequivocally outstanding! The concierge were very helpful in making sure we had everything we needed. I would however say that more plug sockets are needed, so if your like me and need at least 4 for all the essentials then take an extension lead. I'll definitley be staying at the Crowne Plaza for my future visits to Leeds. Definitely recommended, great hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends