“Ripped Off!!”

Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
“Ripped Off!!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Well, let me start to say this hotel is so so! But for what you pay, it isn't worth it, hence me giving it a low score. To me it's a glorified premier inn, the premier inn I stayed at in Leeds previously was better than this. Felt like I have been well and truly ripped off, and would NOT recommend anybody to stay in this hotel, due purely to the price value that I paid!!!

Granted...the hotel is clean, the beds are comfy, the staff are polite, they do order taxi's for you on request, but what I might add is this is a service offered in all the hotels I have been in previously, so a small fortune has been spent on this hotel, and what a wasted amount of money that was. The hotel isn't far from the train station...it's within walking distance, but to be honest the taxi's are so cheap you might as well jump in a taxi.

The shower was horrendous, run horribly slow, and this was the case in another room also.

Safe to say I won't be staying at this hotel, ever again, unless it's dropped in price value...I don't mind paying a small fortune for hotels that are worth it...but this one wasn't, no different from a premier inn, im my opinion, the premier inn's I have stayed in, in Leeds previously, are better in general, and better value for money. Very disappointed and feel like I have been ripped off.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kirsti W
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.

Matt Byram

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

.....in this case because the last two IHG hotels at which I've stayed were the InterContinental in Sydney - with a view of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House from our window - and the Crowne Plaza at Changi Airport - with its fascinating view of a busy runway. Whichever was the next IHG hotel at which I was to stay was going to be something of a come down after the last two stays. It's certainly not the fault of this hotel that the view from my room was of a demolition site.

There were problems that were within the hotel's control, however. Within minutes of checking-in I took the back cushion from the sofa in my bedroom to reception, so that the burn mark on it (possibly from a cigarette) was not blamed on me. When I checked out two days later the cushion had not been replaced. In daylight I could see a stain on another cushion, which should itself have been replaced.

There are some very positive points about the hotel, including the friendliness of the staff, who most unusually in such an international business seemed to be predominantly from Yorkshire. My room was of a reasonable size, well lit, with a good writing desk and a decent hanging space. The bathroom was clean and well-equipped. Tea and coffee makings are always welcome. Both Radio 3 and Radio 4 were available through the room's television.

The hotel's wifi (now free to IHG Rewards club members of any grade) was acceptable.

The breakfast was perfectly acceptable, except for the milk which seemed to have been watered down (being much thinner than the semi-skimmed milk which we normally use).

The hotel is a little way from the city centre, being a brisk 15 minute walk from Leeds station. It is a striking red brick building, I assume modelled on the mills which used to be so prevalent in West Yorkshire.

The hotel certainly deserves a Very Good rating.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here about 4 times recently and every time it has been a good experience. The hotel is well appointed and in a good central location. It is about a 10 minute, easy, walk to/from the train station. The staff on check in are great always polite, remember you and are really helpful. The rooms (I just stay in standard double bed rooms) are really nice, I have been on 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor facing in most directions. Nice big bathrooms with baths clean enough to use as a bath! Downside is the lack of mini bar, there are fridges that look like they may once have been but they are empty. Also the sheets are not the best in a hotel of this quality, they don't feel very good quality compared to a standard holiday inn I also stay at. The hotel bar is good, TV and friendly bar staff, beer is expensive at £4 per pint but in line with hotels in city centres. The food in the bar is ok, had one issue with the chicken burger not being cooked but was replaced promptly with a free drink. The restaurant (highly recommend the bed, dinner and breakfast option) was good, reasonable choice and recommend the steak with chimmichuri sauce. Room service is good as well although the pizza is very average (too burnt, no veggies and tiny bits of peppers instead of nice fresh vegetables and meat). Overall I would definitely look to use this hotel on my future visits to Leeds where possible.

Room Tip: Sign up for the IHG rewards and get free drink and/or points on checkin.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. Hotel was only a 10 minute walk from the centre. Hotel look nice, foyer was good, rooms were big enough and bed was comfy. Shower wasn't as powerful as i liked but it was ok.

Breakfast was average and service was ok.

Wifi was good and i would stay here again.

only negative was parking was expensive.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

A party of 8 of us visited crowne plaza on sat 26th july staff was very helpful & nothing was too much trouble for them! Clean hotel & wide choice for breakfast! Thankyou sat & suns team! We look forward to coming again soon!X

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here in beginning of June for two nights, didn't get any Platinum benefits except some bonus points. Would of preferred nicer room and upgrade. breakfast is OK. Not more I can say but would of liked to feel appreciated as a loyal customer of IHG

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

London
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked an Executive room as a treat for my son as wanted him to stay in a nice plush hotel with bathrobes / slippers etc. We checked into the hotel early (as agreed by prior arrangement) as we had to get to a Graduation ceremony. However, the room was not as plush as the description in the advertising and there were no bathrobes / slippers / wine in the room - as promised in the advertising.

So my big surprise for my 14 year old son was a big let down. On leaving the hotel for the Graduation, I did ask at Receptions as to whether we had been given an Executive room. I was assured that the room was correct and that the bathrobes / slippers / wine would be in the room on our return. We got back to the hotel at around 5.30pm and although the wine was in the room, the bathrobes and slippers were not. My son had to go down to reception again to report this. They arrived around 20 minutes later.

At breakfast the next morning we were told tea / coffee would be brought to our table - this never happened. We were having a nice leisurely breakfast when a large Hen party with a large blow up doll took all the tables around us. They were very loud and ruined our breakfast. Furthermore, bringing a blow up doll into a dining area where children are present is not acceptable and hotel staff should know this. The Hen party did receive tea / coffee at their table despite arriving after us - maybe having a blow up doll got them better service!

The breakfast was good, however, I feel the hotel advertises itself as being of a high standard when in fact it is very hit and miss. The room we stayed in was very over priced, expected items were not in the room (bathrobes, slippers, wine) and inappropriate behaviour in the dining area went unchallenged. The Executive room is no better than rooms offered by Premier Inn. In fact I have stayed at Leeds City Centre Premier Inn for £39 and have had a much nicer room and better behaviour standards in the dining room.

Finally, the toiletries in the bathroom were a nice touch although the toilet roll on the holder was virtually empty. Would it be too much to ask to put on a new roll for new guests?

I would suggest that you only stay here if you get a really good deal as it is not worth the full price advertised. Executive rooms are a big let down and over priced.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AFC1965
Dear Guest

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future.

I gather that our Reservations Manager has been in touch with you directly with regards to this complaint. I hope you were satisfied with her response.