“Very enjoyable stay with friendly staff”
Review of Crowne Plaza Leeds

Crowne Plaza Leeds
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay with friendly staff”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a night in the executive room at Crowne Plaza hotel. We arrived early, but were able to check in. We received a friendly welcome. The room was lovely and exceeded our expectations. We had bathrobes, slippers and a bottle of wine in our room. We had drinks in the bar and went in the spa, all staff again were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The car park was reasonably priced and we were allowed to leave our car in the car park on the day of departure after checking out. Breakfast was absolutely gorgeous, everything you could ask for, continental and hot buffet breakfast, with fruit juice, smoothies, pastries, yogurts, fruits, cheeses, cold meats. The restaurant where we ate breakfast was very clean and we were met when arriving and told where everything was. There were demolition works opposite, but we did not visit Leeds to have a nice view from our room, we spent a lot of time outside of the room visiting the centre of Leeds and this did not spoil our stay at all. We could not fault the Crowne Plaza at all and look forward to returning next year.

1 Thank Helen J
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 21 August 2014

Matt Byram

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Drive under the hotel to the underground part of the vast car park, and you will find 6 disabled parking bays of a good width and well marked out. Two double door to the lifts open towards you and can be tricky if you are in a wheelchair and alone, but the lifts can take quite a wide chair. I was visiting to meet friends for a bar meal, and access to the lounge on the first floor is easy, and even passes the disabled loo en route. This loo is large and spotlessly clean, as you should expect in a four star standard hotel - but don't always receive.
The staff whilst being attentive and friendly didn't 'hover' being over protective, and there was space to wheel around without causing problems to other guests. The bar food my group of 5 had wasn't cheap, but was hot and well presented. A request for an omelette not on the menu was met with a 'no problem' attitude, and overall we enjoyed the experience so much we were there for over five hours! TIP When you enter the car park you are issued with a ticket from a machine - ask the bar staff to get your exit authorised by reception to save a stop on the ground floor en route back to your car. The hotel is situated about a ten minute walk from the main train station, and on a busy road, but my friends who stayed told me that there were no noise problems.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The staff are the 4star of this hotel. The carpet around bed legs was never hoovered, curtains needed a good iron, stains on base of bed.Had requested nice view got demolition site. Requested early check in was told to come back at one o clock, we did but room was not ready till two. Ridiculous idea that you have to keep asking for refill of tea or coffee. Two mornings when refilling my husband and my cup tea ran out. Waiter never came back when he had refilled his teapot. Fridge inside was grubby, smell of must in the bathroom. The area around the sofas on main landing was very dirty. Bar food very pricey for the amount you are given nearly forty pound for fish and chips and burger and chips. We had same meal in town centre two nights previous for fifteen pound. As was said in initial comment STAFF ARE THE FOUR STAR**** My husband had specifically requested a nice room with a nice view for my 50th Birthday, request was just ignored.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room with a view of demolition site on second floor.
2 Thank adrienne c
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay.

Here at the Crowne Plaza Leeds we strive to provide each of our guests with the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver this.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and, wherever possible, take the necessary actions to ensure problems can be avoided in the future.

On a final note, may I once again apologise for the shortcomings experienced during your short break in Leeds.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Where ever I go I always try to book into the Crowne Plaza hotels...quite simply the best nights sleep, the beds are amazing!

Check-in was swift, my only concern was I couldn't initially find the hotel! The postcode took me 2 streets away and there wasn't any sign posts..However a quick call to reception guided me in the right direction.

Parking is always charged extra here...at £15 it's a little steep...but it's town center so what do you expect!

Returning on 6th Sept...looking forward to it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I last reviewed this hotel 3 months ago, have been living here ever since and oh dear..... Firstly forget the loyalty thing, reception will remember your name when they see you, but when it comes to providing room upgrades for regular guests it simply doesn't happen. The second and really annoying thing is being asked if I "have had breakfast with us before" by the breakfast team, it's a small thing but when you've "had breakfast" 4 days of 7 for the past three months all the staff are really saying is they don't care.

So after three months what are my thoughts...
Rooms are still fine standard large chain furnishing but score well on quality of bedding and towels both of which appear to be replaced well before they loose their body
Room service food has deteriorated markedly ... I've tried most of their offerings and it's very poor value for money with a simple main costing about £20 once it's been delivered to your room. For me the last straw was a prawn cocktail consisting of 6 prawns 4 indelibly hard bits of avocado and 3 scraps of lettuce about two months back. In desperation I've tried a couple of orders since then (neither very nice) but I now make an effort to avoid eating in.
Breakfast service has improved ... But the food is if anything worse, I've been breaking some personal rules of late and tried the cooked option a couple of times, really poor. Mushrooms are left out so long they are too dried up to eat and their scrambled eggs are so anaemic as to be almost white.
In summary .... Go room only, get your breakfast from one of a couple of cafes across the road and for dinner within a 10 minute walk there's either a wealth of good restaurants or an M&S Simply Food at the main station

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon L

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Went to the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Leeds for my friends daughters hen party, there were twenty two of us in the group ranging in ages from 22 to 61. We were informed that we could check in from 2pm. We were still waiting for our rooms to be made available to us at 2.50

The service in the hotel was appalling waiting for 40mins for a cup of Chi Tea Latte, just not acceptable.
The restaurant serves breakfast from 7.30 until 11.00 which is buffet style self service. chaos ensued from 9.00 until 11.00 with guests queuing for tables, which were left uncleared from the previous occupants, my friends daughter and her friend waited some time for a table, they then had to clear the table themselves. Again something I find totally unacceptable.

We tried to book some treatments in the Hotel Spa on Sunday, we were told that there were only two half hour appointments available as they only had one therapist working that day. That weekend there were two other hen party's staying in the hotel also a wedding party. Why on earth would you only have one beauty therapist on duty?

The problems we encountered were not due to the staff on duty as they worked their socks off, the problems were due to the poor staffing levels which was the responsibility of hotel management team.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Pauline K

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for a wedding in early August 2015.

The grounds of the hotel are nicely maintained and although the entrance is small we liked that you could drive up to it and then the lobby area was nice and clean.

The rooms were spacious and all had air con, the beds were very comfy and the linens were nice. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. There appeared to be daily room service which although convenient was a little embarassing when they just walked in whilst we were getting changed.

The breakfast buffet was nice and there was a wide variety on offer from fruits to a cooked breakfast.

There is ample comfortable seating in the bars and large areas to socialise.

The spa was very nice, the swimming pool is separated for swimmers and children which was good. The jacuzzi, steam and sauna rooms were brilliant.

There is a gym but we didn't visit it.

Book well in advance for the best rates.

The hotel is very close to the town centre.

The only draw back is that the Yorkshire post hotel was being demolished next door which spoilt the view but being in the city centre there probably wouldn't have been much of a view anyways.

We would definitely stay here again.

Thank you to the staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
louisest, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Leeds, responded to this review, 13 August 2014