First the positives. If you leave the train station via the Bishopsgate exit the hotel is immediately in front of you. The hotel is cheap. And that's about it.
Now for the things about the hotel that would make me think twice or even three times before booking here again.
1) I suppose for a budget hotel you should expect budget facilities, but you don't expect the carpet to be cleaned with a budget vacuum cleaner. It was either that or housekeeping didn't even bother vacuuming the carpet as it was covered with 'bits' (see photos) in the same way that my carpet at home is when I haven't vacuumed for a week.
2) The bed had a noisy and uncomfortable sprung mattress which made it so much harder to get to sleep.
3) There is no air conditioning, and given that it was a really hot and humid day and night the only way to get some relief was to open the window slightly. Unfortunately that meant I was disturbed by the noise of the traffic and people passing by, and I could even hear the tannoy announcements from the station across the road.
4) I plugged my phone charger into the socket on the side of the bed I normally sleep on, only to find the socket wasn't working.
5) The bathroom, at least, was clean, apart from the hairs on the wall of the shower. There was only one light in the bathroom and with no direct line of sight between the light and the shower it mean I was forced to shower in semi-darkness (see photo).
6) The shower itself was one of the weakest I've had in a long time, and even turned on full it varied between below average to weaker than below average.
7) I always take my own shower gel in my travel wash kit and I'm glad I did as I really didn't fancy the thought of stepping out of the shower smelling like strawberries, which I would have done if I'd used the shower gel provided.
8) The chair in the room had two rather nasty looking stains on them (see photo). I sat on the bed instead.
9) Minor niggle, I know, but the full length mirror was so wonky it wouldn't have been out of place in a funhouse at the fair. And the location meant you had to stand tight against the wall to see yourself in it.
So, would I stay here again? If I were travelling by myself and didn't have an important engagement the next day then possibly, but only if there was nowhere else available and I had my own shower gel and slippers. New mattresses and air conditioning cost investment money, but there's no excuse for not cleaning the carpets properly or removing the stains from the chair. I'm just glad I had my slippers with me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 100 metres from Leeds City Station and less than a kilometre from the national motorway network, the Discovery Inn is an ideal choice for those who want the convenience of a centrally-located hotel without the overinflated price tag. We pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service, a warm welcome and an exceptional standard of cleanliness and comfort ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotelopia, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Discovery Inn Leeds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Inn Leeds Hotel Leeds