“Great location can't make up for failings”

Discovery Inn Leeds
Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 29 June 2012

First the positives. If you leave the train station via the Bishopsgate exit the hotel is immediately in front of you. The hotel is cheap. And that's about it.

Now for the things about the hotel that would make me think twice or even three times before booking here again.

1) I suppose for a budget hotel you should expect budget facilities, but you don't expect the carpet to be cleaned with a budget vacuum cleaner. It was either that or housekeeping didn't even bother vacuuming the carpet as it was covered with 'bits' (see photos) in the same way that my carpet at home is when I haven't vacuumed for a week.
2) The bed had a noisy and uncomfortable sprung mattress which made it so much harder to get to sleep.
3) There is no air conditioning, and given that it was a really hot and humid day and night the only way to get some relief was to open the window slightly. Unfortunately that meant I was disturbed by the noise of the traffic and people passing by, and I could even hear the tannoy announcements from the station across the road.
4) I plugged my phone charger into the socket on the side of the bed I normally sleep on, only to find the socket wasn't working.
5) The bathroom, at least, was clean, apart from the hairs on the wall of the shower. There was only one light in the bathroom and with no direct line of sight between the light and the shower it mean I was forced to shower in semi-darkness (see photo).
6) The shower itself was one of the weakest I've had in a long time, and even turned on full it varied between below average to weaker than below average.
7) I always take my own shower gel in my travel wash kit and I'm glad I did as I really didn't fancy the thought of stepping out of the shower smelling like strawberries, which I would have done if I'd used the shower gel provided.
8) The chair in the room had two rather nasty looking stains on them (see photo). I sat on the bed instead.
9) Minor niggle, I know, but the full length mirror was so wonky it wouldn't have been out of place in a funhouse at the fair. And the location meant you had to stand tight against the wall to see yourself in it.

So, would I stay here again? If I were travelling by myself and didn't have an important engagement the next day then possibly, but only if there was nowhere else available and I had my own shower gel and slippers. New mattresses and air conditioning cost investment money, but there's no excuse for not cleaning the carpets properly or removing the stains from the chair. I'm just glad I had my slippers with me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the station if possible, to cut down on noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 June 2012

staff very friendly clean room for the price we paid would stay again but parking a big problem would recomend it

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I arrived at the hotel 1 hr early and was allowed to check in early.
Staff are friendly and helpful.

The hotel is located 1-2 mins walk from the train station. The rooms are basic but clean. The hotel is single glazed so you can hear all the noise from the street below.

I would recommend this hotel stag and hen party's not a place for couples.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gask007
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, its a two minute walk to the rail station when you want to escape and get home the next day...

When you walk in you are confronted by a small lobby and an elevator no staff in sight. I realised that your expected to know that you have to take an elevator to the 3rd floor, which I had to share with a janitor and his dustbin....

The room was on the 8th floor so I had to go through a maze of coridors and up and down stairs to find it which was a pain. The room itself was clean, the furnishings and bed were old fashioned and the walls paper thin. We had to pay a £10 deposit for the tv remote and extra for the wifi which was just about usless as we couldn't get a decent connection anyway.

Would I stay at this hotel again? HELL NO
Would I recommend it to a friend? HELL NO

This hotel is probably only worth staying at if you're a couple of students who don't actually want to sleep there but want to hit the town centre and stay up all night cos sleep is impossible as you can hear every person in the hotel talking and walking around all night long.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2012

When selected discovery inn it seemed ideal for a fantastic weekend in Leeds, however it was anything but ideal.

the assisstant manager behaviour throughout our stay was atrocious, his attitude appalling and his general knowledge about our booking and needs of our group were entirely ignored.

When arriving at the hotel at 2:30pm we were unable to check into the two rooms we had booked, entirely due to the inability of hotel to get our rooms ready on time. We returned at 4:30 and managed to check it.

Upon locating the rooms (which was a mission) they were big but dark and dirty. Blacks hairs were found in more than one of our beds, the toilet was not clean and no hot water from the showers. As you can image we were not happy, however as it was only for a night it would do.

After and great night in leeds, we went to check out the next morning at 11:30, however we were left facing a fine! The staff had absolutely no involvement in alerting our party to the need to leave promptly on Monday morning and check out by 11. We arrived at reception at 11:30 were hit with a £20 fine (half the cost of the room). This was grossly unfair on the group who had all bothered to get up early.

The employees attitude were unbelievable, amidst their unhelpful service. And our refusal to pay the fine for late check out they simply stated they would take it off the card details which we used to pay online. I entirely understand that they need to do this on occasions however because our rooms where not ready till 4:30 we though they could understand and simply forget the matter. However the staff rudeness was completely unacceptable. They declared
not to care at all about our interest and their communication with the us was non-existent.

To summarise, the behaviour of the staff at discovery inn throughout the weekend, in almost every circumstance was entirely unprofessional. While I think the aims of thenhotel are perfect (cheap accomdiation) is perfect, the reality was disorganised and astonishingly unprofessional. The idea that we, in booking, paid towards their payslip, makes me angry. I can assure you now, that i will never return to the hotel and if asked by other to recommend hotel, in leeds I will not hesitate in recounting my experiences.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Me and my friends stayed here on may the 12th [sat] as we needed somewhere close to the town and railway station.this place coverd both things. I booked through travel republic,2 twins costing £57 each for the night.
On arrival at the station we were surprised at how near this place was,just under the subway and over the road. Check in was slightly awkward as the lady on reception had broken english,but we got there and were given rooms 709 and 917 [please note reception is on the 3 floor]
Our rooms were clean and had plenty of space,although room 917 was slightly bigger and had a sofa. There was shower gel and and handwash in the bathrooms which i thought was a nice touch. Plenty of plug sockets and a clock radio plus a kettle with tray stocked with everything you need for tea and coffee.
I was a bit worried about noise as we were so close to the station,but i never heard anything and when we finally got in from our girlie night out in leeds we all slept soundly.
In the morning i went down to reception to ask about places to go for breakfast [discovery does do continetal breackfast for £3.75 but we were after a fry up]
Anyway the man on reception was very helpful and friendly.we ended up in yates just round the corner.
All in all we will def be staying here again in the future and were very impressed with everything,good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scarborough09040
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We paid £40 for a double room and were satisfied with what we got for that price, but wouldn't have paid any more. The room was spacious and reasonably clean. The bedding appeared clean although I would have preferred a duvet to blankets. The pillows were distinctly thin. The bed was very bouncy and squeaky but the mattress thin and uncomfortable. There was a fair degree of noise, both from other people moving around the corridors and external street noise. A sign in our room informed us that the windows wouldn't open but were undergoing refurbishment. There was a £10 deposit for a television remote. The spare loo roll was left balanced on the toilet brush, an interesting decision. I think work is probably being done to gradually improve this hotel but it is still in need of a lot of care and attention. Amidst all the "budget hotel" vibes, the soap / shower gel were surprisingly nice. Other reviewers have mentioned the hotel's peculiar layout. I wasn't a fan of the meandering and sloping corridors. The lone lift was small and slow, which would have been OK if there had been stairs to use as an alternative exit, but I couldn't see any.

Once you manage to get out of the hotel, the location is great. It's just opposite the train station so close to the town centre and very convenient for trains too. If you're coming from the train station, exit by Marks and Spencers (the main exit) and cross the road in front of the station. There's some stairs opposite the exit inside a circular "hut", signposted towards the Comfort Inn - these will take you out opposite the hotel. To get to the station from the hotel, cross the road heading towards Shabab Restaurant. There's an arched entrance to Leeds station that takes you up these stairs.

I don't think there's much to choose between the town centre Travelodges and this. Ibis is much better but a 15 or 20 minute walk from the station and town centre. So I'd stay here again for a budget place to stay after an evening out in Leeds, but I wouldn't have high expectations.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple