“YOU PAY YOUR MONEY.............”

Discovery Inn Leeds
Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Having read some very entetaining reviews, I wondered if I should cancel my booking.
However, maybe the staff are new, maybe the direction signs to rooms are new, maybe the several signs at entrance to reception are new,(upper floor receptions are quite common in European city hotels) maybe the contract laundry tubs coming in ever morning are a new arrangement ,or just maybe trip advisor shocked the owners into upgrading, certainly lot of recent paint. But what do I know, having experience in the Group Travel trade, and seen some real slum hotels.

SO.Discovery is just below the staion, and clearly visible. This curving building is mainly shops at gropund floor, so you go into the narrow entrance and follow the clear signs to lift and reception above. Friendly guy on reception warned us to pay deposit on TV remote ("Too many stolen") gave us excellent Leeds map, and key.

Clear signs to room, on large size for cheap hotel, slightly odd size to fit building shape. Clean comfortable beds, trad. sheets and blankets not duvet. Staff responded instantly to minor problems-more pillows, faulty lamp. Odd shaped but efficient en-suite , no dog hairs ! Plenty of morning hot water, constant pressure (common morning hotel problem). good range of TV programmes,(got £10 deposit back on leaving) Busy road outside, buses, trucks etc but good double glazing so low hum ( But I live near Heathrow so you early fliers give us hell). Tasteful pics on walls. Light breakfast worth the £4.00, or try Yates's round corner, probabaly better than their evening meal.
Much better at Charcoalgrill restaraunt oposite, (Persian) bring your own wine from off licence next door. Great food, very resonable prices.

So, personally, it was agood visit, topped of by a visit to Leeds Variety Theatre, a classic, with a one night gig by Steeleye Span and Maddie Prior (who they ?), and Leeds wonderful markets, So, two happy and satisfied old fogies, who do NOT work for Discovery.

Room Tip: If traffic hum gets to you, ask for rear room., and probably garbage views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John-Ball

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Arrived here 25th March for a 2 night stay, mainly chosen for location and price. The reception greeting was good and I left my luggage as the room was not ready. The decor in the public spaces is good and gives a good first impression, but when I got in my room, shabby with battered furniture, including a wobbly wardrobe! The room was freezing cold and had mould growing on the bedroom and bathroom walls/ceiling. I paid £8 for wifi, which did not work in the room. I asked for a refund but was told I could use it in the public areas so no refund was possible. You also have to pay £10 deposit to get a TV remote, which tells you all you need to know about the clientele they normally get. When I complained about the cold room, they did provide a plug in radiator, which was welcome. The bed was dreadful, soft and lumpy, with wafer thin cheap pillows, nasty. Breakfast is extra, don't bother, you don't get a good choice and the room is like a prison diner (I imagine). Overall not great, you can stay at Ibis for the same money and get a good standard. I checked out a day early...say no more

Room Tip: Go to another hotel?
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Picked this hotel due to lower price compared to others in Leeds, however still pricey for what it was. Location fantastic, right near the train station. Very weird design of building, you have to get a lift to the 3rd floor to check in - bizarre - then lifts to other floors. Not a welcoming atmosphere. The room was dated & one of the most uncomfortable beds I've slept in with only one flat pillow each. Bathroom was big & tea/coffee facilities ok. On return from night out I wanted tv remote which you had to get at reception & pay a deposit for - on way back to my room i was in a lift with a man who was clearly under the influence of something - this I found very intimidating as lift very small & felt vulnerable. I have booked to stay here again - purely due to cheaper price & location.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 22 March 2013

As I stayed there for a business trip and I am self-employed, it was economical; very friendly and helpful staff; very clean; the room was serviced and spotless each day with top ups of coffee and teabags; the breakfast was basic but more than adequate with plenty of fresh coffee. The hotel couldn't be closer to the station and I could walk to my meetings each day.

Wifi seemed expensive - I paid £3.00 for an hour - lost connection after a few minutes and that was my session finished; 24 hours is £8.00 which presumably means multiple sessions? I had a room at the back and at the end of a corridor which was probably a good option; there was quite a bit of activity and coming and going during the late evening and I know another guest found the noise in the corridor annoying. I'm not sure I would want to spend a Friday or Saturday night there, as I booked out on Friday morning a load of lads arrived - possible stag night? Generally first impressions are that the hotel decor is a little "tired" but the cleanliness makes up for it; have £10 cash to hand as a deposit for the remote or you can't watch tv!

Room Tip: The hotel is right in the city centre - go for a back room for some quiet - though the view is of a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Paid £25 for the night. Very outdated hotel, room was just about ok. The room was tidy and clean but the mattress on the bed was quite comical as you sank into it, also only 1 pillow per person which probably was as supportive as resting your head on a piece of paper. Overall considering we only was in the room to sleep after being out all night and how cheap it was.. I would recommend it.. Not the best but could have been a lot worse.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Stayed here last night, as part of a weekend away seeing friends, shopping and going out. On first impressions the hotel looked great- fab location cant beat it so close to the shops and right opposite the train station. However once we got inside we were quite taken a back with how strange it was! The hotel was like a maze with staircases everywhere and mis matching interior. The hotel reception was on the 3rd floor and then we had to go back down a flight of stairs to get to our room when our friends were on the very top floor.

Our room was very basic and very outdated and quite a strange shape so quite pokey. Which is fine if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep and not really bothered but for the price of £65 for one night, we could have stayed in premier inn for a more comfortable nights stay. However the bathroom was very big and clean and the shower was excellent. We went out on our night out and must have come back around 4am- and the noise did not stop really until 6am so we did not get much sleep and the bed was quite uncomfortable with no proper duvet just blankets (like u get in a hotel abroad) but obviously in the middle of winter, we were freezing as the heating must be on a thermostat and had been off for awhile by the time we arrived back-our room was freezing!

overall though, was close to where we needed to be but I would not stay there for more than one night and next time I would probably pay a bit extra and go to a premier inn or travel lodge where u know u will get the same standard!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I got what I expected from the hotel discription - no surprises. Staff were friendly, hotel basic, good location (but didn't like the food in the pub next door that was recomended by the hotel staff!)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo