“Fab weekend !”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #45 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I went with a party of girlfriends for a night out in Leeds. This hotel was ideally placed as we went on the train and the station is a 5 minute walk. A beautiful traditional hotel with helpful staff and a good atmosphere. The rooms were well equipped and the bed was so comfortable!!! Breakfast was good with plenty of choice and the staff were again very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Your review is very much appreciated so thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay. It is through this feedback we can improve on our standards and the level or service we provide.

I am very pleased you and your friends enjoyed your stay at The Met and our staff provided great service.

There are newer reviews for The Met Hotel Leeds

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I like clean, modern, friendly hotels which retain a traditional appearance and atmosphere. The Met ticks all of those boxes for me. A real, high quality, English hotel.... and breakfast was fresh, hot and tasty too!

Excellent location, 2-3 minutes walk from the train station, and just on the edge of the City Square, close to pubs, bars and restaurants.

Good deals available too. I'd recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: As the hotle is in the city centre, higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DaveK93
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our excellent location. If you would like to stay with us again, please contact our Guest Relations Officer at daniel.harvey@principal-hayley.com and he will be more than happy to help process your booking

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Stayed one night - Sept 2012 and was very impressed with the building and the room (which was spacious, clean and airy) - though didnt try the restaurant and bar. Very high ceilings in all of the areas as well as the classic decor gave the hotel an elegant and majestic feel.

The staff were curteous and efficient.

I enjoyed my stay and will certainly return when I am next in Leeds. It was great value for money and very much in the centre of the city.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike M

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. If you would like to book again, please contact our Guest Relations Officer at daniel.harvey@principal-hayley.com and he will be more than happy to help process your booking.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed here for two nights in August and I was really impressed with the hotel. We had booked ages in advance and got what turned out to be an excellent deal, around £60 for a doublt room which was probably worth about double that. Really nice, modern room with a large bathroom. The foyet area in the hotel was excellent and quite luxurious, and the buffet breakfast was also nice. The small bar area was handy but nothing special, but this is not a problem as the hotel is bang in the middle of Leeds and there is a great choice of bars and restaurants nearby.

The only issue we did have is that we were told breakfast was included with our rooms, however on checking out the receptionist informed us that breakfast was an additional £15 each day which is extortionate, however after a minor argument we eventually paid 50% of the price, which was still dear.

Parking is available at the hotel, although be warned the lower car park in particular is extremely tight and hard to get in/out of - on getting into the car park we realised it was full and had to reverse up a slope onto a busy road with hardly any visibility! The parking was also £20 for the weekend, which is quite dear but we were happy to pay.

Would definitely recommend the Met Hotel, and will likely stay there again if ever back in Leeds.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the confusion you faced upon check out with your breakfast package. However, I am pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us at The Met, Leeds.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

I booked this hotel through last minute and would not go back. There was so much noise outside our room (sounded like construction work going on outside) that we were awake from 7am. We then had someone walk into our room at 8.30am who used a key. I have no idea who this was and not what you expect when your in bed and someone just wanders in......I asked reception when we checked out and was advised this may have been housekeeping and they must not have known we were in the room?? Not exactly good organisational skills or communication by the hotel staff. They must have been cleaning rooms on the corridor we were in and wern't very quiet while doing it. The room was tiny and basic with an old style TV - no milk etc with the kettle. There was a huge gap on the shower panel at the bottom so water would leak all over if we used it so had to have a bath. The car park was so small I struggled to actually get my car into a space withouth hitting the wall. I spoke to reception staff who were polite and I asked for a complaints procedure - I have emailed 2 different email addresses there (reception and Dan the manager direct) and I have had no response at all so feel even more disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mandii w

I would like to apologise for the difficulties you faced upon arrival at the hotel. These are certainly not the standards in which we aspire and for that I am truly sorry.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed over just one night and that was certainly enough. The bedrooms are tired (I saw 2) in one of the rooms I was offered there were pigeons on the windowsill! Furnishings were stained and there was no matress protector on the bed, although I was assured it was an oversight. The meeting room we had was spacious, but no natural light and the furnishings were very tired. The one redeeming feature this hotel has were the staff. All were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 September 2012

A good central City location with many great bars and restaurants within easy walking distance.

The hotel itself is a refurbished Victorian/Edwardian affair that has been nicely modernised. The on-site car park is split into two levels, both of which are a little tight if you have a large car but at £10 per night, perfectly reasonable for City Centre parking.

The entrance is airy with some vibrant colourful modern art and plenty of seating. At the time of my arrival, a very welcoming gentleman was on reception who was incredibly helpful and efficient in processing my booking. I stayed on the forth floor and a nice quite clean efficient lift took me there easily.

The corridor was wide, spacious, nicely decorated and well sign posted. I found my room easily.

The double bedroom was very clean and nicely set out with a slightly sober cappuccino and latte brown paint scheme but set off with red accents. The en-suit bathroom was immaculate and provided a full size bath and shower (great water pressure). The bathroom furniture was of a pure white Victorian style as were the wall tiles. Not quite my taste but never the less a very nice, spotlessly clean quality bathroom. Simple but nice soap and shampoo offerings and a very pleasant change to have good old fashion proper drinking glasses rather than those horrible plastic shrink wrapped alternatives.

The bed was very comfortable with quality "plump" pillows and welcoming linen. There was an iron & board and hair dyer in the spacious wardrobe. All seemingly in perfect working order. The towels were nice and fluffy too.

The TV was of the old CRT variety but sat unobtrusively in the corner and worked perfectly. There was a small writing desk and accompanying chair to one side of the bed, leading on to a large sach window, providing a nice view of the office block opposite - it was however a pleasant building to view rather than the usual run down affairs you normally stare out upon in City centres.

The room was not air conditioned and this was one of the very few gripes I have about this hotel. Granted in stayed in August, but the room got very stuffy and hot. There was an electric fan provided, which helped a little but still uncomfortable. A pit as the bed was very comfortable and would have otherwise provided an excellent night's sleep.

The evening meal commenced with a drink at the bar, which lead on to the resturant. The bar is small but very welcoming and nicely furnished. The barman impressed me by going out of his way to cool my wine glass with ice and cold water before discarding and replacing with my requested Sauvignon Blanc - A nice touch.

The resturant is a very nicely furnished modern bistro affair with the cappuccino and latte decoration continuing together with bright red accents of the serving area. The lighting was subtitle and complimented the laid back feel. There was piped "chill out music" that although not intrusive, I could have done without but as there were few people - mainly dining alone - that night, at least it drowned out the sound of clattering cutlery on plates and the silence of the solitary diner.

The resturant will seat 80 plus but on my visit there were only a handful of tables occupied. The service was friendly and good. I had an Indian platter for starter, served on a grey slate. It comprised of a selection of samosas, pakoras and mini kebabs, all of which were very tasty and nicely presented, albeit modest in quantity.

I chose the tuna nicoise for the main. Again very nicely presented but for my tastes anyway - overcooked - being more medium well, rather than "pink" as I would have expected. However a compliment to the kitchen is due on the quality of its fish, as although overcooked, it was still delicious.

The meal was finished off with a selection of cheeses. The cheddar, edam and stilton - all on another attractive grey slate - not particularly adventurous but very fresh, tasty and nicely presented.

Overall dinner for one cost £26 plus £7 for the large glass of wine. Not cheap but good quality in a nice atmosphere and being in Central Leeds, good value for money.

The public toilets within the hotel are clean, modern, odourless and spotless.

The breakfast the following morning was served in the same resturant as the dinner. It was a buffet arrangement with great selection of cereals, breads, pastries, cold meats, cheeses and a very good cooked breakfast selection. All of which was fresh, high quality (no cheap nasty sausages/bacon etc) with a chef in crisp whites regally checking the food on offer was in order. Very good.

I used the louge facilities for a morning meeting, which worked perfectly as the sofa sets are far enough apart from one another to have a conversation without everyone else in the room listening. The tea/coffee service was good.

The check-out was seemless and pleasant.

Overall I would strongly recommend this hotel. the lack of air conditioning is disappointing in height of summer (assuming we ever get one in England!) But the mid week price of £58 including breakfast for a four star quality hotel bang in the middle of Leeds City centre is excellent value for money.

I have business in Leeds on a regular basis requiring an overnight stay. I will be using The Met going forward as my first preference.

• Stayed: August 2012

I would also like to thank you for such detail in your review, from every aspect of our business. You have provided an excellent insight for our future guest’s right down to the finer points; I am very grateful for this.