“Once again as good as ever.”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed at the Met once again and found it to be as good as ever reception staff were pleasant ,room was clean and warm not the most spacious but since it was just somewhere to sleep at night i can,t complain.Breakfast was super plenty choice and fast pleasant service.I can,t comment on any other of the hotel services as we were out and about in Leeds all day then eating out at night.I would not hesitate to stay here next time, but everyone has different tastes so make up your own mind.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CumbriaRabster
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear CumbriaRabster,

It was most pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Met Hotel and that you were able to experience the service quality that we pride ourselves on.

I hope that we are able to continue to welcome you to The Met any time that you are in the area and that you are able to experience this quality time after time.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel in Leeds for three days and booked myself in on a Bed and Breakfast and Evening meal basis. From day one the accommodation, service and staff were EXCELLENT. When I came down for breakfast in the morning I was greeted and escorted to my table by a very polite, spotlessly clean and professionally dressed Head Waitress/Supervisor by the name of Kelly Baker who was extremely attentive and meticulous and treated me like a very important and special individual and made me feel very relaxed and at ease at all times. When I came down for my evening meal I was greeted by Andrew who was equally as courteous and professionally trained; he was immaculately dressed and well groomed, he was also highly Customer focused as was Liam (my server) and they both, in my humble opinion, were an asset to your Company and enhanced the values your Company has set in place and should be along with Kelly Baker recognised and thanked and rewarded for their 'Due Diligence'. If I were asked to give a mark out of ten for my view as a whole the I would give them Eleven out of Ten!!! Very, Very, Very WELL DONE!!!!

Room Tip: ALL the rooms are spotlessly clean, warm, welcoming and all with en-suite and all the rooms, no matt...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul B

Dear Paul B,

I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team, specifically Kelly, Liam and Andrew who are three of our high flying members of the restaurant team.

I do hope that we are able to continue to welcome you to The Met any time that you are in the area.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Given a lot of the previous reviews, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. My double room on the 4th floor was very large, nicely furnished with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was roomy with a very effective shower and it was all very clean.

The hotel needs to update the TVs in the rooms as it's just not acceptable in this day and age to have huge old style TVs with just a handful of fuzzy channels and it seems ridiculous to charge £4 an hour for wifi in the public areas - just a cynical money making exercise.

The other shocking thing was the price of food and drink. We would have eaten in the restaurant and spent the evening in the bar but having been charged £7.50 for a half a lager and a diet coke, we made a sharp exit to the nearest Wetherspoons, 5 minutes away at the railway station.

However the staff were very pleasant and the breakfast was good in a nice restaurant. Plenty of choice and good quality food.

For £69 a night for bed and breakfast in a double room, single occupancy, I felt this was very good value. I would have given this a 3.5 mark if it was an option.

Room Tip: Room 406, clean bathroom, comfy bed, lots of space. Does overlook the front but I wasn't unduly...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane B

Dear Jane B

Thank you for your review, it is through these reviews that we are able to constantly assess and monitor our current offering to our guests.

It was pleasing to hear that you had a pleasant stay at The Met Hotel and was able to experience a true example of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on.

I am pleased to say that your observation that the bedrooms are in need of modernisation have been acted upon and in January 2014 we will take delivery of our new TV’s which will be more in keeping with the standards of a modern day hotel room. I am however confused by your comment regarding the Wifi. Here at The Met our Wifi is completely complimentary and no charges are applicable from the hotel.

I do hope that you may be able to return to The Met Hotel at some point in the near future so that you are able to judge the changes for yourself

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Had a pleasant stay here. The hotel looks great from the outside, but is dated inside (especially the rooms).
Reception staff were really accommodating as I was in a room without a bath to begin with. Rooms were 3 star quality, very dated with a real need to modernise (my TV was about 20" deep!).
Nice enough to stay but I wouldn't pay the full asking price for a room here.
Breakfast seemed a bit of a rip off when I paid £10 and ended up just having some egg, mushrooms and beans as there wasn't much else. Not a banana in site!

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear CragglePants

It was pleasing to hear that you had a pleasant stay at The Met Hotel and that are staff were quick and accommodating to your requests.

We have also recently taken great strides to improve our breakfast offering to ensure that we are now catering for all of our guests, including I am pleased to say a vast selection of fruit

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for 1 night, got a last minute deal which I was happy with. My room was on the 3rd floor, and faced onto a side street which I was happy with as there wasn't a lot of traffic noise. The double room was smaller than I expected but that was fine, the bed was comfortable and it was very warm.
Hotel staff helpful and polite. Had an evening meal in the bar, which was very nicely presented, and tasty, and also breakfast in the morning. You are able to eat as much or as little as you want for £10.
For the price I paid for the room for 1 night, I would stay here again,although I'm aware I did get a good deal. No complaints.

Room Tip: Although quite small,but adequate, I found my room on the 3rd floor (turning left and then right f...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Libby D,

I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Where do i start??? I stayed her because i was at a very improtant meeting in Leeds the following day and needed to be fresh and on the ball. Stupid mistake!
The room at first glance (102) was fine - large and airy with a huge bed. BUT the old rotten sash windows wouldn't stay shut!
A. its bleeding cold and B. Its bleeding noisy!!
Managed to get it shut by wedging some cardboard in, and this is when i realised how dirty it was. MINGING!! My hands were black from messing with the top of the sash. At this point i started to notice other points, like the disgusting mould in the bathroom - but never mind i thought, its just one night.

So off to dinner in the restaurant.
Hummus and pitta - came without pitta but just some bread and the hummus was just pureed chick peas! Revolting!
Then a very nice burger
Then a smashed up meringue nest with 3 halved strawberries, cream and some of that pink syrup you get on your 99 from the icecream van - an Eton mess apparently. Total cost to make 80p max? Charge over £6.

Service was hit and miss - either left for ages or pestered.....

So, to bed for my early night.....as i laid there listening to the words of the passers by, realised the window had come open again....
Plus the light on the front of the building right outside my open sash window that lit the room up like Blackpool on steroids because the curtain didn't come round enough on the bay didn't help the snooze effect.
And then i noticed the cob webs...OMG! I don't mind spiders to an extent, but these cobwebs were right above the bed and were long and dangling. At that point i demanded to move rooms.
So, at 12.30 am, i eventually was shown a room on the 3rd floor. You couldn't swing a cat and it still had cobwebs - but it was darker and less noisy (though still stupidly noisy as no double glazing and still rotten sash frames). Plus the bed was more comfortable as the first room was so lumpy....

All in all, a poor sleep, disappointing food, expensive bar and left feeling mildly grubby despite almost burning my skin off in a shower that was either BURN or COLD....

Not worth the cost - much nicer hotels in Leeds for similar prices. Won't be going back.

Room Tip: all seemed as bad as each other - no double glazing in the city centre says it all......so guess at...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Judge866

Dear Judge866,

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience. As a result of your experience I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further and in more detail. If you could contact our Operations Manager, Joseph Farrar directly it would be much appreciated.
Joseph.Farrar@principal-hayley.com

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday night when there was a wedding reception on the ground floor, and we could quite clearly hear the music in our rooms even though we were staying on the 4th floor. This kept me awake until past midnight which I wasn't impressed with at all. I think it's extremely poor service that because a wedding reception is taking place, all the other guests must be kept awake as well. What the other reviewers have said is true as well, very noisy plumbing and floorboards. I could hear every movement of the guests staying in the room above us.

This is definitely not a 4 star hotel. We weren't allowed access to the bar because of the wedding, and had to order our drinks which took a long time. Yes the television wasn't flat screen or wide screen which doesn't bother me, put the picture quality on some of the channels was so fuzzy that it was unwatchable, and I have had better quality television screens in hotels on Spanish islands.

There are 6 floors in the hotel and the lift only goes to the 5th floor. I was disgusted to read on one of the reviews that an elderly lady had to drag her suitcase up the stairs because she was on 6th floor.

Apart from that, beds were ok, and breakfast was ok and the location is excellent, but for me there is no point staying in a hotel if you can't sleep. Much preferred it when I stayed at Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Tina L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. It is through these reviews that we are able to constantly check our current service and offering.

It was most disappointing to read of your poor experience at our Hotel. Please be assured that your comments regarding the noise of the plumbing & floor boards are being looked at and are part of our continual re development.

I am also pleased to say that the TV’s to which you have made reference will also be changed in January 2014.

I do hope that you may return to us in the future so that you may judge these changes for yourself