“Met visit”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #46 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel is ideally situated close to the centre of town. It has an amazing front entrance and lobby. It is a very traditional style with lots of high ceilings. The room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was huge. There is a car park the entrance of which is right before the hotel entrance. You get half an hour free internet access a day.
The breakfast room is huge and well decorated but was very dark, but the cooked breakfast was superb. Car parking cost £20 which I think is to much though even if the other hotels charge that amount.

Room Tip: Try and find a public car park close by.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dale H
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Dale H

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Met.

It was very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Met in particular the décor and the breakfast. Our breakfast chef will be delighted with your comments.

Your comments regarding the parking have been duly noted and will be used in our evaluation of pricing for this facility over the next coming weeks.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the future for another enjoyable stay.

Simone Sansom

Write a ReviewReviews (1,579)

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel in early December for one Friday night. We were at a concert & thought it'd be nice to take advantage of a nice night away. After scouring to find a hotel that wasn't full or for a decent price I managed to get a travel agent concession through superbreak for The Met.
After reading reviews I was a little apprehensive but then again I know to take reviews with a pinch of salt.

Check in was fast & efficient, whilst the lady on the desk was very "corporate" which didn't feel very personal. Being a travel agent I like to make sure every customer knows that they are welcome & that they are being treated in an individual way.

We stayed in a superior room which I assume meant we got a bigger room than you would with the standard. There was enough room to swing a dog, let alone a cat! The room was very clean & had a HUGE bed that was very comfy. The room was equipped with a sofa, digital TV, tea & coffee making facilities and a large spacious desk for those who were expecting to do some work as it came with an Internet connection link. Plenty of pamphlets about Leeds (if you did not know the area!) and info about the hotel.

The bathroom was lovely & clean and there were plenty of shampoo/toiletries etc. It took a while for the water to become hot but when it was it was a lovely, powerful & warm shower.

My only gripe was that the room was FAR TOO HOT, making it slightly uncomfortable but we had had a few drinks so it didn't take long for us to fall asleep.

We had breakfast included in the deal and we were not disappointed with the delights on offer. You could eat as much as you wanted (however you never feel like taking advantage of it as you feel rude!) plenty of cereals, pastries & a buffet style full English breakfast. You could help yourself which meant you could have more of what you wanted rather than someone plating it up for you. The staff were lovely and made sure you had plenty of tea or coffee.

We parked the car for 24 hours and it cost £20 which was extortionate! I can understand why some people have gripes with the hotel. If I had paid £180 for 1 night (as the direct site wanted to charge!) and then pay£20 for car parking I'd want The Ritz so it comes as no surprise that the hotel does not rate as high as it could with the normal paying punters!

Overall this hotel is smart, clean & has a fabulous location for the city centre of Leeds. If I could get a good deal again if I needed a hotel in Leeds then I would most definitely stay here again, however I would not be shouting from the rooftops about how amazing the hotel is as the "normal" prices are just too high for what it is.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rebeccaeady

Dear Rebeccaeady

Thank you for your thorough and insightful review of The Met Hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience at The Met and that you were able to sample most aspects of the hotel during your stay.

I thank you for your comments regarding the heating in the room and I will ensure that this is looked into immediately as we certainly do not want any guests to feel uncomfortable on an evening.

We regularly have special offers running for The Met and I hope that you are able to take up one of these offers again and return to The Met for another experience.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed here in October to attend friends hen party.
Great location in Leeds as you can walk from train station.
Near to all the bars etc.
On arrival mid-afternoon some rooms were not ready and the reception staff couldn't help - it appears people did not check out on time - but surely new arrivals should not have to suffer!
Rooms nice, decorated very well with all amenities in the room - iron, tea & coffee making facilities etc.
Sunday morning breakfast was excellent, everything you could want.

Would recommend this hotel for city centre break.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Met-Guest-Relations, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Jo M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience here at The Met Hotel.

It was pleasing to hear that you had an enjoyable time for your friends’ Hen party. My apologies for any delays that may have been caused by any guests that may have unduly extended their stay without a thought for newly arriving guests. I trust you still had a wonderful weekend despite this.

Once again thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here whilst working in Leeds.

Plus points:
Rooms were okish. Clean. Blinding breakfast. Good quality bacon and sausage.

Negative:
Creaky floorboards. Noisy can hear people walking from floor above. Cold rooms.

Wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JayPaaji

Dear JayPaaji

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at The Met Hotel. It is through reviews that we are able to monitor and assess our current guest offering.

It was disappointing to hear that you faced a number of points that detracted from your overall enjoyment at The Met.

As a listed building we are very fortunate to have many fantastic features that come along with a period building, however this does still proceed some challenges, such as creaky floor boards. We are however looking to improve upon this point as part of our on-going development process within the next 12 months

I hope that at some point in the future we may be able to welcome you back to The Met so that you are able to view these changes for yourself.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here last Friday as I was at a Christmas party, the hotel is ideally situated if travelling by train. From the outside the hotel looks very "oldy worldy" however the interior is quite modern. My double room was quite small as was the bed, however it was extremely comfortable and I had a great nights sleep, everything was spotless and a great shower. The breakfast was very good I even went back for seconds:) and the waiting staff were lovely making me feel very welcome. I would most definitely stay here again, really good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Blondie2302,

It is pleasing to hear that you had an enjoyable Christmas party as well as a comfortable night on top of this. I will be sure to pass your kind comments back on to all the staff.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on the night of the 15th of December, It was my 60th birthday the following day and as we had had our wedding reception here 35 years previously my husband had booked an executive suite on the 6th floor as a surprise. I couldn't fault the room. It was clean,comfortable and very spacious but also very expensive. We went into the bar area after settling in, to get something to eat, but after waiting for 10 minutes or so my husband had to go off and find someone to serve us. The food when it arrived was OK - nothing out of the ordinary. The bed was very comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The food at breakfast the following morning was varied and quite well cooked although, by the time we had finished, we had cereal bowls, side plates, dinner plates glasses and cups and saucers all piled up because none of the waiting staff had been to clear them up. From a nostalgic point of view we enjoyed re-aquainting ourselves with The Metropole but I think it will be another good few years before we return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dixie362

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at The Met Hotel. It was wonderful to read of your historic connection with The Met Hotel and such a joy to hear that you were able to come back and share such a special occasion with us.

Please accept my apologies for the few service failures that appear to have had a negative impact on your stay. These occurrences are not the norm at The Met Hotel and are certainly not reflective of the high standard that we set for ourselves here at The Met.

It was pleasing to hear that you will be returning to The Met in the future and I look forward to welcoming you so that we may show you a true example of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on here at The Met Hotel

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at the Met for one night at the start of the month for work. This was the first (and will be the last time) that someone else made a booking for me.
The location of the hotel was just right and, on the face of it, the hotel looked promising.
Unfortunately, I was booked in to a single room which was small to say the least. The TV was the old CRT type and with a case in the room, or the ironing board up, walking in the limited space available was difficult.
There was a strange smell in the room (I had to open the window to give the room a good airing) when I arrived, the windows (which I presume are due to the building being listed) were the old 'sash' type and didn't really stop any noise or draughts. The former was a little annoying as it seemed like I had a big fan of some sort working all evening just outside the window.
Whilst staff were friendly on check-out I found the check-in staff fairly miserable and looking/acting as if they didn't want to be there.
I didn't use the restaurant but did use the bar. Unfortunately, the hotel seemed to lack atmosphere.....
I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't book a single room!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BirminghamBigFella

Dear Birminghambigfella

It was disappointing to hear that you faced a number of challenges during your stay at The Met.
I am very pleased to say however that since your stay we have changed all of our old Televisions for brand new flat screen televisions as part of our ongoing process to rejuvenate certain aspects of the hotel. The next step of this process will see many other areas of the hotel brought in line with the demands of the modern day traveller.