“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #46 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked a single room for 2 nights as I was visiting my daughter for her birthday.I was advised there was a wedding reception that evening and offered a room on a higher floor. The room was well furnished with tea/coffee facilities and bed was comfy with extra pillow, iron, etc in the wardrobe.The hotel is a short walk from the station and not far from shops or local restaurants.
Unfortunately the fire alarm went off a 5am so we all evacuated onto the street for half an hour.Breakfast was OK, I had an english breakfast and sausages and bacon were excellent.The whole experience was good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear nebahat

Thank you for your recent review of your experience at The Met Hotel. It is through reviews that we are able to monitor and assess our current guest offering.
It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at The Met Hotel and I do hope that your daughter had an enjoyable birthday during your stay.
Please accept my apologies for the early morning fire alarm, I do hope that it did not impact upon your stay too much. It is an unforeseen event and during such occasions the safety of all of our guests is of paramount importance.
I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met Hotel at some point in the near future.

Simone Sansom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here just 3 weeks ago. This was our 2nd stay at The Met. All the staff were very friendly, room clean & cosy. I love staying here it's like home from home. Breakfast was nice & relaxing. Plenty of bars & restaurants nearby - The hotel location in Leeds is fab. I'm looking forward to my next stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Louise M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience here at The Met Hotel.
It was wonderful to hear that you have had many enjoyable experiences at The Met Hotel and that you are already looking forward to your next visit.
I will be sure to pass your kind words onto the staff.
Once again thank you for your kind review.

Pershore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Upon entrance into the hotel, it felt like I had landed in plush surroundings - massive reception, large chandelier, comfy seats with help-yourself coffee machines; it really is gorgeous.

After a delightful check-in, I saw myself to my room - after going around many dark and dreary corridors, I entered my business double room. A tiny room, no bigger than an airing-cupboard, with the smallest shower room I had ever seen!

I ventured inwards (side-stepping through the brief corridor to the bed!) There was no room to sit or stand. I walked over to the window, where I found mold, and a massive gap that couldn't be closed; which looked onto the main high street on which the hotel is located! There was also no hanging room for clothes. It was grotty to say the least.

I phoned reception and asked to be relocated.

Reception informed me that the hotel only had a small double left, I decided to give it a try. Well, this small double was twice the size as my previous not-so-small-double! It was ok - tired, in need of decoration and not at all appropriate for the high prices charged to business users.

The bed was not the comfiest, but not the worst I have slept in; TV reception was awful. Bathroom was lovely, but had a mini bath (4ft) so no long soak for me after a busy day of meetings.

However, the location is fab - around the corner from the main station and all the hub and restaurants too.

I did not eat breakfast at the hotel and so cannot comment. The staff however were very helpful in bringing me extra milk for my tea and coffee.

Check-out was quick and simple, the staff were lovely, and they helped arrange a taxi for me.

Worth staying at if you can ensure you have a nice room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear HOOBS

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. Your constructive comments are very gratefully received allow us the opportunity to evaluate our offering and improve upon this for future guests.

It was disappointing to read that you had not had a completely satisfactory stay with us recently. For this I must apologise.
It is our aim that every guest that stays with us has a 100% wonderful experience and to learn on this occasion that we fell short of that is concerning.
Since your stay in November 2013 I am delighted to say that all of our TV’s have been replaced and we now have brand new flat screen TV’s with wonderful reception.
I am also delighted to announce that over 60% of our rooms have undergone a conditional upgrade with the rest being completed in stages for the next 2 months.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future so that we may give you a true reflection of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on and so you are able to judge the changes we have made for yourself.

Billingham
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I really like this hotel having stayed here the last two occasions I have visited Leeds. I have stayed in many Leeds hotels but this hotel is a step above. It has fantastic character, some amazing rooms and friendly staff. I would like to thank in person Anja Roth who on the last 2 occasions has arranged really nice, spacious and comfortable rooms.
The Met will always be my first choice when I visit Leeds again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Andymc67

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience here at The Met.

It was fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Met on your second visit.

I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to the team and specifically Anja who I am positive will be delighted with your comments

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Met many times more in the future

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is a difficult hotel to review. I don't want to go back but this shouldn't put you off, it might be ok for you. The staff are excellent - naturally friendly and helpful. I got the feeling that some were going out of their way to help me with the oddities of the place at the risk of the wrath if their management. The staff seemed to understand the essence of customer service better than the management. The breakfast was very good ( excellent coffee) and the restaurant, lounge and reception areas have character and are very comfortable and clean. So where is my problem? Booking a reservation, the lift, the rooms and the parking. Overall it seems that you cannot be sure of what you will actually pay until the moment you leave.
1. Booking. I booked a party with about 3 rooms over 3 - 4 nights. Shortly after being confirmed I received emails suggesting upgrades for rooms on higher floors and for refurbished rooms. So I booked rooms that turned out to be of the lowest quality without being told. I have never come across this before. Between my party we had 5 different rooms and not one of them looked like the rooms pictured on the website.
2. The lift. There is one lift for about 6 people across 5 floors. Be prepared to wait awhile. The hotel staff have to use it as well. You have to use the stairs to get to the 6th floor, important if like one of our party you have difficulty with stairs.
3. The rooms we had were of 3-star build quality. In one room the shower was very slow, the water takes a while to drain away, the shower screens don't quite fit the bath, the sealant is poor, the room furniture is cheap. The rooms were overly hot and even with the window open took a couple of days to reach a sensible temp. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean.
4. The parking was a fiasco. They have 'clear rules that are on the website'. I didn't see them, but if you want to leave your car there for more than a night it seems that you must pay £40, which is outrageous in my view. We had an argument at reception because one person wanted us to state how long we would be parked. At most hotels I know you park overnight and that's it. Here you must state whether it's 5, 10 or more hours. After we complained they waived the fee - but I would have paid a reasonable fee.

My experience overall was one of uncertainty which mattered when our overall bill was to be over £1,000. I expect to relax at a hotel, not worry. I won't go back.

Room Tip: When you book ask for the room on the website. It would fascinating to know if they exist!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear JayeMM

It appears that you have had a very mixed experience during your stay with us and for this I apologise.
It is our aim that every guest that stays with us leaves having had a completely exceptional experience and to learn that on this occasion we fell short of that is most concerning

Please accept my personal assurances that the points you have raised have been addressed with the relevant heads of department and appropriate training has been put into place in order to prevent similar occurrences in the future.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future so that we may give you a true reflection of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed here during a business trip. Excellent location, very close to the train station and easy to find. The hotel was very clean and tidy. The staff were helpful and polite.
I had a double room, it was perfect for a business trip; a good desk with network cable and a very comfortable bed. It felt very safe, and there was a chain on the door which I like when traveling alone.
The breakfast was good, a cold and hot buffet with plenty of choice.
An extremely minor point, but during my stay there was no decaf tea or coffee in the room, and the bar only had decaf coffee.
I also attended a meeting here. The facilities were very good, with comfortable chairs for a day long meeting. A lovely lunch was served. Throughout the day hot and cold drinks and an impressive selection of snacks were available.
A perfect hotel for business, and I'm sure for leisure too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear SulkyBecky

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your whole experience here at The Met and that you managed to get a taste of all the facilities that we have to offer.

In relation to your points I have now ensured that all our catering outlets are stocked with options of both decaff tea and coffee

England
Reviewed 27 February 2014

So when you arrive at the hotel, you are greeted by a lovely recpetion area which is really clean and modern but has some character to it aswell.

Check in was really easy and we were 30 minutes early for check in but they allocated a room for us straight away.

There is only 1 lift in the hotel for guests and staff so you may have to wait a couple of minutes, when we got to the 3rd floor we were greeted by room service trays left outside of the lift with left food and bottles on there - not a great first impression

The room was very small and they sell it as a double room but its not its got a queen size bed in there so if you want to stretch out in the night there is no chance.

We book a dinner inclusive package - the food was edible but not amazing - You get £25 per person to spend but if you want steak you have to pay £7.50 more whether you spend your £25pp or not - this really didnt bother me but I was cheeky and thought I would ask if I kept my bill under the £25 could I have one included? Rebecca the waitress explained to me that she couldnt and that she was sorry - Not a problem I thought until I heard another couple on another table talking a gentlemen waiter/manager and they were not happy that the steak was not included either and Rebecca already explained to them before the gentlemen appeared that they couldnt within 1 minute of them speaking to the gentlemen they got there steak included - again this didnt bother me but it should not be one rule for one and another for another! To me that is really bad customer service.

When we returned to the room it was so stifiling hot so I turned the radiator off and opened the window it took about 2 hours for it to really cool down - there is no air conditioning in the rooms saying it is rated a 4*.

So after a rubbish nights sleep (as the pillows are terrible) we went for breakfast again not great impressions the tables had not been cleaned off with the other guests plates, cups etc and there must of been 10 tables like this - it seems as they leave them and clean all the tables in one go (relalised this on the second day as we were late for breakfast and saw them with the trolley cleaning all the table up) The breakfast was ok - Bacon, Sausages were nice the only gripe I had was the beans looked as if they had been there for a week!

Also in the breakfast menu it said there were smoothies avaliable on the buffet, I didnt see one on both days.

Room was cleaning could do with a bit of maintienence but was ok

I would also like to say that Rebecca (Waitress in the Tempest restaurant) is a asset to the Hotel

Overall would give this hotel a 4/10

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kid1250

It appears that you have had a somewhat mixed experience during your stay at The Met. The level of service and the standard which you have described during your encounters in our restaurant are certainly not reflective of the level to which we usually operate and to hear that on this occasion a number of factors have let us down is concerning.