“Comfy, convenient and friendly”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Comfy, convenient and friendly”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed a couple of nights for a visit to the university. Handy walking distance from pretty much everything in the centre of town. Staff were very friendly, bed was comfy, shower took quite a while to warm up, breakfast was plentiful and tasty, but the coffee was pretty bad.
A good base and good value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear David_B186361

Thank you for taking the time to leave comment on your experience here at The Met. Your comments were very gratefully received.

It was wonderful to read your comments regarding your stay with us and please rest assured that I will be investigating your comments regarding the shower and the coffee immediately.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Met many times more in the future

Simone Sansom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

The welcome was very good and fast so I was in my room within about 10 minutes from arrival. The room itself was of a good size with a comfortable bed and flat screen TV, with loads of channels.
I was not keen to go out so decided on Room Service, which was efficient and the meal was fine if a little lacking in quantity, although it was well advised, the extra £5:00 'tray charge' was much less welcome, as it made an ordinary meal very expensive, but I suppose that was my choice.
What was less pleasant was the emptying of the bottle bins at about 10:00pm and again much later (not sure what time) which woke me.
I might have managed 4 stars but the devil was in the detail, it started well and tailed off, sadly.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Peter M

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. Your constructive comments are very gratefully received allow us the opportunity to evaluate our offering and improve upon this for future guests.

It was disappointing to hear that your entire stay did not live up to the initial welcome that you received and for this I must apologise.

The issues surrounding the bins are ones that we are currently combating and we are confident that this will cease to have an impact on guests in the very near future, however please do accept my apologies that it directly impacted upon your stay.

The level of service and quality that you have experienced as well as the lacked attention to detail are certainly not the standard that we operate to here at The Met.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the future so that we can show you a true example of our standard.

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel look impressive, and the staff were welcoming and helpful. Just over 5 minutes walk from the railway station. I had not packed the plug from my ipad charger and one of the receptionists very kindly lent me hers. I ate out as the evening meals looked expensive for what they were.
I booked a double room because of negative comments about the size of the single rooms. Room 207 was a reasonable size, and had everything needed, including an iron and ironing board and spare bedding. The bed was comfy and I looked forward to a good night's sleep. Unfortunately the bin collection at 6 am put paid to that and I was unable to get back to sleep after 10. Minutes do very loud noise. I mentioned this at breakfast and checkout and was advised to ask for a room at the front in future as staff were aware of this. Looking at the number of guests at breakfast I would be surprised if all the front rooms were in use, and was annoyed to be told that 'we have asked them to be quiet'
My other gripe was the lack of wifi. There was wifi in the public areas, but the security levels were such that my work computer rejected it. There was none in the rooms, just an internet cable, for which there was an extra charge and unusable with my ipad. The log in seemed to be quite a convoluted process from the way it was described, so I gave up. I did travel in the afternoon, planning to do three hours work in the evening, so this was very annoying, and not what I would expect in a hotel that clearly has a lot of business users.
Breakfast was average, there were no eggs and I had to wait for these to be cooked. No butter, very little milk with my tea and I had to go round the tables trying to find marmalade. The bacon was excellent however.
A very average experience, largely redeemed by the friendly staff. To be honest, I probably would have had a similar quality stay in a premier inn or similar.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front!
1 Thank Caroelle
Dear Caroelle

It was disappointing to read that you had not had a completely satisfactory stay with us recently. For this I must apologise.
It is our aim that every guest that stays with us has a 100% wonderful experience and to learn on this occasion that we fell short of that is concerning.

I thank you for your comments regarding the WIFI and I am delighted to be able to say that this is part of our upgrade process and within the coming months we will have operational WIFI in all of our bedrooms.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future so that we may give you a true reflection of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on and so you are able to judge the changes we have made for yourself.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel seems to get mixed reviews and so i was a bit undecided whether to stay here, but i was very pleased i did.

When i arrived i parked in the underground car park, but this did not look too safe to me - unattended and not overlooked, so i moved my car to the separate ground level car park which can be seen from the hotel rooms and there is a side door that takes you straight through to the reception.

The check in was efficient and staff very helpful and friendly. My room was on the 5th floor which is reached by the lift (floors above this are not) and it was excellent - very stylishly decorated, spotlessly clean and well equipped. As in all older hotels the bathroom had been fitted into available space, but it was large enough and modern.

I have one criticism and that is the Wifi which works on a room repeater system. I could not log on but the duty manager came quickly and got the connection working, but it was not good and should really be improved.

Breakfast was excellent and hot food was cooked to order and served on a nice hot plate.

So i can really recommend this hotel on the basis of my stay - so try it yourself, especially if you want to be really near to the station and the centre of town.

Room Tip: The rooms on the fifth floor are very nice - newly decorated in a modern style and well equipped,
Dear boss1951

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Met, we value all feedback as it forms the basis of our continual development.

It was wonderful to hear that your decision to stay with us here at The Met was a justified one and very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your experience.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the very near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My girlfriends and I have just returned from a weekend at the met. We got a really fantastic deal for this hotel.

The met is a grand old hotel that has been thoughtfully modernised and tastefully decorated. The welcome we received was friendly and we were checked in very quickly. Our break included dinner and the food was very delicious, but portion sizes could have been bigger for the pasta dish. Service was good and drinks prices reasonable.

The rooms. The rooms we had were small and backed onto an alley way, the single glazed windows did let some noise in even when shut. Because the rooms were small we needed the window open to let steam out from the bathroom and to cool down the rooms after using hair dryers, etc. The bathrooms were tiny, but had everything we needed, although our shower wouldn't cool down. I really should have reported this, but I forgot.

Breakfast was good, but items not replaced quickly enough. When breads mind pastries ran out the baskets weren't refilled very quickly. The hot food was good though and tea and coffee service quick and efficient.

Location. Location was great, really close to the station and a few minutes walk to the main shops and bars.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear lexxity

It was very pleasing to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your girly weekend here at The Met and that you would stay with us again in the future.

Your comments regarding breakfast and the shower are most gratefully received and I will ensure that these are looked into straight away as a matter of urgency.

Sheffield
Reviewed 19 March 2014

First of all, I knew check in was 3ish but we turned up at 12 to drop our cases & we were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready. The lobby is immaculate & I thought the cosy seating area with the fire was a really nice touch.

The room was great, we had a king size & a double bed (book a superior twin) flat screen tv each & all the amenities you could need iron, hairdryer, toiletries, tea/coffee etc. It was spotless aswell (I always check for cleanliness!) The hotel is in a great location too. Its in the centre & a short walk from the train station, Trinity centre, bars & restaurants.

We went out for dinner and then onto the Leeds nightlife & had no issues what so ever coming in in the early hours. Staff were brilliant through out the whole stay really helpful & friendly. We were also so pleased that breakfast was being served until 11am (Sunday.) We had juice, smoothies, tea coffee, fruit, yoghurt, meats & cheeses, cooked breakfast options & everything I had was delicious.

This hotel was brilliant & well worth the money we paid, if I stay in Leeds again I will 100% stay at the met!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear April J

It was wonderful to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us here at The Met and I will be sure to pass on your comments to all of the team.

Callander, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I attended a function at the Met Hotel, Leeds and have to say, we're very disappointed at the whole place, the lunch that we ordered was expensive and poor quality, the drinks were expensive and as for room 311, the double bed was no larger than a large single bed and it was impossible to regulate the temperature in the room during the night - it was absolutely roasting even with the radiators turned off! As for the creaking floors, enough said. We left the Hotel after hardly sleeping at 05.30am in the morning to drive back up to Scotland - hardly the ideal start to a long drive! We did not even stay for the breakfast that we had paid for as part of our room bill. We will not be back!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markeverett
Dear Mr Everett,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience & I also thank you for taking the time to contact me directly after your stay.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again offer my apologies for any shortcomings during your stay with us and I trust that we may see you again at some point in the future so that you are able to sample a true reflection of the service and quality to which we usually operate.

Simone Sansom

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels