“Dirty!”

The Met Hotel Leeds
Ranked #46 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The room apparently had a double bed, but I'd hate to find out how two of us would sleep in it. Not only was it small but it was pushed up next to the wall and window. This I guess wouldn't normally be a problem, apart from dictating the small size of the room, however the once white nets were now black and the walls looked filthy! Not something you'd want to rub against in the night! The bed was adequate, the pillows were hard. The room was right opposite the lift so obviously noisy with comings and goings. The reception area gives high expectations, but was very let down by the floors and rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Trippy1982
Simone S, General Manager at The Met Hotel Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear trippy1982,

Thank you for your recent review of The Met Hotel. We value all guest comments as it allows us the opportunity to assess our current products and services.
It was disappointing to learn that you did not have the most enjoyable experience with us at The Met.
Please accept my sincerest apologies that the room was not to your taste and that you found it uncomfortable for your needs.
I will also be sure to pass on your feedback regarding the bedroom to our Head housekeeper who will be concerned with your comments.
Once again please accept my sincerest apologies, I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future so that we may show you a true reflection of the service and quality that we pride ourselves on.

Simone Sansom

Write a ReviewReviews (1,594)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Where to start. Glad I'm not disabled as the lift only goes to the fifth. Had to walk to the sixth, to get a shoe box room. No Ac so window open for the night.
The food is over priced reheated rubbish, which is fine but 40 mins to serve a burger at 16 pounds is not acceptable.
Wifi doesn't seem to work even in reception.
Decor poor and the floor boards are noisy.
Place is living on old dreams
Don't stay

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Oilmellors

Dear Oilmellors
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us, we very much appreciate all comments as they allow us to continually assess our current offering to our guests.
It was very disappointing to learn of your less than positive experience with us. It would appear that a number of factors attributed towards your poor experience and this is simply unacceptable.

The Met Hotel is a grade II listed building and as such it does pose certain restriction and this is the reason that our lift can only access the 5th floor. However we do make it a priority to inform people on check in that this is the case and should that pose an immediate problem we would be more than willing to allocate a different room.

I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the food to our Head Chef who I know will be very disappointed by your comments. We take great pride in the quality of our food and it is unacceptable that it took so long for you to receive your meal, so please do accept my apologies.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the future so that we may be able to show you a true reflection of the service and quality which we pride ourselves on and not the standard which you have recently experienced.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with lovely food and perfect service. The quiet room was adequatly furnished and the bed was comfy - what more could you want? Even although its in the middle of the city, the room was surprisingly quiuet.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 452sabre150

Dear 452sabre150
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience here at The Met Hotel.

It was wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to experience the service and quality to which we pride ourselves on here at The Met.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked to stay here on business due to excellent location next to the train station. I could find no mention of a gym on the website so tried to call the hotel for information. The phone rang out....for a loooong time. I tried a further 3 times during the course of the day with the same results. Finally I gave up and emailed them using the "contact us" function on the website. By the time someone got back to me, with a very brief and to the point reply, it was some hours later and I was already on a train. No gym time for me :(
Upon arrival the hotel is very beautiful on first inspection. I was greeted by a friendly member of staff who checked me in. I was informed that there was only one breakfast option, full English for an additional £10. No continental variation was available and since I am a vegetarian and on a strict work budget, the offer really did not appeal. The menu in the room seemed to contradict the cooked breakfast only option (Luckily there is a wetherspoons in the train station, 5 mins down the road).
The room was small but adequate. I've unfortunately had the pleasure of staying in much less appealing hotels. It was however looking a little run down, there were visible screws on the side of the bath, which I almost caught my leg on (I am accident prone) and marks, scratches and cracks throughout and some mould on bathroom tiles. Nothing serious that a little tlc wouldn't fix. The view onto the wall and the metal roof a few floors below wasn't much to behold either (and made a thunderous noise in the heavy rain). The selection of TV channels was good and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Till this point there is a chance I would have returned. That's when the floorboards and lack of sound proofing let the whole place down.
There is little that could be done to rectify this short of a compete revamp. I heard every single footstep, word and movement in the corridor and from the room above and it sounded like the floorboards were going to give way, I have never heard such noisy floorboards. I heard every word said, the tv and the poor soul snoring upstairs. I think they must have been completely oblivious to the invasion of privacy. I was embarrassed for them and exhausted and frustrated for myself. I didn't sleep a wink. Especially after their 04:30 toilet visit and what sounded like early morning gymnastics. I didn't complain, mainly I was too exhausted to do so, so late at night and I (probably incorrectly) assumed, they wouldn't put guests in such close proximity if there were other rooms available.
Upon departure, no one asked if I enjoyed my stay or seemed remotely interested. Not that I would have gone into any detail at that time, what can they really do with really old floorboards and paper thin walls and ceilings.
I would not return, as I was really there for sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Cylon666

Dear Cylon666
It was extremely disappointing to learn that you did not have the most relaxing stay whilst with us at The Met Hotel.

It is our aim that all guests have an excellent experience with us from start to finish and to learn on this occasion that we fell short of this is very disappointing.

The issues that you have made reference to are those which we are planning at the moment the best way to solve and as you quite rightly stated it is a big undertaking.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future, so you are able to judge the changes we hope to make for yourself.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Very nice hotel. We received a very warm welcome from the receptionist. Our room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was big and very clean. Great service from the restaurant waiters, evening meals were delicious! Breakfasts were very good as well, but like everywhere in the UK - missing fresh veggies (tomatoes, lettuce etc would be great for morning sandwich). Overall great stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Marta B

Thank you for your kind comments relating to your stay here at The Met.

I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding breakfast to our team so that your requests can be considered in the future when planning out our breakfast offering.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Clearly a work in progress. Not sure it can justify 4 stars. £20 extra per night to park isn't fair. Bar too small with under trained staff. Restaurant was average. Room was a good size but needs sound proofing & refurb. Great location & nice staff.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Duvetdancer

I very much appreciate your constructive comments and I will be sure to pass these back onto the team.

Here at The Met we are always looking for possible ways to improve upon our service to guests and your comments will go a great way in aiding us in that.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future and judge the changes that we have made for yourself.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my friends, my daughter-in-law and a friend shared the same room. The room was spacious and very clean, the beds were very, very comofortable. The staff were friendly and made you feel welcome and looked after. Breakfast was served in a large dining area on the ground floor and there were plenty of options to suit all tastes. Parking is an issue, however, as there are very, very few parking spaces which really need to be booked in advance. Great location for the centre of Leeds including the First Direct Arena :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Rosey A

It was wonderful to hear that you and your friends had a pleasurable experience whilst staying with us. This is the experience which we strive to give all of our guests.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvienence that you may have experienced within our car park. Unfortuantly due to the age of the building and the space around us we are limited to what we can do with our car park. However we are one of the few city centre Leeds Hotels that can offer any parking at all.

I hope that we may be able to welcome you back to The Met at some point in the near future and hope that you may be able to make more use of the facilities that we offer.