“Great stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Seaham Harbour, null, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a one night visit to leeds. On check in, we were offered an upgrade for £40 to get a better room, access to the members lounge (free drink and nibbles from 5.30-8.30pm), and breakfast the next morning! This was definitely worth the money. The room was lovely and cosy. Visited the spa in the morning and the pool was spotless, as was the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Overall a lovely stay and very reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend and will probably return if we ever go back to leeds! :-)

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Nataliexox

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us especially the upgraded package and the Leisure Club.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Paul Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Greek first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed one night as we were attending a charity function at the Hotel. The hotel is nice and is situated in the centre of Leeds close to shops and nightlife.

Our room was overlooking the street however the glazing meant you hear nothing it was clean and tidy and with everything you expect.

Breakfast was good and good selection of food was very busy but there was no waiting for food as pointed out in previous posts.

My main critism was service from the desk staff. When I booked I had been told a number of rooms had been set aside for people attending the function at a concessioned rate. When i rang the hotel I was told that the rooms had gone so had to book at normal rate. I queried this with the events organiser who after a quick phone call to the manager said there was still rooms left at the concessioned rate. So I rang back explained what had happened and was told it was a mistake and I would be now booked in on the new rate.

When we woke our bill had been pushed under the door and showed the room at normal rate and also use of the mini bar (which you need to watch). On the way to breakfast I went to the desk to querie the cost to be told by the girl on the desk she couldnt do anything till she could speak to her manager who wasnt there at that moment although she was joined by a further lady who I later found to be her manager and could have sorted it there and then. As for the mini bar bill she said we must have moved something in the fridge and deducted it.

When I returned to sort the bill the bar issue seemed to be a common theme as most had been charged and queried it, as for my room i got it sorted but after a bit of a to do.

I have marked my stay average as there is no good option, the service by the desk and booking staff let the place down.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear PDents

Thank you for your review for your recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the room rates and the way the enquiry was handled.
The minibar charges items automatically when they are moved so from time to time we have to make adjustments when the items have not been used.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Exeter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Previous visits to Marriott hotels had led us to expect an average sort of experience. We were pleasantly surprised to find a hotel belonging to this chain which was a bit better than the rest. The staff were invariably pleasant, polite and helpful. Our room (although a bit dark) was spacious and very clean and comfortable. The breakfast experience was very good and the swimming pool and related facilities were of a high standard. One real disappointment was the one evening meal we had which we did not enjoy as it did seem rather "ordinary" for a hotel of this standing. Also, the hotel is very well placed for the centre of the city for shopping and entertainment. However, the local area - including the hotel's own bar - is a focal point for late evening activity which can be rather noisy although the hotel's double glazing is pretty effective to keep the noise out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Ian C

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeded your expectations.

As you have said the hotel is in the centre of Leeds so all the shopping night life and restaurants are on the doorstep.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Yet again another most relaxing stay in Leeds , this hotel has to be the best placed in the city as it is close to all amenities , the staff are all very pleasant and if you have a problem they get it sorted as quick as they possibly can . A bit of a bonus now is the cheaper car parking the NCP has been taken over by trinity shopping and a 24 hour stay is now £9.00 instead of the astronomical £17.50 ,you di however need to have your car park ticket stamped in the reception of the hotel to get this rate .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Andy B

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and the service you received.

The Car Parking arrangements are much improved since Trinity shopping centre have taken it over.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Chorley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Booked a 22+ person conference overnight. Staff were hardworking but condition of facilities were extremely poor. We had 4 meeting rooms, all had scuffed walls, stained carpets, stained curtains, wall panels that didn't close, one light switch came off the wall when I pressed it. Plethora of of glass tables around that we're full of greasy marks and prints. Whole impression was one of grubbiness and the telephones with deposits of unidentified brown stuff on them were particularly unpleasant. Originally arrived to find rooms had been set up with scuffed and scratched Mdf meeting tables and had to insist that they were covered in tablecloths. I'm a manager of private hospitals and I understand the cost of refurbs but there has to be a minimum standard. And there is no excuse for dirty facilities. Bedroom was in better condition, small but comfortable however even when noisy aircon is off there is a constant airflow noise which was enough to keep me awake, gave up after 4 hours.

Room Tip: Ask if they have one with no aircon noise even when it's off.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hvs_10
Dear hvs_10

Thank you for your review.

We have taken on board your comments and feedback.
Our Conference and Events Manager will also be in touch with you to discuss the points raised.

Please accept my apologies for the condition of the rooms.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night on a weekend shopping trip. The stay wasn't without a couple of problems, however the staff were so helpful that the problems became great memories! Tom and Kate in the restaurant were so helpful and friendly that they made our first stay in a Marriott Hotel so good that we have booked a family break at Marriott Preston! Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 09Berry74

Thank you for your review for you recent stay with us here at the Leeds Marriott.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with especially the service you received

I hope we can welcome you back to the Leeds Marriott in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed here on a Business Trip, it was for one night only but I would not stay in this hotel again.

The hotel facilities were good or on par with any other Marriott and the staff were relatively friendly, however I have to say the cleanliness of this hotel was shocking. I arrived a little after 3pm to check in and the Reception Staff were pleasant although evidently a little preoccupied with their social conversation.

I made my way to my room, on the face of things it was pleasant enough and was fairly standard for your average hotel chain. After a little time in the room I decided to have a drink and tried to get something from the mini bar, however it was very badly stocked. Not a surprise as the era of the mini bar is coming to an end, however it was a very half hearted attempt with no water or diet soft drinks. Not a big deal!

I decided that I would get a quick nap before getting ready to go to dinner with customers, however when I looked more closely at the bedding I was horrified by what I found. There were numerous hairs in the bed, which I think is unacceptable in the hotel business as cleanliness should be the number one priority. Given the quantity of hair in the bed I was concerned about the general cleanliness, so I inspected the bedding a little more closely. I continued to find issues and some horrified me even more, on the sheet around the top of the bed there was a stain which appeared to be dried blood. Not alarming enough, I found further marks and holes in the sheets.

I decided that it wasn't hygienic and decided to contact reception to ask them to address the issue, however another facility in the room wasn't working. You guessed it, the telephone would not dial any service including reception. I made the journey to the front desk and made my feelings known about the cleanliness of my room, the young lady who dealt with my complaint was by far the best member of staff I had dealt with thus far. Housekeeping and catering staff promptly dealt with the bedding issue and mini bar level, both members of staff again were first rate.

A hotel experience which had questionable cleanliness has resulted in me not choosing to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank daveo1984
GuestMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Leeds Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear daveo1984

Thank you for your review.

To help me look into this in more depth i need some more infoirmation, so if at all possible could you please contact me via email paul.collins@marriotthotels.com or call me on 0113 2366366.

I look forward to hearing freom you so we can improve our service.