“Splendid!”

Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Splendid!”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Superb modern hotel. We stayed in a suite, which was on special offer. The room had a separate lounge area and both it and the bedroom had large flat screen Tv's. Breakfast is a buffet affair, so you can pretty much eat what you like. The restaurant is also good, if a little expensive. Stay clear of the bar - it will bankrupt you of course! Good place, well situated.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Whiskyhunter
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 16 June 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the suite that was allocated to you, our hotel`s central location and in particular, your Hilton Breakfast.

Your feedback has been passed to the Procurement Director at Hilton Head Office, who is responsible for setting our prices.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed at the Leeds Hilton for one night whilst on business. It's located in a tower block with a fantastic Livingwell health club on the ground floor. Reception is one level up. The building is about 3 minutes walk from Leeds station which is really convenient. I was allocated a suite with separate living room and a dressing room. I appreciated the free drink vouchers, mineral water, fruit and chocolate and indeed the friendly hand written card from the hotel's deputy manager. It was a very nice touch. The room itself was fine - very clean and well equipped but in all honesty could probably benefit from updating. The curtains and blinds in particular need sorting! As ever, with city centre hotels I neither got nor expected a stunning view - I overlooked the railway station, which was fine. I had dinner and drinks in the restaurant. The food, service and wine list were all great. I had pork as a main course, which was absolutely delicious. My only complaint was the room service breakfast - cheap bread, croissant that one could build a house with and tired fruit salad. It could be so much better. However, the receptionists were exceptionally helpfully when I checked out and needed both to leave my bags and find a greetings card shop quickly! All in all a good place to stay to for business in Leeds.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank francophileonthemove
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 14 June 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Leeds City, especially our convenient location, the Suite that was allocated to you and our personal touch of a welcome card from my Deputy Hotel Manager.

Your kind comments in regard to your evening meal, drinks, taken in our City 3 Restaurant, and my helpful Reception team are very much appreciated. Please be assured that I have shared your kind comments with all of my team as they act as a great motivator.

However, I am disappointed to note, that your Room Service Breakfast was not up to our usual high quality and standard. May I take this opportunity to convey my sincere apologies to you, for the disappointment and unacceptable standard of meal offered to you. I have discussed your feedback with my Executive Head Chef, who will take the appropriate corrective action.

Manchester
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed here for two nights and planned to spend one day in Leeds and one in York. We booked a Deluxe Double Room Plus and when we arrived were told we had been given a double suite at no extra cost. The room was spacious, well maintained and contemporary and came with a welcome pack, dressing gown and slippers. The room also had a work desk, two large flat screen TVs, separate living area, large wardrobe, nice contemporary bathroom with bath and very large comfortable bed.

There is a health club on the ground floor that has a small swimming pool, steam room and sauna all well maintained and a nice feature. Use of this is included in your stay and towels are provided. Breakfast is worth booking. There is a really good selection of food and we were seated quickly on both mornings. The staff were also friendly and helpful throughout the hotel.

The hotel is really well located right next to the train station, which was handy for getting to York and also close to the main shopping area and Calls Lane, which has a few nice bars.

This hotel is definitely worth considering if staying in Leeds and also if you are planning to see other places in Yorkshire.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emily2709

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the Double Suite which was allocated to you, use of the Livingwell Health Club and swimming pool and found your Hilton Breakfast, most enjoyable.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My partner and I enjoyed our evening at the Hilton. It was clean, modern and very centrally located and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was good and they let us check out late so we could enjoy a Sunday morning lie in. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robin2008
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments on Tripadvisor.
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, our hotel`s central location, Hilton Breakfast and in particular, appreciated being able to check out later, to enjoy a Sunday morning lie in.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City.

Cheshire
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were given a fantastic room which was spacious enough to fit in 2 cotbeds and high chairs provided by the hotel at our request. The staff were friendly and helpful and very accommodating to our needs with baby twins in tow. Only disappointment was the closure of the swimming pool although we could understand that it was not the fault of the hotel itself. Others may have mentioned how tight the car park spaces were. It was extremely difficult to get in and out of the car park as well as parking into the space. Couldn't have done it without parking sensors. Looking at the walls and pillars, many cars have evidently fallen victim to this tightly spaced car park. Overall, the hotel is of good standard and quality.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kumacat
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor.
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.

Your kind comments are most appreciated, I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our hotel and the service offered to you from my team. I am pleased to see that you particularly found your room spacious.

Please accept my apologies for any distress caused to you, in regard to our car park.
I have noted your feedback. The car park was built along with the hotel, over forty years ago. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused to you.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back for your return trip, very soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The location was brilliant however the hotel was old fashioned and tatty. The walls in bedroom had cracks, curtian rail was hanging off, the grouting and seals in bathroom were black.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank emmaa28
Lancaster
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I booked the Hilton for a hen party of 10 and it fitted our needs well. Despite check-in not being until 3pm, I was able to access two of the rooms prior to this, one of the normal twin rooms and a double deluxe plus. The twin rooms were of a size you'd expect in a chain hotel, but the toiletries and tea & coffee available were of good quality. The double deluxe plus had extras including numerous quality toiletries, a separate bath and shower (the room appears to serve as a room for the disabled as well as a double deluxe plus), and 2 free small bottles of wine and chocolate. It also had a separate small lounge which was perfect as it allowed all the hens to congregate in one room before the night out. Only thing missing which would have been useful is a fridge. All the rooms would have benefitted from some TLC as the decor looked tired in some.

The service from the reception staff was excellent, especially from Nick. Staff in other areas provided an okay service. We had a few problems with the Serenity spa as we'd booked the £22 per head treatments package. This included a gift of a small bottle of champagne and chocs for the hen - but they forgot to give it to us, and we had to collect it the next morning from Reception; use of the VIP lounge, which was actually a boardroom and unfortunately didn't provide enough cups and teaspoons for us to all help ourselves to the drinks provided; a half-hour treatment each - all the girls agreed that the treatments themselves were great; and VIP access to Tiger Tiger (queue jump and free entry before 10pm) - unfortunately, despite emails to Serenity stating that we wanted this access, they forgot to book us onto the guest list for Tiger Tiger. Luckily we reminded them in the afternoon otherwise we'd have been waiting outside with everyone else. Given the opportunity, I think I'd use this package again but be a bit more forceful about making sure they provide everything they say they will.

I didn't use the gym in the health club so can't comment on that. We did all use the pool though, which was okay but would have felt small if any more than our 10 had been in there. The sauna and steam rooms were very small and the jacuzzi was no warmer than the pool as it was kind of tagged onto the main pool. Still, as I only found two hotels in Leeds centre actually had facilities of this kind, it was nice to have them available.

Breakfast was included in our booking, and we found it really good with a wide choice of hot food - including veggie sausages, a bonus considering both I and the bride-to-be were vegetarian; croissants and pastries; fruits and yoghurts. Perfect after a late night out, especially as it was served from 7-11am. We arrived there at 9:30am and didn't have to queue at all, it got busier later but I only ever saw a queue of three couples.

Liked best: Separate lounge in double deluxe suite.
LIked least: Walk to Hilton to/from town as it goes through a dark, noisy underpass. Doesn't feel like you're about to walk into a Hilton.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.

Your kind comments are most appreciated, I am delighted to note that you and your friends enjoyed our hotel and the service offered to you from my team. I am pleased to see that you particularly found the early check in offered to you, on two rooms in your booking beneficial, enjoyed the toiletries, tea and coffee, wine and chocolate offered to you. We are not able to offer a fridge in any of our rooms, within our hotel, it is not Hilton standard. I am sorry for any disappointment caused to you.

Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to my Reception team, especially Nick, and all of my team at the Hilton Leeds City, as they serve as a great motivator.

I am sorry to hear of your concerns in regard to your Serenity booking. I have taken the liberty of passing your concerns to the Serenity Bookings Manager to ensure that the appropriate corrective action is taken. Please accept my sincere apologies for any distress and inconvenience that you may have experienced.

I am glad that you enjoyed our swimming pool and your Hilton Breakfast. Thank you.