“good business hotel”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Hilton Leeds City
Ranked #37 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 14 October 2011

i stay here because they offer smoking rooms, i have late night dining, and sort of cater to business people. it is within a short walking distance to leeds train station where you can catch a taxi or get to other places. the rooms are just okay, but windows open to take out the stuffiness (UK air conditioning is pretty much non-existent). staff are always helpful, friendly, and plentiful. one problem on this trip was that the first room they gave me did not have working internet. but, they switched my room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to read that you enjoy your stays with us and that we are able to accommodate you in your preferred smoking room and that decisive action was taken to ensure that you were allocated a room with working internet. We do our utmost to ensure that all guests needs are catered for and nothing is ever too much trouble.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to my team, here at the Hilton Leeds City. These are very much appreciated.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

Staying 3 nights with my wife and daughter here for the first time I was a little disappointed. The location is good for arriving by train which we did although a staircase from the station by the taxi rank proved too steep to try without mountain climbing gear! But we were there in 5 minutes anyway and entering the foyer found a rattling set of escalators had to take us to the reception although we found the main lift by the health club entrance later. The sitting area and bar are situated at the top of this noisy escalator so don't expect a relaxed, peaceful foyer. Very pleasant helpful staff evenually got us to our room on the 9th floor after a short delay and the room was quite an adequate size with a double and single bed for the three of us. The decor seemed quite tired with yellowing walls and a terrible piece of contemporary art. The wardrobe, such as it was, had only 6 hangers which for 3 people was quite insufficient. A very nice flat screen tv provided a fair selection of channels, more than is usually found in a hotel. The overriding complaint had to be the lighting which was exceptionally poor with no strong light except in the bathroom. The bedside lights were so dull you would need to move into the bathroom to read anything. The days were so full of rain clouds that you had no strong light from the window to make up for the power saving dull bulbs, even though being on the 9th floor there was a rooftop view at least? Nice bathroom and good shower although it was odd to see a tiny notice on the tiles beneath the sink about the size of a credit card asking you to keep the shower curtain inside the bath!! How you would read it unless you were either passed out on the floor or the plumber fixing the sink drain I haven't a clue? The breakfast had a good buffet selection although some of it was quite dried out sitting on hot plates but the breakfast staff were really attentive and friendly. All in all a pleasant stay but with the name HILTON I expected a much higher standard than was apparent on this showing.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the street side avoid the view of office block windows
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank yorkiebard
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regard to our escalators to take you to the 3rd Floor, however, I am glad to read that you found our guest lifts later on in your stay.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to my team, here at the Hilton Leeds City. I am delighted to read that they made you feel welcome.
I have noted your feedback in regard to your 9th floor room allocation, sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you. I am delighted to confirm to you that the 6th and 9th Floors are due to be refurbished very soon.
Thank you for your kind feedback in regard to the Hilton Breakfast offered to you.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

As part of a group, my husband and I stayed at this hotel last month. Plenty of positives, we were treated the same as 'normal' guests, not shunted off to other back rooms for diner, etc, which is rarely the case. The food was really excellent, of a really high standard. I had one of the most delicious dinners I've ever had in my life, in this hotel's restaurant. The breakfast was excellent each morning too, utterly spoilt for choice, from fruit, fresh bread, cooked breakfast, muffins...ooh yum. The staff everywhere in the hotel were friendly and professional. The only negative, and it's just nit-picking really, was that the furniture in our very pleasant room was of a budget hotel standard. But perhaps it depends on the overall standard of room you are in. We had a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stephmix
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly enjoying your dinner and breakfast that was offered to you. Your kind comments have been shared with my City 3 Restaurant Team, you are very welcome.
Please be assured I have taken the liberty of sharing all of your kind comments with all my team at the Hilton Leeds City, as they act as a great motivator. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed in this Hotel in August after going to York Races and got really good rates. Was a nice Friendly hotel and was clean but in desperate need of an update for a Hilton Hotel. For us it was just somewhere to sleep while we had a night out in Leeds so we werent to bothered about the accomodation. When we arrived there was a party in one of the function rooms and the music was extremely loud so we didnt end up having a drink at the bar we went straight out from unpacking. Overall it was ok, not sure if I would stay there for a romantic break or for a few days but is ok for a night out and somewhere to rest your head. Parking here is £12 per night but you can park 5 minutes down the road for £5.

Room Tip: Parking here is £12 per night but you can park 5 minutes down the road for £5. There is an excellen...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruby80

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I have noted your comments in regard to the function taking place at the time of your arrival, sincere apologies for the disappointment and distress caused to you.
As a city centre hotel, car parking is chargeable, as you can appreciate. I have noted your concerns and thank you once again, for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

This hotel has had some harsh reviews, but the evening meal here was excellent. The staff were attentive and helpful, despite my late arrival. The quality of the meal (which was off-menu) was superb). Sadly, breakfast let's them down with luke-warm tasteless food. The room was fine for a one-night stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly enjoying your evening meal. I have noted your comments in regard to your Hilton Breakfast, sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you. There can be no excuse for the unacceptable standards that you experienced.
On a lighter note, please be assured I have taken the liberty of sharing all of your kind comments with all my team at the Hilton Leeds City, as they act as a great motivator. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

It is not very often that I can leave a hotel without something about my stay niggling me, but on this occassion, well, there was nothing. From checking in at after 11.30 pm to picking up my bag from the concierge the following afternoon the service was exceptional.
It would appear that the hotel has been recently rennovated as my bedroom's decoration was very modern, as too was the public areas of the hotel. Staff were plentiful, attentive and personable. Breakfast was excellent (in common with most Hilton Hotels that I have used) offering both a full buffet and items cooked to order (waffles, pancakes, ommlettes, etc).
If you want a Master class in Hotel keeping, then visit here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, from your room allocation, your Hilton Breakfast and all of my team making you feel at home.

Reviewed 26 September 2011

stayed for 2 nights this weekend and loved it.had a double room with comfy bed and flatscreen tv with sky sports - bonus.Ok the carpet was a bit grubby,but i wasnt eting from it,so who cares. Staff at the bar were great,we had recently got married and we were given vouchers for a free drink and a congrats card which was a lovely touch,from an irish girl,sadly never got her name,but she was lovely,give her a large bonus Hilton,lol. Breakfast was an all you can eat buffet,and was fantastic, Will def be back. Thanks for a great weekend

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay and found your bed comfy, enjoyed your Hilton Breakfast and particularly enjoyed the Sky Sports offering available to you via your room.
Please be assured I have noted your kind comments in regard to my Bars Team, may I take this opportunity to wish you belated Wedding Congratulations!! I am glad my team took decisive action and were able to congratulate you, personally. I have taken the liberty of sharing all of your kind comments with my team at the Hilton Leeds City, as they act as a great motivator. Thank you once again.