“Bit of a let down - expected more from from a hilton”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Hilton Leeds City
Ranked #37 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I got a bit of a deal on this night in the hotel so probably paid about the right ammount for this.

The communal areas of this hotel are pretty good and the staff there are great.
Unfortunately thats the end of the good stuff.

The room was tired and not what i'd expect from either a 4* or a Hilton. Although clean the decor was very tired and the bathroom was in need of some updating, with the brass fixtures having tarnished badly, some pretty poor silicon sealant work and tiling with mildew in.
The 'world famous' breakfast was also a bit of a let down. It's presented pretty well and the pastries were good however the cooked breakfast side of it was very poor quality.

Overall an average hotel not deserving of either the hilton name or 4* rating and i would not pay full price for this.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our hotel and my team, here at the Hilton Leeds City. These are very much appreciated.
I am sorry that your room allocation was not to your liking. Please may I take this opportunity to convey my apologies to you, for the disappointment and distress caused to you.
Here at the Hilton Leeds City, there is currently a refurbishment of our 6th Floor, with the 9th Floor to follow soon after, this we feel will enhance our guest experience.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regard to your Hilton Breakfast, there can be no excuse for the poor quality of the cooked breakfast offered to you. May I take this opportunity to convey my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you.
Thank you once again for your valued feedback, we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed for two nights. Staff were fantastic. The room we had was excellent for a family. Breakfast excellent. Short walking distance from Leeds city. Car park was ok but a little tight to drive around.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank eanju
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to my team, your room allocation and your Hilton Breakfast. These are very much appreciated.
I have noted your feedback in regards to the car park, which is over 40 years old, built at a time when cars were much smaller. I am sorry for any disappointment caused to you.
Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

Stayed here isn October 2011. The communal areas are fine and the staff are great. This only served to increase my disappointment with the room. Mouldy bath, peeling paint, stained loo paper (also mouldy), damaged door, rusting bathroom fittings, hideously stained carpets. Not nice. Also kept awake by the noise of people opening and closing windows.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor at all costs. Even the staff say that it is in dire need of refurbishment.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to my team, here at the Hilton Leeds City. These are very much appreciated.
Thank you once again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

i stay here because they offer smoking rooms, i have late night dining, and sort of cater to business people. it is within a short walking distance to leeds train station where you can catch a taxi or get to other places. the rooms are just okay, but windows open to take out the stuffiness (UK air conditioning is pretty much non-existent). staff are always helpful, friendly, and plentiful. one problem on this trip was that the first room they gave me did not have working internet. but, they switched my room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to read that you enjoy your stays with us and that we are able to accommodate you in your preferred smoking room and that decisive action was taken to ensure that you were allocated a room with working internet. We do our utmost to ensure that all guests needs are catered for and nothing is ever too much trouble.

Reviewed 13 October 2011

Staying 3 nights with my wife and daughter here for the first time I was a little disappointed. The location is good for arriving by train which we did although a staircase from the station by the taxi rank proved too steep to try without mountain climbing gear! But we were there in 5 minutes anyway and entering the foyer found a rattling set of escalators had to take us to the reception although we found the main lift by the health club entrance later. The sitting area and bar are situated at the top of this noisy escalator so don't expect a relaxed, peaceful foyer. Very pleasant helpful staff evenually got us to our room on the 9th floor after a short delay and the room was quite an adequate size with a double and single bed for the three of us. The decor seemed quite tired with yellowing walls and a terrible piece of contemporary art. The wardrobe, such as it was, had only 6 hangers which for 3 people was quite insufficient. A very nice flat screen tv provided a fair selection of channels, more than is usually found in a hotel. The overriding complaint had to be the lighting which was exceptionally poor with no strong light except in the bathroom. The bedside lights were so dull you would need to move into the bathroom to read anything. The days were so full of rain clouds that you had no strong light from the window to make up for the power saving dull bulbs, even though being on the 9th floor there was a rooftop view at least? Nice bathroom and good shower although it was odd to see a tiny notice on the tiles beneath the sink about the size of a credit card asking you to keep the shower curtain inside the bath!! How you would read it unless you were either passed out on the floor or the plumber fixing the sink drain I haven't a clue? The breakfast had a good buffet selection although some of it was quite dried out sitting on hot plates but the breakfast staff were really attentive and friendly. All in all a pleasant stay but with the name HILTON I expected a much higher standard than was apparent on this showing.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the street side avoid the view of office block windows
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank yorkiebard
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regard to our escalators to take you to the 3rd Floor, however, I am glad to read that you found our guest lifts later on in your stay.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to my team, here at the Hilton Leeds City. I am delighted to read that they made you feel welcome.
I have noted your feedback in regard to your 9th floor room allocation, sincere apologies for the disappointment caused to you. I am delighted to confirm to you that the 6th and 9th Floors are due to be refurbished very soon.
Thank you for your kind feedback in regard to the Hilton Breakfast offered to you.

Reviewed 7 October 2011

As part of a group, my husband and I stayed at this hotel last month. Plenty of positives, we were treated the same as 'normal' guests, not shunted off to other back rooms for diner, etc, which is rarely the case. The food was really excellent, of a really high standard. I had one of the most delicious dinners I've ever had in my life, in this hotel's restaurant. The breakfast was excellent each morning too, utterly spoilt for choice, from fruit, fresh bread, cooked breakfast, muffins...ooh yum. The staff everywhere in the hotel were friendly and professional. The only negative, and it's just nit-picking really, was that the furniture in our very pleasant room was of a budget hotel standard. But perhaps it depends on the overall standard of room you are in. We had a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stephmix
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly enjoying your dinner and breakfast that was offered to you. Your kind comments have been shared with my City 3 Restaurant Team, you are very welcome.
Please be assured I have taken the liberty of sharing all of your kind comments with all my team at the Hilton Leeds City, as they act as a great motivator. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed in this Hotel in August after going to York Races and got really good rates. Was a nice Friendly hotel and was clean but in desperate need of an update for a Hilton Hotel. For us it was just somewhere to sleep while we had a night out in Leeds so we werent to bothered about the accomodation. When we arrived there was a party in one of the function rooms and the music was extremely loud so we didnt end up having a drink at the bar we went straight out from unpacking. Overall it was ok, not sure if I would stay there for a romantic break or for a few days but is ok for a night out and somewhere to rest your head. Parking here is £12 per night but you can park 5 minutes down the road for £5.

Room Tip: Parking here is £12 per night but you can park 5 minutes down the road for £5. There is an excellen...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruby80

Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I have noted your comments in regard to the function taking place at the time of your arrival, sincere apologies for the disappointment and distress caused to you.
As a city centre hotel, car parking is chargeable, as you can appreciate. I have noted your concerns and thank you once again, for your valued feedback.