“One of the worst Hilton hotels - tired & dirty!”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Hilton Leeds City
Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“One of the worst Hilton hotels - tired & dirty!”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We booked an Executive Deluxe room for 2 nights to celebrate my husband's birthday. The room looked great on first inspection as we had a separate living area and bedroom but on close inspection the carpets were badly stained and there were scratches and holes in the furniture. The bathroom was horrid, it was filthy. Although spacious, and clearly designed for disabled guests the toilet was almost under the sink (no idea why with all the space), the shower was covered in mould and the showerhead a health risk. The bathroom mirror frame had lost most of it's paintwork, the tap on the sink and shower seat were broken and a thick layer of dust covered most surfaces - need I go on! I'm a Hilton loyalty card holder so usually quite a fan, but this was definitely the worst I have stayed in. At least the bed was as comfy as I you would expect from this chain.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your comments, which have been duly noted. I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regard to your room allocation. We are currently refurbishing our 6th Floor, with the 9th Floor to follow along with the 10th Floor, this we feel will enhance our guest experience. I am sorry for the inconvenience and distress caused to you.
I am delighted to note that you found your bed comfy, thank you for your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon and thank you, once again for your feedback.

Ian James Hotel Manager Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I visited this hotel in october this year and I though I'd finally experience the hilton standard, I've stayed at The Mariott, Peninsula, Sheraton and Novotel before so this was going to be an exciting stay.. or so i thought.

To my huge distress there was not any Wi-Fi at the hotel so i had to go down and pay to use a computer at the buisness centre. the comupeter was horrible, slow and old which also crashed while i was online.
I did not bring my computer since it stood in the hotel description at hotels.com that ther was an avalible wireless internet, I mitgh or might have gotten this wrong but the buisness centre is awful and the price for any kind of internet are outageous.
None the less i got internet at starbucks for free

Now to the room, since I am 19 years of age i could not afford a suite so I had a standard room at the 10th floor, the room was very cold and very standard and once again ther was a contradiction to what i have read at the hotels.com site, no welcome treats? Not that I cared too much but i felt very reluctant to go down to reception and ask the staff since they were very impatient and on the verge to rude and didn't seem to want to help me at all with proper informaion about the internet... and this was on my first day.
I think that a free Wi-Fi should be a feature for all five star hotels when even hostels has it, and it's not like Wi-Fi is something new for the market either.

At the bar I couldn't even order a sex on the beach since nobody knew how to do one of the world's most famous cocktails.

second day (11th of october) i was greeted by a very nice (other) girl in the reception who was kind enough to lend me an umbrella and give me very good info about the town.

The breakfast was very standard and not at what i excpected, there was a slim ammount of dishes and nothing seemed really fresh, you could tell that the bacon and other warm dishes had been kept warm for too long and both juices, cereal, cheeses and other standard breakfast items were extremly limited. Although the man in charge of the breakfast was very kind.

I have to say that some of the staff we're really nice but some of them were just not up to a 5 star standard.
I recently booked a night at a two star hotel and the difference in how the staff teated me was night and day, i'd book another night at that hotel in a second, but i would never ever book another night at this hotel.
since i do not feel that this was good value for money.

this hotel has the standard of a three star hotel.

The shining star of this whole experience was the wonderful maid who cleaned my room and brought me band-aids, what a lovley woman she was!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My wife and I decided to go to Leeds for a long weekend away from home for a little relaxation and sightseeing. As Diamond Honours members we naturally chose the Hilton. The beginning was not auspicious. On the day we travelled I woke up with toothache and had an emergency root canal before leaving home. I was also worried about the quality of the hotel given some of the previous comments.
Our first impression was positive. There was some very attractive modern art in the ground-floor entrance and check-in went well. The room was very attractively decorated in a modern style and did not fit some of the comments I’d seen. A member of staff later told me that I was in a refurbished room and they were gradually working through the entire hotel.
Hilton staff were friendly and helpful; the friendliness was genuine and not turned on and off as you passed. I must admit that was also true of everyone we met in Leeds. We had breakfast in the restaurant which was very attractive. The food was excellent.
The location of the Hilton in Leeds is perfect. It’s next door to the main station; it’s close to the centre of the city; it’s near to the canals. We didn’t know about the canals but you only have to go a few yards from the Hilton to come across some quite amazing old canals, and the river that flows though some long tunnels under the station.
Only two things have prevented me from giving the hotel an excellent rating. The room we were in was small. It was big enough for one person and ok for two who were spending little time in the room. However, there was not enough room for two people to relax. The other point of concern was soundproofing. We had no problems because our neighbours were not noisy and we were at the end of a corridor. However, the fast that we could sometimes hear people indicated that noise could be a problem if you were unlucky.
Would we go back? Absolutely. We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend at the Hilton in Leeds. It's also excellent value for money.

Room Tip: I would suggest at the end of a corridor.
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope that you are feeling much better now.
I have taken the liberty of sharing all of your kind comments with all my team, as they act as a great motivator. Thank you once again.
I have noted your feedback in regard to the room allocated to you, I am sorry for any disappointment caused to you.
Thank you once again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.

lancashire
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed one night 12/11/2011 arrived early and tried to check in at one thirty told room not ready but to give it an hour.When we came back we were told cleaners in room give us 15 mins.Waited till three(official check in time)and was told been a problem room not been started yet have a drink on us sorry.Whilst drinking our comp drink a young lady introduced herself as the duty manager full of appologises she was a credit to the hotel did not give us any bulls..t just told us the truth that the hotel had cocked up within ten mins she had sorted it out and put complementery wine in our room.
After our night out (wedding do) we returned to the hotel and had adrink in the bar the two ladies behind the bar went out of there way to make you feel welcome even though it was very late.
The room was very tired and long over due its refurbishment but it was clean and comfy.
We were on floor 9 and we are told it is due to be upgraded this month.
The breakfast was brill all you could eat and lots of variety.
The duty manager from the day before was serving and made a point of checking that everthing had been ok.

2 Thank seansheepdip
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regard to your check in time. As you can appreciate, we are unable to offer an early check in to all our guests. Check in time is usually 3.00pm, this is based on our business levels and who has stayed the previous night in your allocated room. I am sorry for the inconvenience and distress caused to you.
I am delighted to read that my Duty Manager took decisive action and offered you a complimentary drink and arranged a bottle of complimentary wine for you, with her compliments for the inconvenience caused to you and of course, when seeing you the next day, made sure that all was okay with your stay.
In regard to your allocated room on the 9th floor, yes, we are due to refurbish this floor as soon as the 6th floor refurbishment is complete along with the 10th floor. We feel this will enhance our guest`s experience.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your breakfast, thank you for your kind comments.
I have taken the liberty of sharing all of your kind comments with my team, as they act as a great motivator. Thank you once again.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Hotel is lovely nice restaurant great food but service poor!!!!! Will not go there again!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom A
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am delighted to note that you enjoyed great food in our City 3 Restaurant, may I take this opportunity to convey my apologies to you for the disappointment caused to you by our poor service. There can be no excuse for the unacceptable standards that you experienced.
I am sorry to read that you feel unable to return to our hotel, we would love to have the opportunity of restoring your faith in the Hilton Leeds City. Feel free to contact my PA, Janet McAteer, should you reconsider via email: janet.mcateer@hilton.com or telephone: 0113 290 6802 to make the necessary arrangements for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City.

Cheltenham
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night and it was reasonable but not outstanding. The location was the main reason for staying here as it is five minutes from the railway station and centre of Leeds. The reception service was functional but the alarm call I ordered for the following day never arrived! The room was fairly basic for the cost of the stay but was clean and met my needs. The restaurant food was good albeit there was a long wait for my main course as I did not order a starter. The restaurant service was friendly and, as a diner on my own, I was well cared for. Breakfast was very good with a wide selection to choose. Again the staff were welcoming. Overall it was adequate and met my needs but was not outstanding.

Room Tip: Avoid being close to the lift area on each floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TKCheltenham
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your comments in regard to our hotel. I am sorry to read that you did not receive your alarm call from my Reception Team. Sincere apologies for the unnecessary inconvenience and distress caused to you.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your meals during your stay with us and especially found Breakfast very good.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon and thank you for your feedback, once again.

Lincs
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed for 2nights in a standard double room with breakfast and dinner on the 1st evening. The dinner was good, a carvery which I'd happily pay £30-40 for in another restaurant for the 2 of us. The breakfast was literally fill your plate up with everything and could help yourselves with more yohurts, toast, cereal etc as you wished. Overall the location was ideal for walking to shops, wine bars, restaurants on the 2nd evening etc and easy to find. Service from all staff was absolutely fine. Would use again if on a deal as thought their 'normal tariff' was a tad expecsive for the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our hotel, the dinner offered to you on the first night of your stay and your Hilton Breakfast. I am delighted to note that you thoroughly enjoyed these and my team made you welcome.
I have noted your feedback in regard to the quality of our rooms. Sorry for any disappointment caused to you. We currently are undergoing refurbishment of our 6th Floor, with the 9th Floor soon to follow after, along with the 10th Floor in early 2012.
Thank you once again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.