“Lovely stay!!”

Hilton Leeds City
Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
“Lovely stay!!”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

After seeing all bad reviews on here me and my boyfriend were dreading our night at the hilton but infact we ended up having a lovely time..the parking was simple enough it was no more difficult than any other city centre parking and the staff on reception were lovely. We had booked a standard room which was very nice and really clean. We would definately stay at the hilton leeds again :D

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank emmamorley
Janet M, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 5 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback following your stay at the Hilton Leeds City.
I was really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I really appreciate your time and effort, and hope to welcome you back soon.

Hotel Manager Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Nice ambience and rooms, excellent food! - This sums up our stay en route to York, a trip organised by a London tour company, it was a great stopover staying at the Hilton and although this was not 5* comfort, it was a nice stopover hotel and the food was fantastic. I would recommend a property if location is a preference.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rajiv25
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I was really glad to read that you had a great stay! Thank you in particular for your kind comments regarding our food.
Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Wirral, Merseyside
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Stayed for 1 night for a business trip and needed to be close to the train station. Used to live in Leeds so familiar with the area. In the past have stayed at the Mint hotel around the corner which is very good but unfortunately was unavailable. Upon check in, I was informed that I had been 'upgraded' to the 6th floor which had been refurbished and only completed that day. I have to say that the room was fairly standard in terms of decor. I would not recommend this hotel for two reasons. Firstly, the noise is quite frankly unacceptable. You could hear the slightest noise in the corridor into the early hours of the morning and from around 5am could hear every announcement at the railway station. The hotel appears to lack any sort of quality soundproofing. Secondly, the mattress was appalling. This is especially bad given the fact that the room was a supposed upgrade and had literally just been refurbished. I thought it was poor that the hairdryer in my room was broken given the fact that the room was being used for the first time since the upgrade, however the front desk replaced it within 10 minutes of calling them. I wasn't impressed that the hotel charges £14.99 for internet use whether in the room or lobby. All in all not a pleasant experience - if wish to be close to the railway station, the Mint is a better option.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank disneygem
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
I am sorry for your disappointment in regards to your room allocation and the services offered to you. I am sorry that the refurbished room did not meet your needs. As you can appreciate, our hotel and car park is over 40 years old. Your comments have been duly noted.
From the 1st January 2012, we are offering complimentary internet access in our 3rd floor lobby and public areas.
I am sorry you did not experience a great stay, and hope you would give us the opportunity to show that this is not indicative of a usual stay at the Hilton Leeds City.

Hotel Manager Hilton Leeds City

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2011

A great disappointment all around. On Saturday night, we were put in a make shift restaurant in a conference room as the main restaurant had been booked for a Christmas party hence the main lobby and bar were not available to the residents.The food was appalling,the service was non-existent as we had to clear our plates from the table before getting the next course, the room on the top floor was extremely noisy with the air conditioning straight above us on the roof was thumping all night and was hot as the thermostat did not seem to be working. Breakfast was OK but we had to send back the tea pots as they were covered in food and had difficulty in finding clean plates from the buffet area. In summary, an expensive weekend with nothing positive to say about the hotel. We would have got a much higher standard room in a Travel Lodge and a better meal in a local cafe.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the top floor - too noisy with the air conditioning system - rooms are of poor...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monique A
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.
I am sorry for your disappointment in regards to your recent stay.
As you can appreciate, December is a very busy month for us and we have to address our offerings as a hotel, to meet our business needs.
Wherever possible we try to accommodate all our guests needs, but on the night in question, our City 3 Restaurant was fully booked for a Festive Party Night. This lead to us having to offer our hotel guests, an alternative room. I apologise, that it did not meet with your approval. I am sorry for the disappointment caused to you.
I have noted your additional feedback in regards to your food and drinks offered to you during your stay with us. There can be no excuse for the unacceptable standards that you experienced. Your comments have been duly noted and the appropriate corrective action has been taken.
We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon and thank you for your feedback.

berkshire
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This is a Hilton Hotel and with that comes expectations of all things the 'Hilton' brand name is supposed to represent. Firstly the location is good, very close to the train station and town center. The bedrooms are tired and quite frankly I have stayed in better rooms than this at a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn. The Hilton charges a premium rate above it's competitors and so as a paying customer I don't expect to stay in a room with very basic amenities. The bathrooms have mold in the grouting, on close inspection they are not cleaned very well, the toiletries are cheap with old towels and no flannels. The shower is poor and the room service food is very poor quality. Even when you are a silver points member I can't see any perks above and beyond being someone who has no points at all. This Hotel has a spa - even the changing facilities are poorly cleaned and again in need of modernisation. The aircon system in the room was turned off, however at 4am there were construction noises coming through the vents. How is this acceptable to stay at a hotel on business and be woken up at 4am and not be able to get back to sleep due to noise? I stayed at the Mint Hotel, the following night, just 2 minutes round the corner. This is a complete contrast - a cheaper hotel room rate and yet completely modernised, full of great technology within the room with an excellent room service menu and fantastic, well cooked food. This particular Hilton is no comparison with say the Hilton in Singapore, and that's my point, there is no continuity with the Hilton Brand. This Hotel needs to step up in terms of technology within their hotel, Food, service and understanding you can go else where, for a cheaper rate, and get a much better hotel experience.

Room Tip: Go to the Mint Hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank travellersunme
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your comments, which have been duly noted. I am sorry for your disappointment in regards our hotel. As you can appreciate, our hotel and car park is over 40 years old.
We recently have refurbished our 6th Floor, with the 9th Floor currently being refurbished along with the 10th Floor to follow. This we feel will enhance our customer`s expectations and offer a more modern feel to every guests stay.
I have taken the liberty of speaking to my Head Housekeeper in regards to your cleanliness issues, along with speaking with my Livingwell Health Club Manager in regard to your concerns relating to the changing facilities.
We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon, and thank you once again, for your feedback.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This hotel for us is convenient! It has a car park that is right by the hotel, even though it is very tight for our car (Mercedes estate), and as I am disabled I cannot walk for 15 minutes to get to the car, which is all that many other hotels can offer! However at £104 per night, even with a HHonours membership, without breakfast, it is very expensive for the rooms you get. Our room was a reasonable size and it did have a walk in shower and disabled facilities in the bathroom. Unfortunately the bed was absolutely awful, and every time I turned over the springs twanged and woke me up. I don't sleep well at the best of times, and have to take medication to do so, but because of the mattress I got very little sleep (about 3 hours). We did not have to rush out in the morning so put the do not disturb sign on our room. At 8 a.m. someone was hammering nearby, at 8.15 a.m. the cleaners came along the corridor shouting to each other, then they were in the room next door and were banging and hoovering, and the final straw was when we could hear them talking about someone they worked with, followed by raucous laughter (and I am grateful I don't work with these 'ladies')! Great, by this time it was 8.38 and we decided to get up!! Why bother saying the rooms are available until 12 when you have staff banging and shouting from 8 a.m.? And why bother having Do Not Disturb signs, you would have to be deaf or dead to sleep through the noise of the workmen and cleaners!!! I know they have a job to do, I have family members who work in hotels, and one that owns a hotel, but please, a bit of thought and consideration wouldn't go amiss!! I will have to use this hotel again, because my son lives and works in Leeds, and as he house shares we have to stay in a hotel. I did not complain on leaving, because to be quite honest I just wanted to get home and I felt so ill by the time we left I couldn't face the confrontation! Other things that bugged me were the cost of drinks, soft and alcoholic, they were extortionate and seem to have gone up an awful lot since our last visit. On our arrival at 2.30 p.m. we were told our room was not ready (yes I know it is 3 p.m. but surely the rooms should have been ready by then, they start cleaning early enough!!) and the young lady on reception said she would come and let us know when the room was ready and she hoped it would be ready by 3!!! We sat in the very cold foyer and had a very expensive coffee, and watched 3 people come in and register for their rooms and be given keys, while we still waited for ours. The young lady who spoke to us on our arrival seemed to be getting ready to go, and two new staff members came on duty, so my husband had to go to reception again to ask if our room was ready, which it was! Very frustrating when you just get forgotten! On the plus side, because I have a blue badge we don't have to pay the £15 to park the car!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon M
Please accept my appreciation to you, thank you for your valued feedback.
Thank you for your comments; I am delighted to note that you found our hotel convenient for your needs.
I am sorry for your disappointment in regards to the mattress in your bedroom. Please accept my apologies for the distress and inconvenience caused to you. On 21st and 22nd December 2011, we replaced every mattress in the hotel.
There can be no excuse for the lack of empathy and discretion shown to you, by my Housekeeping Team. I have discussed your concerns at great length with my Head Housekeeper to ensure that the appropriate re-training is carried out with all of my team.
I am sorry if the maintenance being carried out on the adjoining room, disturbed you.
I have noted your additional feedback in regard to the price of drinks offered to you, during your stay with us. As you can appreciate our prices are set by Hilton Head Office. I have taken the liberty of passing your comments on, to be reviewed.
Our rooms are allocated to guests, as soon as they become available. Check-in time is 3pm, however, over busy periods, are rooms do occasionally have a late check-in, therefore, our Housekeeping Team are unable to access the room for cleaning until it becomes vacant. I appreciate your frustration, and I am so sorry that you had to purchase coffees. I have spoken to my Front of House Manager in regard to your concerns. I feel as you were waiting, you should have been offered a complimentary drink, to be enjoyed whilst you waited for your room to become available.
There are currently only 2 disabled rooms in the hotel. I believe a specific room was allocated to you.
I am sorry you were unable to raise the issues prior to leaving the hotel. I am confident we could have worked to resolve your issues.
I would like the opportunity to assist you with your future booking, to ensure that you do not experience the same issues. Please feel free to contact my PA, Janet McAteer on telephone: 0113 290 6802 or via email, if you prefer: janet.mcateer@hilton.com, as I believe we could do better.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, which has been duly noted. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed for a quick overnight business trip. All you expect from Hilton and delighted to be upgraded to a deluxe room with a tray full of goodies. The location is great, but I was kept awake all night by the screeching from the trains pulling into the station behind the hotel. Car park was tight to drive and park, worth noting. Would return for location and great Costa Coffee with breakfast but need to remember ear plugs!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Marie C
Janet M, PA to Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. I really appreciate your time and effort to feedback to us.
I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the upgrade to a Deluxe room and your tray of goodies.
I am sorry for your disappointment in regards to the train noise and our hotel`s car park. We are located very centrally in Leeds. Noise is very subjective from customer to customer. I am sure however that we can locate your room in an area that meets your needs. As you can appreciate, our hotel and car park is over 40 years old. Built at a time when cars were much smaller. Naturally we do periodically review the car park and collate customer comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City, very soon, and thank you once again for taking the time to comment.