“A Under performing Hilton”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Hilton Leeds City
Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A Under performing Hilton”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

This is my 2nd stay at this particular propery last month. Hilton is indeed my preferred hotel chain and as a HHonors member have stayed in Hilton hotels throughout the world and im therefore very aware of the high standards that Hilton adhere to, hence this hotel needs performance managing by a regional manager as its simply not up to Hilton standard. Infact I stayed at the Hampton by Hilton in Liverpool recently, where the standards were 10 times higher! However lets return to fact.
I arrived at the hotel on the afternoon of Sunday Dec 30th where we discovered the main door was broken and one of the lifts were out of order, not a good start. I did however appreciate the early check in on a cold december afternoon, on what was a short stopover between London and Northumberland. Our room was located on the 11th floor. The bathrooms are brand new and beautiful with the usual Peter Thomas roth toiletries. Unfortunatly the bathroom which was immaculatly clean was the hotels only redeming factor. The room itself was very compact, not even an easy chair to relax on,while there was clearly space for one. The carpet was grotty and had not been vacumed from the previous guest. The heating did not work. It simply blasted out cold air and would not switch off.I informed the duty manager who tried to rectify the situation but all he was able to do was switch the entire system off at an external trip switch. I then booked a wake up call which did not arrive, fortunatly id also set the alarm on my mobile. The icing on the cake however was when i came out of the shower that morning in room 1104 obviously in my bare fet and without glasses on, I went to open the wardrobe floor and cut my foot on two large sharp nails that were sticking out of the carpet. I received not even as much as an apology from the disinterested reception staff when I asked them to record it inthe accident book, which I hope they have done as this situation now has the potential to become a legal matter. We had a 7:45am train but going to the restaurant was not possible since breakfast service did not commence until 8:00am on a non bank holiday Monday Morning! totaly unacceptable for an International hotel. A complete catalogue of errors. Hilton need to sort out this property which has some very apparent Issues. Outdated lobby clearly needs a complete refurbishment as does the health club which was very basic for a hotel of this calibre. Communal showers in the mens changing room!!!! While im not at all shy about my body this is not something one expects in a hilton property

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear flyingboy72

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Tripadvisor, further to completing a guest comment card, speaking to my Reception Team and sending the email to my PA, in regard to your recent return visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
As per noted, in my PA`s initial email response to you of 31st December 2012, a full investigation is taking place into your concerns and a response will be sent to you, as noted, within 3 days.
Thank you once again, for your feedback and we will be in touch with you, upon your direct return email as soon as we are able.

General Manager Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Badwell Ash, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Yes it's a Hilton however this is one that does try to make the visit memorable

Always been treated well, good reception and bar team , always friendly and helpful.

Rooms are clean and well appointed which you would expect.

The highlight for me is BREAKFAST

It is well prepared and set out in a way that makes you want to eat it.

It the little touches like lying the bacon out in single level and on bread to ensure the bacon is not greasy

Looking forward to going back in May 2013

Room Tip: Ask for High floor at booking and if using Hilton site tick the upgrade on arrival option
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Dear RB2614

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, further to your recent return visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Your kind comments are very much appreciated. I will take the liberty of sharing these with all my team, here at the Hilton Leeds City. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, enjoying the little Hilton personal touches that we aspire to.
Thank you once again, for your feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City in May 2013.

Ireland
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This was my first time staying there.

Check-in was quick and efficient. I had a 'possible' problem with the strength of the power supply in my room which was rectified quickly once I reported it. In fact it was resolved before I got back up to my room, which leads to the possibility that I mis-diagnosed it initially??? Either way it was fixed quickly.

Great check-out service at breakfast where the Receptionist had my bill completed for me as I came out from breakfast.

The location is near to the railway station which is handy for those catching early morning train connections.

I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Irishwhite01

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind comments on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, and my team were able to take decisive action to ensure that your stay was to your satisfaction.
Thank you once again, for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City very soon.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights just before Christmas to do some shopping in Leeds.

The hotel is very central and just around the corner from the train station. Don't make the mistake of getting in a taxi outside the station as he took us around the town and charged us £5 for the ride but we realised in the morning that we were right next to it!

Our room was amazing! We had recently married so the hotel gave us an upgraded room and we were welcomed by 2 bottles of wine, cakes, chocolate, crisps and fruit! A lovely touch which went down a treat! The only downside is that the heating system was not very good and we were pretty cold.

Breakfast was outstanding! Everything you could think of- hot and cold.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Janet M, PA to General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Dear Dannylang

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Belated Wedding Congratulations to you!! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, enjoying the complimentary upgrade of room you were allocated, the Hilton Breakfast and complimentary gestures of wine, cake, chocolate, crisps and fruit, which were made available to you.
I have noted your concerns in regard to the heating system made available to you. I am sorry to read of your disappointment. We do have Duty Management, contactable via Reception, available 24/7 should any guest need further assistance, during their stay with us.
Thank you once again, for your feedback and we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City very soon.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Overall I was disappointed with a number of things when we stayed on evening of 22nd Dec -

- some random crumbs in corner of room
- only one bathrobe provided in a double room booked for 2
- VERY noisy aircon system that we weren't able to turn off and made a noise like a pneumatic drill all night.
- hot tub wasn't hot (or even warm)

Not what I'd expect from a 4 star despite the reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Janet M, PA to General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Dear Sean8921

Thank you for your feedback placed on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
I am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectation. We do have Duty Management, contactable via Reception, available 24/7 should any guest need further assistance, during their stay with us.

Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

I was quite disappointed on a second visit to be given a lesser room than the first visit. It was old fashioned decor - which was fine really no trouble but the issue was that it was an ex smoking room and it smelt quite musty and stale. A call to reception hoping for a room change sent a porter up with an air freshener about 40 minutesa later, which didn't resolve my disappointment. Bit of a shame really. I think a lower rate should be charged for a less nice room. Overall I would book again and keep my fingers crossed for a non smoking room.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Janet M, PA to General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Dear yorkshire_sprite
Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Tripadvisor, further to your recent return visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Please feel free to make contact with my PA, Janet McAteer via email: janet.mcateer@hilton.com who will be delighted to make the necessary arrangements for you to ensure that your return visit is to your satisfaction.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012

3 of us were staying at the Hilton for our Christmas party. The spa was nice but the water was tepid and the sauna very small only fitting 4 people, we also discovered a worm on the floor in the sauna which was unpleasant. We have an executive room on the 12th floor, fantastic views of Leeds and a comfortably large room and good size bathroom. The Hilton Leeds does not provide triple rooms so 2 had to share the double bed and 1 slept on the sofa bed. The sofa bed was comfortable as was the main bed but only 1 pillow each with no extras provided. Also the room was booked for 3 people but only coffee making facilities provided for 2 people and only 2 bathrobes. Complimentary chocolate bars and wine was provided which was good and nice bathroom bottles. The staff were very friendly, bathroom had a good size bath and but the shower head was difficult as did not face downward to towards the wall meaning I had to balance it to face downward.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Janet M, PA to General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Dear Sleepy1568

Thank you for your kind comments that you have placed on Tripadvisor, further to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Thank you once again, for your constructive feedback which has been noted, we look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City very soon.