“Enjoyable stay - great location for visitors arriving by train”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Ranked #36 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was attracted here by a really good online deal - I usually stay at the Doubletree, but the price was £60 cheaper over 2 nights, and I was arriving by train so the location was marginally better. Not my first stay here, so I knew what to expect - decent room, good workstation with 2 power sockets, good amenities and handy for everything Leeds has to offer - cool bars, trad pubs, good eating, all within a 20-minute walk. Staff are friendly and helpful (and mostly local). Good local cab service from amber cars (private hire) or if you're in a rush walk to the station, less than 5 minutes away, where there are always cabs available (in my experience, anyway)
This review also published as 'David P' by the hotel's own website, but that's not my regular ID, and I prefer to publish here.

Room Tip: Free wifi only if you buy an upscale package, or have a gold card or better, otherwise it's a ri...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear David P

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind comments online via Tripadvisor, further to completing an online survey, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Please be assured that all your feedback and observations have been noted and shared with all my team at the Hilton Leeds City.
Thank you once again for your valued feedback and loyalty. It is very much appreciated.

Hilton Leeds City

Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I wasn't particularly impressed by the Leeds Hilton for the price paid; at £145 a room (excluding breakfast) I found it distinctly average. Having paid the extra £10 for breakfast it was a little lacking and tasted like it had sat under the heat lamps a little too long. There are definitely better (and cheaper) hotels in Leeds for a business or city break.

Stayed: July 2014
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear foxypinklady

Thank you for taking the time to place your comments online via Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Please be assured that all your feedback and observations have been noted and shared with the appropriate Heads of Department. I am sorry to read that our hotel did not live up to your expectations.
I am sorry to read of your disappointment at Breakfast. I am sure had you highlighted your concerns at the time of your stay, a member of our Breakfast team would have been delighted to ensure that you were offered a Breakfast more to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Definitely pros and cons to this hotel. For what I paid was definitely expecting more luxury for my money. The bath was particularly disappointing was hoping for a large freestanding and got a bog standard small bath. With a dodgy shower curtain and disappointing shower. that said. room was nice. staff friendly. and breakfast was lovely and fresh with plenty of choice. had a nice stay overall. p's you need a map to find the car park.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear lucy b

Thank you once again for your valued feedback. I am sorry to read that our hotel did not live up to your expectations.
Delighted to read that my team offered you first class service and you enjoyed your room allocation and Hilton Breakfast, which offered plenty of varied choice to you.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Although the Leeds Hilton is probably a little older than many, it's very conveniently located in the city centre and next to the rail station. Th hotel offerec comfortable accommodation, , good food and gym facilities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Thank David Granville... G

Dear David Granville... G

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind comments online via Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Your feedback and loyalty is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My son and I visited Leeds just for the 1 night as we were going to see Shrek the Musical - the HIlton City was the most reasonably priced hotel with availability at time of booking. I got the special B&B rate.
We travelled by train so being literally a 5 mins walk from the station was very convenient, the concierge greeted us on arrival and pointed out where the lifts were - the reception staff were polite, I am a Hilton Honors member and was hoping for an upgrade (to avoid paying for wifi) but sadly was out of luck, however I had a lovely welcoming letter from the hotel as a HH member and a free wifi code for the duration of our stay - v nice touch.
We were too early for check-in but, having planned ahead I took my son down to the spa and after leaving our bags with the concierge, enjoyed a swim. The pool area was clean and we were the only ones there so my son had a great time practicing his swimming.
Our room was on the 5th floor and had 2 large single beds, what looked like a recently refurbished bathroom and a view of the street below. It was clean with everything you'd expect - the bed did feel a bit hard but we both slept well so no complaints - I turned the air-con off as I always do in a Hilton, just before bed.
We ate in the bar area and the staff were very accomodating to my 7 yr old who was very excited about our theatre trip - our pizza was very tasty and not too pricey for the size of it.
Breakfast the next morning was very good, what you would expect from a Hilton - the lady who greeted us was very nice asking my son where he wanted us to be seated.
We checked out and had another swim in the pool before leaving - if we visit Leeds again I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room away from the lifts and that is what we got - I think to be on the front of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear roxiechick
Please be assured that all your feedback and observations have been noted and shared with the appropriate Heads of Department. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed a few times previously but first time in 2014. The location (behind central station) is ideal for a city centre visit about 10 minutes walk away. The room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was very average and I would have expected a decent choice at 8.30am but both the porridge and scrambled eggs had seen better days! Due to traffic problems I was unable to checkin until 1am, checkin was ok but as a diamond member I was given a welcome drinks voucher even though the bar was closed and then on departure at 9am I was charged £15 for parking for just 8 hours. A little common sense and flexibility would have been useful such as discounted parking for a limited stay when the complimentary drinks voucher was no use to me at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear AlanMarch
I am sorry to note your disappointment in regards to the porridge and scrambled eggs on offer to you at Breakfast. I am sure had you highlighted your concerns at the time of your stay, a member of our Breakfast team would have been delighted to obtain some fresh ones for you.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Staff at the hotel were un helpful, the customer facing areas from the car park and lower floor are disgusting (Staff areas are accessable straight from the car park) So i would never stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear carteraaron25
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Sorry to read that you feel unable to return to our hotel.