“Hilton Central”

Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
London
“Hilton Central”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Hilton as a large group to attend the Leeds festival. The hotel is very central to the City Centre where there is an array of great shops, restaurants and bars. The hotel is literally 5 minutes walk from the station and everything is nearby walking distance. On arrival though at approximately 1pm we encountered a bit of a jobs worth receptionist by the name of Ron Douglas whom was miserable and unhelpful. The artist concerned was due to be on stage by 4pm therefore it was imperative to check in, get ready and be on the way by 3pm, so we asked nicely if the room can be cleaned and prepared for early check-in. He quoted policy (3pm check-in) and was extremely unhelpful, one of the other receptionist assisted by trying to be helpful and got the room cleaned and prepared for us within the hour. It was rather annoying and frustrating that he represented Hilton in such an unhelpful manner, but it all worked out in the end and we was happy with our rooms and the remainder of our stay. The breakfast is very good with cooked meat options, cereal, fresh fruit, fresh rolls etc. Parking is £15 for the day, but you can pay an hourly rate as well. Be warned though, the underground parking is very tight.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Karen D
Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Karen D
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments online via Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to Leeds.
May I ask that you make direct contact with my PA, Janet McAteer via email: janet.mcateer@hilton.com as we do not have a member of staff under the name mentioned and this would enable us to pass on your feedback to the relevant hotel.
Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I booked This hotel under a travel agent rate via work, I often use these rates and they are excellent for travel industry workers. Before travel I e-mailed the hotel with a few requests as there were 6 of us staying across 3 rooms. The contact I dealt with was Jamie and have to say he was excellent and met all of our requests so a big Thank you! The hotel is just off the loop system and not to difficult to get into. Parking is £15 per car for 24 hours which I think is a little steep for guests but this is pretty standard for city centre hotels all over. The car park was easy to get a space in considering it was bank holiday and there is a lift that takes you straight up-to reception. The hotel reception is bright, clean and welcoming. The lady who checked is in (didn't catch her name) I have to say sadly was a little bit frosty faced, the rest of the staff however were all very pleasant and welcoming. We were given a free upgrade to twin deluxe rooms and as I had signed up to be a Hilton honors member we did get free wi-fi in the room which didn't appear to work during our stay, however I did here another guest querying this and over heard there was a tech fault. We had a room on the 8th floor, very quiet which was great never heard a peep from the other rooms and when I asked for a ice bucket the guest services guy arrived literally within 5 minutes to deliver this. The rooms are modern, spacious and come complete with complimentary toiletries. The rooms have air con and were spotless, couldn't fault them.
The hotel is about a 5 minute walk out of the city centre and the new Trinity shopping centre, we walked this during the day and got a taxi on a night due to high heels and some of leeds bars being spread out.
Overall I would recommend this hotel and will certainly return, it is in a prime location, has good rates and good service. We did not have breakfast however could have added this at check in for £10 and the facilities look lovely however we did not have enough time to take advantage of them. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Vixyc88
Thank you for taking the time to place your kind feedback online via Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Thank you for your comments, which have been noted and shared with all the team, delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and of course, the service provided by Jamie, Reservations upon making your reservations.
We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back, very soon and thank you for your valued feedback.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We booked a deluxe double (I decided to go for a deluxe over a standard as the deluxe description advised it was quite a bit larger than a standard room). The room was, in my opinion, a standard size and didn't have the dressing gowns and slippers that are advised on the website, not that that matters, I'm just wondering now if we had been put in a standard room instead of a deluxe!

Anyway, the room was clean and the bathroom was lovely. The staff were all very professional and polite.

Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice.

The pool was a little disappointing in that there was no atmosphere in there, no music and no attendant around the pool, however the chap behind the fitness suite reception was really nice and helpful.

A good, average hotel with a good location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ajwbabe

Thank you for taking the time to place your kind comments online via Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Thank you for your feedback, delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, your comments have been shared with all the team. Thank you once again.
I have noted all your observations and would like to sincerely apologise that no robes or slippers were available for you. I am sure had you highlighted your concerns at the time of your stay, one of our Housekeeping team would have been delighted to assist you and provide these for you. I am sorry, once again that they were not placed in your room, prior to your arrival.
Delighted to read that you enjoyed the Hilton Breakfast offered to you, our hotel`s location and our Livingwell team were accommodating to your needs.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

You get what you expect for the Hilton Brand. Decent rooms and breakfast. Didn't need to bring towels for the swimming pool - these were provided. Only had 2 bath towels and 1 hand towel in the room but I'm sure if I asked I could have had an extra.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Janet M, PA to the General Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Alison T
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments online via Tripadvisor, in regard to your recent visit to the Hilton Leeds City.
Thank you for your feedback, delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Bolton
Reviewed 25 August 2014

It was my birthday, and my daughter had told the hotel, when we got to our room, there was a really lovely cake, and a Happy Birthday message written in chocolate, plus a bottle of very nice wine, in an ice bucket, very thoughtful, a really lovely idea. the room was brilliant, pretty quiet too, but the best had to be the amazing breakfast, I have never such an array of fresh fruits, eggs cooked to perfection, absolutely lovely. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the facilities, so a good excuse to go back.

Room Tip: Spot on for the shops, and right next door to the railway station!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear BarbiandKevan

May I take this opportunity to wish your daughter belated birthday greetings!!
Delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and particularly enjoyed birthday cake and wine offered to you, along with our hotel`s central location, and the wide choice made available to you whilst enjoying your Hilton Breakfast.

Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This was a very nice hotel. The exterior needs updating, but the inside is well kept, clean and tidy. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The wifi is pretty poor though, and disconnected me so many times that I couldn't work in the room. However everything was good. I'd recommend staying here as it's a nice place in a good location in the city centre.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Thomas M
Delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and particularly found my team very hospitable along with our hotel`s city centre location.

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

I hate to leave a poor review.

My stay was ok. Thats all. But from Hilton I expect more than that.

I arrived, 2 escalators to reception, one not working, has to carry suitcase up other, guys in reception were not even aware.

I received an upgrade due to gold card, great, to a small room though it was ok. No biscuits, no face cloth, no bags in bins. Did I report this? No, I dont expect to have to do someones job in a 4* hotel. I dont expect that this attention to detail should have been missed. I advised reception of this when I checked out but no reaction, did she understand me? Not sure.

On the plus side, the bar staff were super. The taxi came quickly and the escalator was immediately mended.

When I booked I advised I had not been for a couple of years, I used to be a regular visitor, it would have been nice if I could have been given a better room, the hotel was nit chocca, a recognition of loyalty?

Like I said, hmmmm. I will maybe try the Doubletree next aa I am starting to return more on business. Its a shame as location is great, so close to the station

Stayed August 2014
Dear Suegibbo

Please be assured that all your feedback has been noted and shared with the relevant Heads of Department. I am sorry to read of your disappointment and for the lack of empathy shown to you upon Checkout.
Our escalators were being serviced at the time of your stay, however, we do have 2 x guest lifts available as an alternative.
We do not offer complimentary biscuits in any of our guest rooms.
Delighted to read that you enjoyed the service offered to you from our Bar team.
Please feel free to contact my PA, Janet McAteer directly via email: janet.mcateer@hilton.com with details of your forthcoming return visit and we will be delighted to ensure that you experience the stay that you quite rightly expect of the Hilton.