“Comfortable, but noisy public areas”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Ranked #37 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 14 July 2009

The Leeds City Hilton is a standard city centre hotel, probably about thirty years old. The room we occupied was on the eighth floor, facing the back of the railway station, but provided both internal and external windows are shut the noise from the station does not intrude. The room itself had been refurbished recently and was comfortable and clean, although on the small side, ditto the bathroom (the bath was three-quarter size). Reception and public rooms are on the third floor, and accessed via either the lifts or an escalator. The latter gives direct access on to the area next to the bar/restaurant, and overall noise, creaks and groans from it make for a less than relaxing experience. Staff were courteous, and the breakfast was good with an excellent range, although slightly marred by lukewarm tea and coffee. Overall, respectable value for money if you pay under UKL90 for room and breakfast

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, especially the room allocated to you on our 8th floor, breakfast and the service offered to you, during your stay with us.
Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Reviewed 30 June 2009

Hopes weren't particularly high, but then the Hilton isn't what it used to be. On checking in, the room was cramped and apart from the tv, heavily outdated. The bathroom was dirty, with serious grouting issues. The windows were cumbersome, but that was ok, because there was a new air conditioning system, right?

I've never had the misfortune to endure such a shocking system. At 2am, comfortably asleep, on it came, at a level that would put terminal 5 to shame. This wouldn't have been a huge problem, but then the system doesn't have an "off" switch. Whoever commissioned such a disaster should really reconsider their position! I called reception after about half an hour, expecting instructions but no - there really is no off switch! It was obviously a recurring issue, and was offered the help of a handyman at 3.00 to take the fuse out. I declined, thinking eventually it'd go off. After 4am, it had. The joy was immeasurable, yet fraught with danger. Would it come back on when I least expected it? I was safe.

I woke up late, and what could only be described as a carnival of dirty bedsheets welcomed me on my way out for the afternoon. I'd never stumbled so much - it was like an assault course, but it at least awakened my sense of danger.

The next night, well, where do I start. A gentle swoosh was just the beginning, and then, wind tunnel entrapment ensued once again. I called down to reception - had a busy meeting the next morning, but no answer. I was prepared to face Mr Handyman and his trusty screwdriver if it meant meaningful slumber, but 6 calls later and still no answer. Further calls led to nothing, but it's ok, because the godforsaken system finally went off at 5.13am. Hallelujah, I thought. Only, I missed my meeting, so on checkout, made a complaint. I was assured I'd be contacted without delay, but of course, in the special world of the Leeds Hilton, this wasn't to be.

I'm not a particularly light sleeper, so you have been warned.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2009

Dear Guest

My apologies that you were dissatisfied with the size of the bedroom that you were allocated.

I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping and Maintenance teams, to ensure that your comments are shared with all team members. There can be no excuse for the shortfall in housekeeping standards that you experienced upon your arrival.

Your other additional comments have been noted and passed to the relevant Heads of Department who will address the issues you have raised and take the appropriate corrective action.

Reviewed 10 June 2009

Stayed for a Saturday night in Leeds. Knew the hotel was near the train station but it was not easy to find. You have to walk under the train line to get to it. Not a beautiful walk.
Booked a deluxe twin room. Bedroom was smaller and the bathroom was one of the smallest I've ever been given. Bad enough for a standard room but expected something better with a deluxe.
I did find 3 pieces of complimentary fruit in my room and two bottles of water.
Perhaps that is deluxe for Leeds.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. Thank you for your comments regarding directions to our hotel from the train station. We will always take guests comments on board and try to improve our services.

Please be assured that I have noted your comments in regard to your room which was allocated to you, during your stay.

Reviewed 8 June 2009

Stayed here for one night as we were attending a function at Elland Road. The cost of the room was not much more than the return taxi fare to our home just outside Leeds, booked as a 'top secret hotel' via lastminute.com.
The hotel is well located for the railway station and city centre plus benefits from it's own multi storey car park. Note the down ramps in the car park are fairly narrow, they have rubber corner strips fitted to the columns, no doubt due to the number of cars that struggle to make it through.
Our 7th floor room was clean and attractive although the flickering light bulb we reported after checking in was not attended to while we were there. The pool is small and unsuitably shaped for those of us who like to 'do a few lengths' rather than splash about. However, they also have a gym, steam room and sauna, which at the rate we paid were not available at any comparably priced hotel.
Sunday morning breakfast was busy but efficiently run, with no shortage of choices and everything nicely cooked and presented in an attractive restaurant.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping, Restaurant and Maintenance teams.

I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel location and the benefits of our multi-storey car park. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Reviewed 19 May 2009

i stayed here for business once as the bewleys along the road was booked full. the hotel is a nigthmare to get parked and the rooms a little stuffy. internet was a total rip off so did not other gettin it and went along the road to get it elsewhere. would i stay again? not if i could get in elsewhere. room was clean tho.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping team.

Please be assured that I have passed on your comments in regard to our internet facility offering, to our high speed internet access representative, who provide this service to our hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2009

The hotel has a great location in the centre of Leeds which meant we didn't need to get taxi's anywhere. The room itself was ok but when we arrived there were no towels in the room but this was quickly rectified. The hotel's pool was a funny shape and was really busy. Breakfast was excellent. If I was stay again in Leeds I would pick the Crowne Plaza as the rooms are much nicer and has better facilities.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping and Restaurant teams.

I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel location. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Reviewed 29 March 2009

I won this break from Saga Zone for being an all round 'good egg' Like the previous reviewer, I wondered what we had let ourselves in for. We embarked on this trip with a little trepidation,after reading some of the reviews on here.All I can say is they must have stayed somewhere different to the hotel did. The staff were superb being really helpful and cheerful.The rooms although not luxurious were clean and good value. Bre. akfast too was good,as much as you wanted from a self service bar.

The only complaints I have is the traffic and one way systems in Leeds it's self.Take my word for it.Horrendous. So if you can I suggest you visit by train.

Internet access @ £15
Car parking @ £14 a night

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments on this website.