“Central hotel - not the best Hilton but definitely not the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Leeds City

Ranked #33 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
N Ireland
“Central hotel - not the best Hilton but definitely not the worst”
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We atayed for 2 nights at this city centre hotel. We got an excellent rate on the Hilton 2 for 1 offer. As Diamond members we were upgraded to a delux room, which was modern and spaciou. Reception staff at check in were efficient but not overly welcoming.

Other Trip Advisor reviews have commented on a wait for a table at breakfast, although this was a weekend, we had not wait. Breakfast was good.

The one member of staff that shome during our stay was Ronnie, the concierge. He was extremely professional and most helpful whether it be with car parking, luggage or giving very good tips for nearby restaurants. An exemplary Hilton employee.

Overall, the hotel was fairly good and we would stay there again if we got a good deal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 23 October 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am glad that you enjoyed your complimentary room upgrade and breakfast in our City 3 Restaurant, offered to you during your stay with us. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your kind comments in regard to Ronnie, I have taken the liberty of conveying your appreciation to Ronnie.

It is a pleasure to receive such feedback and I have passed on your kind comments to all of my staff as they serve as a great motivator.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for taking the time and trouble to contact me. Your loyalty is much appreciated. We should never forget our loyal guests and what you do for us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Leeds City.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Warrington
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Stayed here for 1 night for a city break. Location is great, walking distance to the centre of Leeds. Parking on-site which is a bonus for a city centre (though not that cheap at 14GBP for 24 hours).

The room was great, we were upgraded to a suite which was more than enough to provide a comfortable stay.

We checked out the pool area though and this was the only source of disappointment. The sauna and steam room are tiny. The steam room had no steam in it which rather defeated the purpose. The jacuzzi is just part of the main pool, so despite having the bubbles, it was freezing cold! Also the general pool area wasn't particularly clean.

Breakfast time was very very busy and we had to wait for a table, but were seated within about 10 minutes. The breakfast itself was very good.

The bar isn't cheap at 8 quid for a large glass of wine (admittedly very good wine though!) and 4 quid for a bottle of beer.

All in all, it's a reasonable hotel for a single night city break. It's not quite the luxury you may expect from a Hilton but I've stayed in plenty of worse places!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.

I am glad that you enjoyed your complimentary room upgrade, Breakfast and the location of our hotel. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with our Swimming Pool and Sauna located in our Livingwell Health Club, which was not to your preference.

Preston, England
Reviewed 14 July 2009

The Leeds City Hilton is a standard city centre hotel, probably about thirty years old. The room we occupied was on the eighth floor, facing the back of the railway station, but provided both internal and external windows are shut the noise from the station does not intrude. The room itself had been refurbished recently and was comfortable and clean, although on the small side, ditto the bathroom (the bath was three-quarter size). Reception and public rooms are on the third floor, and accessed via either the lifts or an escalator. The latter gives direct access on to the area next to the bar/restaurant, and overall noise, creaks and groans from it make for a less than relaxing experience. Staff were courteous, and the breakfast was good with an excellent range, although slightly marred by lukewarm tea and coffee. Overall, respectable value for money if you pay under UKL90 for room and breakfast

Dear Guest

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, especially the room allocated to you on our 8th floor, breakfast and the service offered to you, during your stay with us.
Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Hopes weren't particularly high, but then the Hilton isn't what it used to be. On checking in, the room was cramped and apart from the tv, heavily outdated. The bathroom was dirty, with serious grouting issues. The windows were cumbersome, but that was ok, because there was a new air conditioning system, right?

I've never had the misfortune to endure such a shocking system. At 2am, comfortably asleep, on it came, at a level that would put terminal 5 to shame. This wouldn't have been a huge problem, but then the system doesn't have an "off" switch. Whoever commissioned such a disaster should really reconsider their position! I called reception after about half an hour, expecting instructions but no - there really is no off switch! It was obviously a recurring issue, and was offered the help of a handyman at 3.00 to take the fuse out. I declined, thinking eventually it'd go off. After 4am, it had. The joy was immeasurable, yet fraught with danger. Would it come back on when I least expected it? I was safe.

I woke up late, and what could only be described as a carnival of dirty bedsheets welcomed me on my way out for the afternoon. I'd never stumbled so much - it was like an assault course, but it at least awakened my sense of danger.

The next night, well, where do I start. A gentle swoosh was just the beginning, and then, wind tunnel entrapment ensued once again. I called down to reception - had a busy meeting the next morning, but no answer. I was prepared to face Mr Handyman and his trusty screwdriver if it meant meaningful slumber, but 6 calls later and still no answer. Further calls led to nothing, but it's ok, because the godforsaken system finally went off at 5.13am. Hallelujah, I thought. Only, I missed my meeting, so on checkout, made a complaint. I was assured I'd be contacted without delay, but of course, in the special world of the Leeds Hilton, this wasn't to be.

I'm not a particularly light sleeper, so you have been warned.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 19 November 2009
Dear Guest

My apologies that you were dissatisfied with the size of the bedroom that you were allocated.

I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping and Maintenance teams, to ensure that your comments are shared with all team members. There can be no excuse for the shortfall in housekeeping standards that you experienced upon your arrival.

Your other additional comments have been noted and passed to the relevant Heads of Department who will address the issues you have raised and take the appropriate corrective action.

Hilton Leeds City

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

London
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Stayed for a Saturday night in Leeds. Knew the hotel was near the train station but it was not easy to find. You have to walk under the train line to get to it. Not a beautiful walk.
Booked a deluxe twin room. Bedroom was smaller and the bathroom was one of the smallest I've ever been given. Bad enough for a standard room but expected something better with a deluxe.
I did find 3 pieces of complimentary fruit in my room and two bottles of water.
Perhaps that is deluxe for Leeds.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. Thank you for your comments regarding directions to our hotel from the train station. We will always take guests comments on board and try to improve our services.

Please be assured that I have noted your comments in regard to your room which was allocated to you, during your stay.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Stayed here for one night as we were attending a function at Elland Road. The cost of the room was not much more than the return taxi fare to our home just outside Leeds, booked as a 'top secret hotel' via lastminute.com.
The hotel is well located for the railway station and city centre plus benefits from it's own multi storey car park. Note the down ramps in the car park are fairly narrow, they have rubber corner strips fitted to the columns, no doubt due to the number of cars that struggle to make it through.
Our 7th floor room was clean and attractive although the flickering light bulb we reported after checking in was not attended to while we were there. The pool is small and unsuitably shaped for those of us who like to 'do a few lengths' rather than splash about. However, they also have a gym, steam room and sauna, which at the rate we paid were not available at any comparably priced hotel.
Sunday morning breakfast was busy but efficiently run, with no shortage of choices and everything nicely cooked and presented in an attractive restaurant.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 8 December 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping, Restaurant and Maintenance teams.

I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel location and the benefits of our multi-storey car park. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2009

i stayed here for business once as the bewleys along the road was booked full. the hotel is a nigthmare to get parked and the rooms a little stuffy. internet was a total rip off so did not other gettin it and went along the road to get it elsewhere. would i stay again? not if i could get in elsewhere. room was clean tho.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping team.

Please be assured that I have passed on your comments in regard to our internet facility offering, to our high speed internet access representative, who provide this service to our hotel.