“Slightly let down”

Ranked #35 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Oxfordshire
“Slightly let down”
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Stayed in the Hilton for 2 nights on business. Hilton hotels are usually my first choice for business hence chosing to stay in this one whilst in Leeds.

My room smelt very stale (almost smokey) although it was clearly a non-smoking room. The air conditioning was very noisy and not actually effective. Couldnt open the window though due to the road noise from below.

The internet connection in my room also didnt work. Reported it to reception and was offered either free wireless access in the reception area or to move to another room. I chose to move.

The second room also smelt stale and smokey.

Staff at the restaurant and bar were however very attentive and accomodating.

The car park atthis hotel is incredibly tight with the down ramps at very strange angles, anyone with a wider larger car should beware!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank PrincessKittyKins
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 15 October 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website. Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to you.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Housekeeping and Reception teams.

I am glad that you enjoyed our City 3 Restaurant and Bar areas. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Cumbria
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed here Saturday & Sunday night on the 2 for 1 special offer so we only paid £44 per night bed & breakfast for a double room. An absolute bargain.

Very, very noisy guests on Saturday night until 5 am. Sunday was the opposite. Apparently they get a lot of hen parties etc. Wouldn't put us off going again though. The location is perfect, everything is a short walk away & we had requested a quiet room so were on a high floor & had no traffic noise.

The room was adequate but not spacious, typical Hilton in a city. Spotless throughout & very comfortable bed. Seemed as if it had been recently refurbished. Breakfast buffet very good with plenty of choice.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your comments to the departments involved, especially my Reception, Executive Head Chef and City 3 Restaurant teams.

I am glad that you enjoyed our 2 for 1 Accommodation Offer and your Breakfast buffet. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Melbourne
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Many hotels provide free wireless internet - not the Hilton. It is time the Hilton moved into the 21st century. The room, the restaurant, the food and service were Hilton quality -good.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Please be assured that I have passed on your comments in regard to our internet facility offering, to our high speed internet access representative, who provide this service to our hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room, our City 3 Restaurant and the food and service offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

north east Hampshire
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We were greeted with wonderful northern hospitality. The hotel car park (you have to pay for this) is far too small - the turns are so tight it is quite possible that you will scrape your car. If it is full, because there is a health centre used by the public on site, we could not find out what happened about your pre paid parking ticket. The room had a king size bed and a sofa bed - fine for us and our single teenager, but it would have been tricky if we had brought the other one as well. The bathroom has a short bath but a very efficient shower. The restaurant (take advantage of the 3 courses for the price of a single course voucher available from reception) was fine. Breakfast was excellent. From the hotel to the railway station was less than 2 minutes walk - the centre of town and Harvey Nicholls was about 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 16 October 2009
Dear Guest

I am glad that you enjoyed our City 3 Restaurant and breakfast offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Bristol
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Stayed on two nights for price of one rate so on this basis good value. Reception/bar/restaurant areas on third floor were attractive and clean and booking in efficient.
Booked a double deluxe room which was fairly small and subsequently told by member of staff that the only larger rooms are suites whereas deluxe rooms are same size as standard but have been refurbished. (Room was well furnished but carpet and bedspread dirty). As with previous reviewers found staff very friendly and helpful but hotel somewhat disorganised e.g. room only set up for one person.
Ended up eating in the restaurant both nights (you can pre pay at reception for set menu to get a discount) rather than eating out in one of several nearby restaurants. Food good but service varied from good to poor on second night when there was a banquet elsewhere in hotel. Received complimentary bottle of wine on first night as part of the deal otherwise you have to pay normal Hilton exorbitant wine prices. Breakfast was satisfactory and choice reasonable but less than have experienced in other Hiltons.
Car parking is expensive and manouvering up ramps could be a problem with a large car so would be worth exploring other nearby carparks.

Dear Guest

Please be assured that I have passed on your comments in regard to the room allocated to you during your stay with us, to my Executive Head Housekeeper to ensure that the necessary corrective action is taken.

I am glad that you enjoyed our City 3 Restaurant and the food and service offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

County Durham
Reviewed 18 August 2009

On reading some of the previous bad reviews on the hotel, i was a bit worried about staying here. On arrival we were very pleasantly surprised! Hotel reception was very clean and the reception staff were lovely. We had a room on the 10th floor which was lovely! The gym and swimming pool were great and couldnt believe they were part of the price we paid! Opt for the breakfast as this was probably one of the best breakfasts we've ever had!

The only things were the hotel could do with a slight renovation and the car parking is very pricey!

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and was even better as we got a great deal on lastminute.com for bed and breakfast for £62!!!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our hotel Reception and team. I am glad that you enjoyed your room, the Livingwell Health Club along with the swimming pool and your breakfast offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Glasgow
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Despite a booking mix up, the only way we found they would change a room with two single beds for any of a number of available double rooms unless we paid 20 pounds extra. Seems like the "deluxe" room was the same room as before, but with a breakfast we did not want.

Boring, small, corporate room. Too warm and stuffy. Damp smell in bathroom, alternating with a backed up smell of chlorine.

Beware of deals that end up not worth it! We certainly won't be back. Star ratings for services many of us never need often hide a rather plain and characterless experience.

Hilton Leeds City

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels