“Great Location...poor spa facilities...mediocre staff”
Review of Hilton Leeds City

Ranked #37 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Great Location...poor spa facilities...mediocre staff”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I stayed at the Hilton with some friends (7) for a hen night on 13/02/10.
Spa Facilities...
We met up mid afternoon to take advantage of the 'spa facilities' and were seriously disappointed. The sauna and steam 'room' only accommodate 4 people at a time and are very claustraphobic. The pool is very small and gets busy if there are more than 6-7 people. The ladies changing facilities were tiny and it didn't take many people to make it feel very crowded. There are treatment facilities, but I would recommend that if you want to undergo any treatments, you should book in advance - they get booked up very quicky!
Hotel Room...
After the staff made us wait 30 minutes for our 'key cards', we eventually got to our twin rooms, which were clean and comfortable - nothing particularly fancy. Despite being right next to the train station (a huge plus), there was no train/station noise - helped by the double - double glazed windows - air conditioning available in all rooms. Rooms are inter-connected which was great as there were a group of us. The rooms have radios which have a good range and link up to MP3 players.
The Hotel...
The Hilton is brilliantly located, a two minute walk from Leeds train station - no need for a taxi transfer. There is a carpark (which I didn't use, but other members of the party did) but it's a bit pricey - £14.00 for 24 hours - which is a bit cheeky as we'd paid £90 for the room. I found it a bit strange that the reception was on the third floor, but the main entrance was on the ground floor - it felt a little disjointed and not particularly welcoming. On returning to the hotel in the wee small hours, a man with a clip board stopped us and just asked us our room number. He wasn't particularly friendly or even prepared to make small talk when we spoke to him...a 'Good Evening/morning Ladies - had a nice night?' would have been sufficient. Breakfast was a little on the expensive side £10 for buffet style breakfast - we'd opted out and went to the little coffee shop across the road where we got a great bacon and sausage sandwich for £2.50- Bargin!

Overall impressions are OK - great location, especially if you're just looking for a bed and a decent sleep.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 17 February 2010

Thank you for your comments on this website.

Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your room, offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Hilton Leeds City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
saltburn-by-the-sea, England
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Came for a girly relaxing weekend, nice room great price £75 nightly including the most wonderful breakfast - everything from smoked salmon, continental meats, various fruits, cereals, porridge and a well cooked "full english" - probably the best Ive had! The staff were amazing from the concierges, receptionists and particularly the young man and woman in the restaurant on Saturday night (a special pat on the back for them) Evening meal deal was great too - 3 courses for £19.95 and good selection (easily as good as the old Post Office (retaurant bar and grill) which incidentally I thought was overrated! Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 3 February 2010

Thank you for your comments on this website.

Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your room, your breakfast and evening meal offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

county durham
Reviewed 13 January 2010

stayed at hotel with 2 young children must say hotel room was fantastic had delux room with seperate room for kids to sleep. used swimming pool and had evening meal the 5 year old was very tired and did not want to waight for her ice cream the waitress arranged for it to be brought up to the room so she could eat it in bed the following morning they made a right fuss of the kids when we had breakfast could not fault anything about stay or food at this hotel well done for excellant customer serive.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 20 January 2010

Thank you for your comments on this website.

Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your room, along with the swimming pool, your evening meal and breakfast offered to you during your stay. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Leeds
Reviewed 13 January 2010

I stayed at the hotel for one night in December 2009. I booked on lastminute.com, got a double room for £50.

The room was in great condition, clean and modern and the bed was comfortable. No problems at all. The room was a little small but that's what city center hotels are like generally!

2mins walk from the station and town center.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlie1111Leeds

Thank you for your comments on this website.

Please be assured that I have noted your comments in regard to the room that was allocated to you. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Suffolk UK
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I stayed for one night recently at this Hilton whilst visiting my daughter at Leeds Uni.
I booked very last minute via a web agent and got a superb price for B+B.
My room was on an upper floor,was large, clean and comfotable and had all usual Hilton amenities. It was also quiet and that suited me.
The staff from check in to check out were great and always helpful. Breakfast had a huge choice and again service was excellent +a free paper.
I often stay at city centre hotels and always look for the best rate via the web. When returning to Leeds I will look for this Hilton first.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments on this website.

Please be assured that I have noted your comments in regard to the room which was allocated to you, our Reception team and of course, the breakfast which you enjoyed. I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team, thank you.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a night before an early morning hospital appointment. We had booked an accessible room through an agent because my husband has had recent spinal surgery and needs an accessible shower. The agent hadn't passed this information onto the hotel but they reacted very quickly and put us in an accessible suite, which had everything to enable my husband to cope well. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much effort.

One point worth mentioning to others in a similar situation is that attention to detail with disabled customers is excellent. We were offered help in a very thoughtful way by all staff we came across. And I would be confident to stay there again in that I feel if we did have a problem they would be there to help. My husband accidentally touched the alarm in the bathroom and almost immediately the manager was at the door to check we were okay. The alarm was very sensitive so we made sure we didn't touch it again, but for anyone in need it is reassuring to know that everything appears to work.

We ate in the restaurant and again the service was excellent as was the food and our choice of wine. The prices were comparable with other hotels and restaurants in the area. You can eat cheaper if you wander around town but for the quality and choice of food and the service we were very happy.

Breakfast was fine with everything we needed and again the staff in the restaurant and on reception were excellent and so helpful.

Some people have said the rooms are a little tired and I suppose compared to many of the newer hotels they may be. However the suite was exceptionally clean, with a good supply of toiletries, teas, coffees, water and other little touches that made us feel so welcome. We were extremely comfortable and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonLeedsCity, Hotel Manager at Hilton Leeds City, responded to this review, 10 December 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your kind comments to the departments involved, especially my Reception and Restaurant teams.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room that was allocated to you. Please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to all of my team.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Although the location is perfect, and the price is unbeatable - I can't believe how poor the condition of the room was for being a Hilton. The staff was gracious and courteous - and the dining room was very good but they really need to spend a little money upstairs before this Hilton Honors Diamond member returns.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments on this website.
I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I have passed on your kind comments to the departments involved, especially my Restaurant team.