“great value”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 4 November 2013

have stayed here several times on business usually only one night at a time. Always friendly, always clean and breakfast is good - great value for generally quite good rates. God location city center near the train station

Room Tip: refuse the free glass of wine, well intentioned but it is paint stripper
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,523)

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed one night on business. Have stayed here before and had decent experiences. This time I was welcomed politely at reception, however room wasn't ready so they looked after my bags while I popped out. Upon return, I was allocated a room in an un-refurbished part of the hotel which was at the rear. The room was clean but cramped - too much furniture - couldn't open wardrobe with moing easy chairs and table. The room was a bit tired - bathroom grout and paint a bit sad and fittings bit dated, even wall mounted haridryer out of order. Obviously the newer re-furbished rooms are of a higher standard and more modern in keeping with the decor of the public areas. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant after reading reviews here, however had breakfast. For a hotel it really wasn't up to the standard of say a Holiday Inn for which the room rate was comparable, more in keeping with a Holiday Inn Express/ Lodge type breakfast bar.
On the whole not bad for centre of Leeds - location excellent for nice bars and restaurants - Q-Parkl only short walk away as well.
Staff very polite and well trained - just that Peel plc need to get on with the refurb of rooms and perhaps the exec chef just up the standard of breakfast fayre.
Not problems in recommending for business traveller on the circa £85 budget.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Went here with work and selected due to the reasonable price, location and reviews on here. Arrived and reception were good, very quick. Arrived in the room and felt it was ok, fairly dated with ceiling fan and some interesting wooden panelling on the decor but not too bad.

The bits that really disappointed me;

- The noise from outside kept me up for a long time for both nights that I was there, I could hear the man on the microphone in the club outside and changes in music etc. Windows and inner windows were all closed and no joy with keeping the noise out. The king sized bed was also 2 single mattresses pushed together.

- Cold shower - I followed the instructions to ensure a warm shower on day one and gave it the benefit of the doubt thinking that they may have been out of hot water only to find that this was not the case. Cold on both days. So after rubbish nights sleep and 2 cold showers I was not particularly impressed.

The plus side; Location for getting around Leeds on foot; the staff all seemed quite friendly and attentive at breakfast; breakfast was ok, standard buffet, nothing amazing or great but enough to keep you going.

I would not stay here again or recommend to others.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 224
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Will C
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry that your stay with us was not an enjoyable one.

The hotel has just had installed two new hot water boilers and I am very sorry that you experienced problems during your stay with hot water before these were fitted. The new boilers have ensured that the supply of hot water is plentiful and that we will not experience issues of this nature again. The Maintenance engineer will inspect the shower valve as this can cause the issues that you have identified also.

The king size bedrooms have purpose built beds that are designed to be multi-purpose and can be used to make a double or twin room. Once joined, to be utilised as a double bed, the mattress is seamless and it is not two beds pushed together as you implied. This type of bed are utilised throughout the Hotel industry and although there are two bases these are joined in such a manner that comfort is not compromised.

The Hotel boasts a City Centre location and as such outside noise, on occasions, can cause disturbance. I am sorry that this was your experience and had we been aware we would have happily re-located you to an alternative part of the Hotel. On midweek nights no bars or clubs are typically open and we had no similar complaints from rooms in the same area. I will ask my night staff to monitor this and report any noise to the local EHO. Outside noise is out of the hotels control and we report this to EHO, they are responsible for ensuring that no local businesses emit noise at levels likely to cause disturbance and I apologise that this was your experience.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and attentive. I am disappointed that you did not address your concerns at the time of your stay with us or contact the Hotel directly to make us aware of your dissatisfaction.

I do hope that you would re-consider staying with us and give the Hotel the opportunity to address your concerns so we may show you that customer care is very important to us and guests comfort is paramount.

Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, with lovely staff. My sister and I stayed here for a weekend in Leeds...and couldn't have asked for a better location. Close to station, shops, bars and restaurants! Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends in the future.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

A small group of friends and I ventured down to lower briggate for a meal on Friday night and decided to try out the cosmopolitan, what a fantastic decision it was too! Alex welcomed our small party at the door and took care of us all night with fantastic and friendly service. The food was beautiful too, I had the Welsh rarebit with the mushroom pasta and it was perfectly cooked with delicate taste and looked wonderful. We even had chance to meet the chefs as it's an open kitchen and we thanked them for a lovely dinner. I believe they're names were James and kade. We shall definitely be walking down to the cosmopolitan again sometime soon for a lovely meal and experience! Thankyou.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Went on Friday for a 2 night stay, myself and another friend! We got to the hotel really please looks very modern from outside and lobby/bar and restaurant is beautiful! Rooms are a little dated when you go upstairs it doesn't really seem like the same hotel but we had a fab stay the bed was sooooooo comfy! Amazing! The rooms were spotless, bathroom was gleaming view wasn't a problem for us (not bothered) but it was the side of a hotel... Room is cleaned every day complimentary shower gels, soaps, tea, coffee in the rooms and each room has a tv and digi box which was great! When we checked in you are given the option of a smoking or non smoking which is good also, saves the smokers having to leave the hotel each time for a ciggerette, rooms was kind of cold but not always, staff were so friendly and helpful, desk open 24 which is a plus, great central location trinity leeds shopping centre is just a stone throw away, loads of bars and restaurants beside hotel! Can't fault the hotel at all will definitely be back to stay!! :)

• Stayed: September 2013
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your excellent review following your recent stay with us.

As you will be aware we are now in the middle of a bedroom refurbishment updating our facilities. I was delighted to read that you found the room spotless, the bed very comfy and that you appreciated the bedroom and bathroom complimentary products.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon and please contact the hotel direct to make a reservation to receive the best available rate. We will of course allocate you the same room that you enjoyed on your previous visit.

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great location in terms of being near the centre - a short walk to shops and restaurants etc. The room was very spacious and was clean enough but the decor was past its best and could do with a revamp. The reception area is very modern but as soon as you go upstairs it reverts to more old fashioned style. Bed was comfy though.
A glass of wine on arrival was a nice touch and the reception staff were friendly.
Main issue was my room was directly opposite a loud karaoke bar which meant it took me a long time to get to sleep!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your review.

As you may be aware we are currently in the process of a bedroom refurbishment to modernise our current facilities following an extensive public area refurbishment. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your welcome drink and the staff were friendly.

I am sorry that external noise caused your sleep to be disturbed which can be a problem with our City Centre location although we always report noise issues to the local council. Please contact the Hotel directly on your next visit to Leeds and we can offer you the best available rate and a room in our inner courtyard.