“Mixed Review weekend in Leeds”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #24 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I recently stayed for a weekend.

We arrived around 6pm and unloaded our bags in the room and went for dinner. I can not fault the food, the taste and presentation are excellent. The waitress however was a little sour faced and not once smiled. I was a little disappointed with her tattoos on show. May be it's my age.

The young gentleman manager in the restaurant was very proffesional, I would love to give him 5 stars, however my review is for the whole experience.

Our initial room was a king room. The bed was comfortable and the room was tidy. The bathroom was quite dated and a little grubby in the corners. When we went up to our room, after our food it was so noisy. We were at the front of the hotel. I walked to reception who were apologetic but the only other rooms available where smoking rooms. After a chat with the manager we were promised a quiet room for the second night. The first nights sleep was therefore was very broken. Also the room seemed so hot it was rather uncomfortable.

The second night was spent in a quiet room. This room was much more suited although the state of the bathroom and the black curly hairs in the bath and on the shower curtain was a bit eugh. We had a much better sleep, as the room was located in a quiet part of the hotel we could have the window open, which was a God send,as I think The hotel runs at about 35degrees.

On the Sunday we choose to have the breakfast, which again we could not fault. The food was delicious and there was certainly enough of it.

When we came to check out the two young receptionists were deep in conversation about another member of staff. This I found rather unprofessional and unkind.

The hotel is convinetly placed at the bottom of the town centre. Easy walking distance to shops and restaurants.

There is no parking with the hotel, however the hotel has a deal with the Q- car park. DO not use this one. It's still much more expensive than the little car park next to the Q-park. Which cost us £16 for Friday evening until Sunday lunch time.

So if the stars are for the restaurant food I would give 5 for the hotel I would give 2. Which is why my overall is 3.

Smily staff and a good clean would help this hotel go a long way.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

I am pleased that overall that your stay was an enjoyable one but it is always disappointing that some elements of your stay were not to our usual standard.

Unfortunately due to our location we are not the quietest of destinations and the room you were allocated is facing the main road. I am glad that we were able to offer a room move for the second night of your stay. I am delighted that you found the cuisine to be 5 out of 5 and I am sorry that a few members of staff did not offer the level of service we have a reputation of delivering and has led to a lower rating overall.

The heating system is automatically set to 21c and some rooms have become hot in the mild weather. The heating has now been adjusted to make the hotel a more comfortable temperature.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us once again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here on a saturday night it really is noisey but you are on a busy road and across road from pubs so what can you expect really,staff were very helpful and polite ,its a little warm on a night but that suits me as am a cold person i would stay again as its ideal for train st and getting around, if you want peace and quiet dont book cos youll only moan

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for review and I am pleased that your stay was enjoyable and the staff helpful.

We have a fantastic location in the heart of Leeds but due to this, with Leeds being a popular evening out it can be rather lively at night. We try and minimise noise but for those expecting a quiet weekend away we are perhaps not an ideal venue due to our location.

I am delighted that we were ideal for your stay and look forward to you staying with us once again.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel was very clean and the service was perfectly acceptable. However, we walked into our room and were hit by a wall of heat so powerful it was like walking into a sauna. When I tried to turn down the radiator, the dial fell off. On examination, it was not even the correct one for the radiator and had clearly been put there for show. I rang for help and someone arrived, not carrying pliers to turn down the radiator, but with a fan...... clearly they KNEW that there was no way they would be able to fix the problem. He initially argued that it was the right dial, so I demonstrated to him that it was not and he was forced to agree. I asked him if he could find a dial from another radiator - he went out and came back with "one from the corridor" which did not work.... when I looked, it was not even the same type of radiator, so of course it wouldn't work. He told me that the radiator would go off "shortly". 5 hours later (at 4am, when I still had not got to sleep because of the heat) it was still burning hot. We had been offered another room "on the other side of the hotel, but it is REALLY noisy".

In the morning, after about one hour's sleep total, I had a shower.... a tepid shower... which was particularly unpleasant. Fortunately the room was soooooo hot, I soon was over-heating again.

I HATE moaning but this was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel.

I will never go back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joan843

I am very sorry that you found your room to be far too hot and uncomfortable and that the alternative room offered was not to your liking due to its location.

The current mild weather has meant that a few bedrooms have become rather hot and we have now adjusted the heating system accordingly. I am very sorry that the valve in the room was broken and that my Duty Manager was unable to rectify the problem.

My Maintenance Manager has repaired the fault on the pipe and he is in the process of checking all bedroom central heating pipes. Unfortunately the Duty Mangers skills, as I am sure you would appreciate are rather limited when it comes to plumbing. All bedrooms have ceiling fans and he brought additional cooling, not as this was a known problem but trying to address the problem. We have 89 bedrooms and faults can occur at anytime but we never knowingly let a room that has any fault whatsoever.

I am disappointed that you would not return as we would appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel. Should you wish to stay once again please contact the hotel directly and we will do our utmost to ensure you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked thru last minute the hotel is rated 4 star .. I wud not even given it 2 stars .
The room is to cramped
The heating is on 24,7 n crnt adjust it .
My partner woke up wid a nose bleed it was that hot. The ironing board doesn't stand .. The iron doesn't work .
Beds are uncomfortable.
We booked ourselves in for 3 nights which is one of the worst things iv ever done.also ther is no parking we have had to park the car in headingley n got a taxi to the hotel ..if u wanted to park they recommend a car park which will cost u 33 pound plus for the total of 3 nights .food is really expensive .. Hairdryer is worthless its like sumthin from 1940.I've also read reaveiws to say staff are very polite which is not true .. Not helpful atal !!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank elomari
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

I was sorry to read your review and that your stay was not an enjoyable one.

I understand you checked in on Sunday evening and at 4pm Monday made the hotel aware that you wished to leave as the room was hot. This was not mentioned at any other point of your stay and the hotel offered you the option to move to a newly refurbished king size room immediately, sadly you decided you did not wish to view the alternative room.

All our bedrooms are heated by central pipes and they are fully controllable in the room. The heating within the building is on a thermostat and is only on when the temperature drops to certain levels. I found no problems with either the iron or ironing board and the bed was actually replaced only two weeks ago. I am sorry it was not to your expectations, and disappointed this was not mentioned when the Reservations Manager came down with alternative rooms to view.

Unfortunately no Hotel in Leeds city centre has on site car parking but we do offer one of the best discounted rates with a reputable car park operator. We would certainly not recommend parking in an area some 5 miles from the centre although I understand that this is free parking. I am sorry that you found our menu expensive especially as our main course dishes start at £4.95 up to £19.95 and we do try to accommodate all tastes and budgets.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

For those wanting easy access to the train station, night life, the city centre and Leeds attractions the Cosmopolitan is ideally situated as everything is within walking distance. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful, particularly at the reception area and the rooms are very comfortable with plenty of amenities, they're also extremely quiet so don't be worried about the noise from the surrounding bars.
The hotel offers an excellent cooked breakfast as well as a selection of cereals and fruits if you'd prefer the continental option, I'd recommend the Eggs Benedict if you aren't in the mood for a Full English.
The only issue I felt that there was are that parts of the hotel look slightly dated, particularly the hallways leading the the rooms, the keys that they supply you with aren't the most convenient either, hanging from massive perspex key rings so you definitely know you have it on you when you go out.
The diligence in clearing the hallway of our room service tray was also lacking, having placed a dirty tray outside our door at about 4pm it was still they until at least 11am the next morning when we left the hotel to explore Leeds.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MattSunderland

Thank you for your review and I am delighted we met your needs so well and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Although we have an excellent city centre location I am pleased that you found the room to be quiet and that it was of a good standard and the staff helpful . I will speak to the restaurant team and night staff as corridors should be checked regularly by both departments to prevent trays being left throughout the night. We are currently looking at new locks which will replace the traditional key we have currently.

I hope you return soon and once again enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Prior to Christmas we had a meal at this hotel, which was not very satisfactory. We recently went back for a meal in the restaurant, and after this meal, I cannot recommend the restaurant highly enough. The quality of the food served was more than exceptional. From the starter to the desert the food was heavenly and I am totally unable to criticise any one bite. The service from the staff were absolutely marvellous and of a very superior standard. They were extremely attentive and made a fantastic evening an incredible experience and I would like to say a huge thank you to the Chefs, all the kitchen staff, the restaurant and bar staff and of course the manager for a truly wonderful evening.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel and I am delighted that you had such a fantastic night.

I am very pleased that both the cuisine and service was to a high standard and that the whole party had a very enjoyable evening. I do hope that you will consider us once again for your Christmas party in December.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Fantastic location, staff friendly and helpful, communal areas clean, tidy and modern. What lets it down is the rooms. Though clean and functional they need some money spent on them. The decor and fittings are old and tired and our shower never got hot.

I would stay here again though but I recommend the owners invest some money back into their rooms.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple