“4 star hotel that feels like 5 star”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #25 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I has stayed at this hotel before and has always enjoyed it.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and when I stayed in March I was offered a glass of wine which I kindly decline (not much of a wine drinker personally). The room were always clean and bed made up and the cleaning staff were kinds and not rude.

The breakfast/bar waiter/waitress were also friendly and helpful and if you are not happy with something you can ask for a fresh one and they are more than happy to get you fresh one, such as fresh bread etc or even requesting fried egg to be cooked on request.

The only downside to my room I stayed in was and is reflected in the score is at night, there is an uplighter outside on the wall next to the window and there is no blackout curtain provided to blackout this uplighter. Cos of this it was at times hard to get to sleep cos of the light. Otherwise an excellent room.

Because I has stayed there before I was aware of Wifi issue but is very happy to say looks like they got the internet wifi sorted as in my previous stay I did have issue but this time not 1 single issue at all awesome.

Would I stay again, you bet I will.

Room Tip: Try and book in advance as they tends to have special advance rates at times. Don't be afraid t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,493)

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Made a reservation through our business reservation desk and, with pre-negotiated rates, it should include a breakfast. However, when I got my room voucher there was no mention of the breakfast so I phoned the hotel to clarify. They told me very abruptly that they were full and don't need to offer the corporate rate... I don't need to stay in a hotel where the service is rude before check-in so I cancelled the booking. They aren't so full now.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul R
Cosmopolitan-2, General Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

You tried to book a corporate rate on a third party site which was not available, as the website should have made clear. We are not able to change a booking made through a third party.

It is always advisable to check a reservation before confirming, to prevent such events happening. We have advised your booking agent of the problems you have had when trying to make your reservation, as we also feel their website is not very clear.

We did offer you a discounted breakfast rate on your room only booking, but you chose to cancel the booking instead, as is your right.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I have stayed at the cosmo a few times now and this recent stay was by far the best - not only in terms of customer service but the room standard was also very good.
The check in and welcome was superb and the offer of glass of wine. My room had been upgraded as I think our firm puts a few people there, I had a family sized room, which was well appointed.
For an old hotel, they have tackled the refurb well - the downstaits public areas are very modern and well cared for, the stairs, corridors etc are fresh and clean. I do think that as they continue refurb, they should look at the door locks - old fashioned keys and large fobs need to go and be replaced by cards. Also aircon in rooms these days should be standard in a hotel with these rates.
Breakfast is fine - bit limited compared to other chain hotels and teh food had been cooked very early and was a bit "sweaty", but the waitress service was excellent.
The best improvement is in the staff service - I could not fault the service whatsoever!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the rear - even though the view will not be great, because there is no airco, y...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Ideal location for all Leeds City Centre has to offer. Near to the main shopping areas and a gentle stroll to the Grand Theatre, the riverside
walk and the Royal Armouries Museum.
The Cosmopolitan serves very good food in a lovely restaurant attended by efficient and pleasant staff.
The very pleasant bedroom was very spacey and spotlessly clean with a generous well equipped bathroom and a really comfy, large bed.
The reception staff were very pleasant, smart and helpful. The hotel also has a left luggage facility to enable guests to have time in the City after checking out.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the hotel and would recommend it to
any other visitors to Leeds.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I always like to stay at this lovely friendly hotel. The staff at this hotel are lovely. The reception staff are all absolutely lovely. The rooms have everything you need for a comfortable stay. they provide you with a small glass of wine on check in which is a nice touch. The food is really well cooked here over the months i have had many of the items and all are cooked to a good quality. again bar staff and wait staff very polite and friendly. Breakfast is either fully buffet or the cooked is cooked to order depending on how busy the hotel is. See you on Thursday when i shall return for the night!

there are some interesting colour schemes in some of the stairways and hall ways! keep up the good work!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Not the most modern hotel but ideally situated for bars,trinity shopping centre and train station,all within at max ten mins walk . staff friendly, room sizeable and the pressure from the shower wow , no good for someone who wears a syrup or is light on there feet . Not the greatest view out of our window (back of the hotel)but I didn't pay to stare out of the window. rooms could maybe do with an upgrade and the missus didn't like the corridor carpet ! some good bars just round the corner and for real ale lovers go search out whitelocks just up the road and for quality music the smokestack is a must . The Indian AM just around the corner is nice and worth a shout.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed for business. Hotel bar area is nice and comfortable and staff pleasant. Upgraded to a king size complimentary ( but no real effect on me as I was on my own and 5'4"). Room was a good size and was clean. Bathroom was tired. It would not take a lot to upgrade it - new bath panel, hair dryer that was not from the 1970s - but clearly this not done because so much more needed to be addressed too.

The decor upstairs does not reflect the chic layout of the bar area. It is straight out if the bright and bold 80s. The carpet is threadbare on the edges up the stairs and the wall colour requires sunglasses. The doors are all flush panel and it is all just old looking. There is nothing wrong with this as a functional hotel but it is not a destination hotel and does give the traveller the feeling that the owners have been reinvesting into the infrastructure.

Unfortunately my upgraded room was at the front of the hotel facing onto the corner of the road. The old sash windows were covered by aged secondary double glazing which, despite my degree in engineering, I was unable to close without a gap - rendering them totally useless. When the clubs and the really loud music were "banging away" at 1:30AM this was not enjoyable. My colleague was in the room directly above and also suffered from the noise (so not just my sensitivity), the noise which was helpfully repeated by the bin men in the morning.

Fully understand that this is a city centre hotel but I have stayed in Leeds centre a number of times personally and have never had noise problems like at this place. I stayed on a Tuesday night so was this was not the expected disturbance you would see with Leeds on a Saturday.

Pre-empting the excuses that have been made by management in response to every other review that was not 100% I would say that I did mention the noise at reception and they did apologise but the issue is one of maintenance and investment (in windows that are 21st century!).

Having read some of the recent management responses I would also like to say stop kidding yourself and making excuses. This review site is giving you feedback that you are not to as good as other hotels - by a long chalk. You need to take this excellent free feedback and do something to make your hotel better. Writing lengthy reviews to everyone and arguing that they are wrong or did not raise it directly makes you look like you are ignoring the underlying problem (your hotel) and blaming the paying customer for not appreciating what you have to offer.

Would not stay here again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Annette B
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Just to put our reviews in a little more perspective we currently have 327 that have been written since 2004 and in real terms this represents our room sales over only 3 nights. We sold over 25,000 bedrooms last year and since 2004 over 250,000 and the reviews represent 0.001% of our actual guests.

As a business, in what has been very difficult economic time, investment continues but is reduced, we have just refurbished 20 bedrooms but I’m sure you appreciate that this is an ongoing process as is any capital investment.

We are a City Centre hotel and it is a vibrant City. Night club noise can cause issues but again the number of reviews we have regards this reflects that this is not a problem for the majority of guests. I am not aware of any clubs being open mid week and our own bins are located at the back of the hotel and lifted between the hours of 9am and 5pm. This is certainly not an excuse and we will look into the noise issue you identified. This is something that is monitored and controlled by the local EHO and we have little control over but we will make them aware.

We have many happy guests who return on a regular basis. It is frustrating when problems are identified on trip advisor that we have had no opportunity to address and this is our only forum to give our perspective. Sadly some reviews do become rather exaggerated from the actual events.