“Overpriced ”

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
“Overpriced ”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday, room was small for a suite, a little disappointed needs up dating. Staff are lovely and helpful. I just think it's not value for money and lots of other hotels in the area offering a lot more. Breakfast is £11 and cafe next door is fab and does one for £5.50. I won't return now.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarahsaul1999
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

The hotel is not purpose built. One of the advantages we have over purpose built competitors is that all our rooms differ in size and this adds to the character of our product. I am sorry that the room you were allocated was not to your liking and that it wasn’t one of our refurbished or larger rooms.

Our rates reflect the market in Leeds and we offer a similar bedroom product to all our competitors and we typically have more in room facilities.

The cost of our breakfast is only £7.50 when booked in advance and this is always offered at this price on check in. Breakfast next door is a plated breakfast where as our breakfast is a help yourself buffet where you can eat as much as you like.

I do hope you will reconsider returning especially as you found the staff to be offering excellent customer service and we will make sure that on your next stay a larger refurbished room is allocated. Please contact Cindy in reservations to make a future booking.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

had asked for a non smoking room but got one smelling of stale smoke, window only opened 6 inches and trains rattled past every half hour or so, window looked out onto another hotel about 2 feet away, very disconcerting, room was tiny, dingy and uncomfortable, location somewhat seedy, would not stay there again

Room Tip: choose another hotel - the park plaza is nice
1 Thank Fiona M
I am very sorry that your room was not to your liking.

We always try and allocate non smoking rooms where requested. I am unable to trace your booking so can’t confirm which room you stayed in but had we have known at the time we would have happily offered an alternative room. We are now aware as a result of your feedback but sadly we can’t address your concerns after leaving. We do our upmost to ensure all guests enjoy their stay and hopefully return time and time again and I am sorry that you have left disappointed.

The hotel is located in central Leeds opposite the Malmaison Hotel and adjacent the Marriot hotel and 500 meters from the Trinity shopping centre. The area is certainly not seedy and I am sorry you felt this to be the case. Although there is a hotel opposite it is across a road from us and the railway line is a number of streets away and I am sorry that this added to your disappointment. Again we would have happily moved your room if we had known.

I do hope that you will re-consider and book with us once again. I assume a single room was booked on this occasion and I will upgrade your room to a double room complimentary as a gesture of goodwill for any future booking.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Have stayed at short notice at the Cosmopolitan twice in the past few months - generally when going out with friends in Leeds and wanted an easy base to get ready in and get back to; which I think at weekends it gets used a lot as by visitors to the city.
Rooms are a good size, clean and co-ordinated - decent bathrooms, plenty of hot water. Plus excellent wi-fi.
Best of all the staff, really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about their city.
Only warning to travellers it's situated at the bottom of Briggate which has a number of bars and clubs, which can be noisy - so possibly not the choice for a quiet break; but perfect if you want to have some fun.

Room Tip: It still has smoking rooms - which is a rareity these days!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I was booked into this hotel through work to attend a training course in the city. On arrival I was informed that my booking had been upgraded from single to small double for which i thanked the receptionist. My room was on the 1st floor at the rear of the hotel and as the typed of room suggests was a small room. At the rear of the hotel is a bar/club where people congregate outside smoking and the bar points it speakers outside to provide music. Whilst the music may be good the sound levels are such that even with the hotel room windows closed it was impossible to block out the noise. I complained and the receptionist managed to move me to another part of the hotel. Although i managed to get away from the music noise my sleep quality was still poor due to a very amorous couple in the next room, the rooms could definitely do with better sound proofing I ate in the restaurant on the Sunday evening and my first choice (Thai curry) was not available as they had run out of ingredients, my second choice pasta chicken was delayed as they ran out of cream and had to send someone out to buy it. There must not have been many residents on the first night (Sunday) as breakfast on the Monday was cooked to order, although the chef does need to understand that when sausages are cooked they go brown, the sausage served with breakfast was was so pale it looked raw. The following two mornings as more guests staying the breakfast was buffet style. For location the hotel is very handy only a few minutes walk from the station and the shopping areas.

Hull
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed over in Leeds for 1 night to meet up with some old friends and found this place at quite short notice. It's a nice & clean hotel and the room was small (single) but well appointed with a spotless en-suite. The only downside was the lack of parking facilities, the nearby multi-story has to make do, but the hotel do offer discounted tickets for this. I would recommend travel by train if staying here, the station is only 400 metres away.

Room Tip: Travel by train when staying here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel once in the past and did not have the best review on this hotel, however I thought I would give this hotel another chance and I am very happy I did this.
On Sunday I booked the executive king room I would recommend anyone to pay that little extra because wow these rooms are lovely!
On arrival the hotel had been very busy the night before the gentleman on the desk did not hesitate to take my bags and look after them while I went around Leeds while my room was been organised.
I then came back to the hotel at 3pm they explained my room may not be ready, however it was I collected my bags and went up to my room 122. It was delightful, lovely comfy bed with plenty of pillows and cushions. I went into the bathroom had some lovely toiletries which I ran myself a night big bubble bath before my night out that was ahead of me. I then put then tv on while getting ready. I went out and then came back to the hotel and had one of the best sleeps!
This hotel is perfect for the price!
I will be staying here every time now when I come to Leeds for my nights out!
In fact I already have three more stays booked in advance can't wait!
Thank you Cosmopolitan and the staff for a wonderful stay :) x

Room Tip: The only little issue you may have is that it is slightly noisy due to the bars near by but this is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Typical of older hotels, beyond the lobby and dining/bar area, the hotel is pretty shabby.

I was given a smoking room, which stank of stale smoke.

There was a club nearby with loud music, which went on until 4am I asked for another room, but was told the hotel was full. There weren't many people around for a full hotel.

The wireless didn't work at all.

There was no hot water in the morning.

On the positive side, the staff were generally pleasant and helpful.

2 Thank LukeTaylor
I am sorry that your stay was not to your expectations.

The hotel has just completed the complete refurbishment of 17 bedrooms and all our rooms are well maintained and it is disappointing you felt that the hotel was shabby. I am sorry that you were allocated an older smoking room and that we were unable to move your room. The hotel was indeed fully booked as you were informed. The majority of guests were at an event at the Leeds Arena and this would be why the hotel appeared quiet.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise which midweek is very unusual and we are not aware of other guests experiencing this problem. I have copied your comment to the local EHO as they are investigating noise problems as this is out of the Hotels control sadly.

As we have advised by e-mail we were unable to find any fault with the hot water upon you leaving. There can be a delay in hot water in the shower but on checking it was found to be to the correct temperature and I am sorry that this added to your poor stay with us. The wi-fi is available throughout the building and there are 8 routers and it can simply be an individual computers that does not allow connection to a public wi-fi zone rather than our system failing as this is very rare with the blanket coverage we have.

I am pleased that you found the staff to be pleasant and helpful and I have contacted you directly to try and resolve your complaint to your satisfaction and await your reply.