“Excellent as usual”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #23 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stay regularly. Friendly,efficient service; great food (evening meals and breakfasts a treat) and comfortable accommodation . Recommended without hesitation. Central location, close to railway station and shopping areas

Room Tip: Executive rooms very good value
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I came to stay here on the night before a big audition and it most definitley exceeded my expectations!
I was greeted by friendly and helpful staff then when I found my room I opened the door to an extremely large room with a queen size bed AND a single bed. The modern stylish (and very clean) room also featured a 50inch HD 3D TV which was perfectly aligned so I could have a bath and watch it through the mirror. The bathroom was also very large and stylish with everything I could need, shampoo soap etc.
I went out to buy some things from sainsburys and the staff once again were very helpful and they pulled a map out for me and showed me exactly where we were, where the shops were and where I had to go the next day.

I would without a shadow of a doubt recommend this hotel, could not fault it :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My boyfriend and I came to Leeds to celebrate his birthday & i chose this hotel for its great location. Its very close to the train station & easy walking distance to some great bars. We were given a free glass of wine on arrival & a free upgrade without even asking! The room suited our needs, it was very basic in appearance but the bed was comfortable and the shower was great. We were able to buy toothpaste from the reception for £1 & the staff were all very friendly and welcoming. I'd recommend it for a quick stop-over.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the night as we fancied a short break in Leeds. Central location to railway station, shops, bars etc. Good value for money and we received free room upgrade and complimentary glass of wine on arrival. Nice comfortable rooms, decent shower, friendly staff. The breakfast was a bit lack-lustre but filled our bellies. Would happily stay there again as it ticked most of the boxes.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 July 2014

just an overnight stay. mid week. celebrating our wedding anniversary. central location. within easy walking distance of the station and armories. very welcoming staff upon arrival, extremely helpful and knowledgable with the hotel amenities. room was more than adequate, kingside bed was very comfortable, room very clean with nice sized bathroom. shower was one of the best power showers I've experienced in a hotel and perhaps I did spend abit too long in there. the in ceiling fan was abit too noisey but chose not to use it because of it. only little niggle I had was the breakfast. adequate but could be better. food having been left in containers under hot lamps for abit too long. I do know that perhaps if we had been there a little earlier it perhaps would have been ok....but I still don't like to slice my scrambled eggs. no hotel can help their other customers who don't understand breakfast etiquette. don't push in when other customers are still selecting their breakfast items from the hot buffet, especially when they would like to go back and choose something else that they have missed. grrrrrr!

Room Tip: comfy beds
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I'd have never stayed here had any of the other hotels I normally stay at in Leeds were free, but it seems that this week is particularly busy in Leeds for some reason. Not sure why. Offered a glass of wine on arrival, which was a nice touch, but I suspect that this is down to the fact that the rooms and the accommodation generally is, well, not great.

In the interests of balance, here's some positives first:

- very close to the city centre (which has a downside - noise)
- LGBT friendly (to the extent that Leeds has a gay quarter, this is slap bang in the middle of it. I'm not.)
- err ...

So, here's some negatives:

- room key isn't a card, it's a key with an oversized key fob: sounds like a small thing but it's a sign that the hotel is stuck in the 80s
- very close to a railway line ( = very noisy)
- my room (#314) was uncomfortably warm - hence the fan constantly running
- bathroom looks like it was last updated in the 19thC.and the grout's pretty mouldy

In short, if you think of the room that Martin Sheen starts the film Apocalypse Now in... that's it. But in Leeds.

Room Tip: Simple. Don't stay here. Go someplace else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We still operate a key system at the hotel, as do many hotels in Leeds which have not been built in recent times. The cost of implementing a card system is considerable and we are currently investing are resources into bedroom refurbishments.

The majority of the hotels King size and Double bedded rooms have now received a total refurbishment, this is an ongoing process. It is unfortunate that we were not made aware of your disappointment at the time as we would have happily tried to re-allocate your room had we have known although we are also typically fully booked on a regular basis.

I appreciate the positive comments you have made. The glass of wine we offer is because we appreciate that guests arriving with us are likely to have travelled some distance or had a full day at work. It is usually well received and I would hope shows that we recognise that the little touches mean so much to guests and reflects the importance we place on good customer service.

Our City Centre location, as with other Leeds hotels located centrally can be affected by noise although rail noise is not something that is often highlighted as we are located a few streets away from the main railway line. In the summer with the windows open though this could understandably be an issue which I apologise for.

Should you wish to stay again please contact the hotel directly and we will ensure a newly refurbished room is allocated which I am sure will meet your full expectations.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just stayed a night at this place because it is one of the few hotels which cater for smokers in the city. Overall the place seemed to be reasonably well run, but our rooms were like saunas. Admittedly the weather was unusually hot, but there is no aircon and the windows could only be opened about a quarter of the way due to paint build up. There are ceiling fans which helped a little once I had worked out how to turn it on. The main problem was however that both rooms were righrt next to the railway line, and that there were night clubs playing loud dance music well into the small hours of the morning and this was a Monday night, so God knows what it's like at the weekend. So not a great place for a good night's sleep. I don't normally do this sort of thing but these people really need to get their act together and if customers don't complain they will continue to get away with 18th century accomodation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt A

I am very sorry that we only have air conditioning in our public areas which does mean that in very hot weather the bedrooms may be a little warm.

It is simply not feasible to retro fit air conditioning into our bedrooms due to the age of the hotel. Typically many, but certainly not all, new build hotels have air conditioning fitted but very few hotels of character in Leeds actually have air conditioning. It is not down to the hotel not ‘getting its act together’ as such rather down to feasibility. I would add that air conditioning is only something called upon on a few days in a calendar year. All our rooms have room fans and we do have additional portable fans available should these be requested.

The windows do not open up fully due to health and safety legislation rather than paint build up and there is a stopper ensuring this. When windows are open, with our City Centre location, noise will be heard as it would be at home should the window be left open throughout the night.

I am very sorry that the weather conditions meant that your stay with us was not as enjoyable as it should have been. We do try and minimise heat by opening windows before arrival and closing blinds but in the recent heat wave this had little effect. I do hope that you will consider staying with us once again.

Please contact the Hotel directly and we will try and ensure a pleasant and comfortable stay which is what try and give all our guests.