“Good value, great breakfast, shame about the wifi ”
Review of Cosmopolitan Hotel

Cosmopolitan Hotel
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Good value, great breakfast, shame about the wifi ”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

I quite often stay at the Cosmopolitan when I'm in Leeds. The rooms are nice if a little dated and the breakfast is really good. The eggs benadict is a particular favourite. The free WiFi sadly isn't very good. It's slow when it works and often either freezes or drops the connection altogether.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
devon
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Last week myself and two colleagues stayed at the hotel on Wednesday night and I stayed a second night on thursday. As ever the reception staff and the waiting/bar staff were very friendly.

The room was nice a clean and good value for money. For breakfast you had to order the hot from the lovely waitress but it was soon served and piping hot.

On thursday I had the rib eye steak and and it was quality, the pepper sauce was great. Drinks reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mrcooljanny
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great short stay experienced from the moment of arrival, was offered a free ugrade and a smoking room which always goes down well! Nice refurbishment on the bar/entrances, hopefully it will be taken to the rooms. Rooms dated but are clean and tidy and have everything needed. Staff very friendly and courteous with no problems. No noise complaint either as I was expecting it due to the location, I was facing the railway but no issues were noted. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kibble123
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights visiting friends. The room was very spacious, with tea/coffee, ironing board, hair dryer, Sky TV, trouser press and little amenities in the bathroom. I had chosen my breakfast for room service, which arrived during the time selected and hot. The bed/pillows were comfortable and the temperature of the room - although you can alter it yourself. Staff we're very helpful as I have no sense of direction sometimes and I was so amazed at the location - stone throw to clubs, bars, restaurants and the centre. You can leave your luggage too when checking out if your transport isn't until later on. Overall, the hotel is lovely with some vintage aspects to it, eg: actual key to open your room door and a chain on the other side. I'm booking again in October for a school reunion. I only wish check out is at 12noon rather than 11am. I hope you enjoy your stay… Bev (London)

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Pumking29
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a great priced city centre hotel that still has charm and it doesn't feel like you are staying at a faceless hotel chain. The rooms are comfy , Big beds, great bathrooms and all very clean. The hotel has free wifi . Reception are very friendly and efficient. It is close to the station and close to all you need in the city centre.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheatreTravel2010
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A hotel out of the 70s, the hotel welcomes you with its bookshelf of Tatlers from donkey's years and TV from 3 decades ago. Overall the décor has seen better days.

I booked a room for 2, but we had only 1 dressing gown (or bath robe whatever phrase suits you). 2 people checked in, but reception would not give us an extra gown / robe.

The mattress was well used with nice springs that poke. There was no air con so I had to sleep with the window open - so I was entertained by the rowdiness that is Leeds and had crawlies in the room.

Check in and out was speedy and we got to use the printer - which was handy.

Thinking of something good to say about the experience - perhaps quintessentially British?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alexcraig2013
Cosmopolitan-2, Guest Relations Manager at Cosmopolitan Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that the hotel was not to your liking.

The public areas were completely refurbished in 2009 and included the ‘Vogue’ library that you make reference too and we have just completed the refurbishment of 20 bedrooms. Our oldest bedrooms were last refurbished in 2008. We are awaiting delivery on 6 flat screen televisions that will mean the completion of replacing all our bedroom televisions. I am sorry that your room featured one of the few older style TV’s however they still offer the same range of channels.

We have a large stock of dressing gowns and although they are not kept with reception there is someone on duty 24 hours a day who could have brought you an additional dressing gown. I am sorry that this appeared to not be the case, which is disappointing, as any guest request should be dealt with immediately.

Our beds are checked on a regular basis for comfort. These are replaced should they not to be of standard, as guests comfort whilst sleeping is very important to us. We would have happily offered an alternative room had you made us aware at the time.

It is unfortunate that during your stay and upon check out you did not address any of your complaints, choosing to use trip advisor to let us know instead, which is disappointing. We would have checked immediately and put the room off had we found that the mattress was poor and I have asked housekeeping to check all the hotel mattresses this week.

We have air conditioning in all public areas but sadly not in our bedrooms but we do have ceiling fans and additional portable fans, if required. On opening a window you will experience the same problems as you would at home in terms of external noise and potential of insects entering the room. I am sorry this meant your night’s sleep was not an enjoyable one.

I do hope that you will perhaps give the hotel the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Cosmopolitan for one night at the weekend and we could not fault the excellent level of customer service, the staff went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. The room was clean and spacious, the view wasn't up to much but you can't have everything, it was quiet and very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant and found the food well presented and reasonably priced. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice. We would definitely recommend it and would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple