“Yugh yugh yugh!”

Ranked #70 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Yugh yugh yugh!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed overnight here on 25th feb, the check in was fine lovely friendly male receptionist was welcoming and very nice, but after that it was downhill all the way, the hotel is tired very tired almost comatose to be honest, the room was vile, as soon as we walked in we got a wall of smell like sewers being blocked the bathroom was so bad we didnt even want to brush our teeth in it never mind sit on the toilet! the room furniture is way past its sell by date....in its hey day im sure it was lovely but its now very neglected and not welcoming at all, the beds werent clean we slept atop the covers because the signs of previous guests were all too evident in the mattresses and pillows, the bar area was again needing upgrade we ordered food which was ok not great but ok, the staff here are lovely but they work in a dull, tired environment, we had breakfast which was buffet style with full English on offer i had croissants my friend had full breakfast an hour later she was throwing up and feeling terrible ....we wont know if it was the food or just the sight of a black thick hair on her egg! Not good and never again i feel for the staff who try very hard but really the Britannia Leeds is nothing more than a dosshouse if im honest, sorry but never again!

Room Tip: take a tent, the grounds are a bit better than the actual hotel! We were in G20, so the smells from...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank angiegnl
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent Monday to Thursday at the Britannia Leeds Hotel on the 17th February 2014. One of the popular National Holidays Coach Trips. Arrived at around 3.30pm with a warm welcome, checked in quick and easy with no fuss. Nice hotel built around an old stone mill. Staff are very pleasant and very helpful. Our room was on the first floor left of the reception, there is a lift situated for those on the upper floors. Room was small but nice and clean, tidy and fully equipped with a nice bathroom with shower over bath. Overall, a nice clean room. The restaurant and java lounge situated to left as you enter the hotel was really nice and comfortable. Meals were excellent and varied, always plentiful and freshly prepared, buffet style with lots to choose from. Breakfast was buffet style and delivered everything you would want to start the day. Staff work tirelessly and are always willing to help. We would stop there again- no problem. Only negative i can think of is, the shower was a bit unruly and didn't regulate the temperature as i would have liked it, Five stars given to what was a good value 3 nights stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe M
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We booked a Valentine's Day special offer and the first thing that greeted us in our room was a bottle of sparkling wine in an ice bucket and chocolates - very nice touch ! We did pay extra for an executive room which we were highly delighted with, clean spacious and very comfortable with a super sized bath.
For the evening meal the tables were presented really nicely with a real red rose and candle . The meal itself was buffet service and could not be faulted.
Staff all very polite and friendly all in all a really enjoyable stay. Thank you .

Room Tip: Ask for an Executive room - well worth the extra
1 Thank hissyfitLeeds

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

My wife and I are of the older generation. We stayed at the Britannia as it was very convenient for where our family lives, plus the price we paid for the 3 nights was excellent with breakfast

The rooms - as previous people have said, they are a bit dated with dark woodwork on the units which is a bit worn on the edges so looked a bit shabby. Our room was quite big with a dressing table and a small table and chair. We had coffee making facilities and hairdryer, and some toiletries. Room was clean.
Again as said before, corridor carpet at ground level was dirty and stained- please clean.

Restaurant for breakfast was excellent, good choice of fruit, cereal, fried breakfast all from buffet. The young lady waitresses in charge were excellent. Friendly, polite and extremely fast and hard working. A credit to any hotel whatever its star rating.

The restaurant and bar was very modern. Good quality furnishings. Very clean

One downside we were there on a Saturday night and the 'young brigade' took over the hotel, so the level of noise and late night / early morning door slamming went up. The hotel is obviously used as a stag night / hen night base for the city centre as the prices are quite cheap
If like us you want to go to bed early (before midnight), suggest ask for a room on the top floor as far away as possible from the main entrance

I found the booking system strange. I booked on line, entered credit card details other than security code and received a confirmation reservation number. When printed off if said to I had pay in advance by phoning. When I did, I had to give the security number and was then given a new different Reservation number. In years of booking hotels this is a first. Seemed bizarre
I did note some other reviewers had problems with payment, I wonder if they never saw the note on the reservation to phone
All in all would I stay there again - yes. Convenience to family and price of stay dictates this

Room Tip: See comments above. Whether you are old or young
2 Thank Mel R

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stay here often through work. The staff are great but that's as far as it goes!! The rooms are basic and now very outdated, the beds are terrible and aggravate your back so much so I've took to sleeping on the floor. Food is acceptable however expect a wait for it. I've returned at 7 and been sat waiting for my starter an hour and a quarter later. The staff are the only saving grace not because they are prompt and efficient, which they are not!! But because they are sociable and friendly. This is defiantly a case of you get what you pay for. The hotel is close to a shopping centre which is accessed via a subway around 5 minutes walk which makes these digs a little more bearable.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Not very clean, dirty beding, drink spills on the wall and hairs in the bathroom!
Very outdated looking
Had a funny smell
generally shabby looking
No were near town centre! however not to bad a taxi deal, but by the time your paid £10 each way in taxi you might as well just pay more and stay in town
Tried to make me goin in a twin and not a double room i had booked to
Bar man however was helpful.

Manchester,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Just back from a short midweek break of which we both enjoyed. Yes, as a fair few have mentioned the cleanliness does need to be addressed sooner rather than later as not all guests can be wrong! Apart from our room and the ground floor green carpet area (messy because of the workmen's boots) the rest of hotel was clean but maybe its down to that most of the staff we saw cleaning rooms were very young and obviously inexperienced which is no excuse as they should be trained into doing much better.

Our room on arrival (232) was very cold so we quickly put on wall heater which took around 3-4 hours before we was comfortable. We can only assume our room had not been used for a while as after switching on heater we went to unpack and noticed on placing our clothes in draws that the surface on wooden units were dusty. Each unit of furniture was, even the TV but even though we said to each other " you think they would of checked the room first", it was not a huge big deal as the floor was clean, the bed was clean and the bathroom was clean.

To us it looked like the room was cleaned the last time it was used and then surface dust over time had resettled as the bathroom sink which was clean but when I ran my finger over it you could see the white mark that a bathroom cleaner would leave if not properly rinsed off. So it had definitely been cleaned at some point but the hotel should have sent a cleaner to give it a quick spruce before placing guests in it. Anyway, I just got some damp tissue and spruced it up myself but I left a few places to see if they did get cleaned whilst we stayed and unfortunately not all units got touched which means the young staff are obviously just doing the beds and bathroom and a quick flip over wooden units.
Unless the staff management take on board what guests are saying about the cleanliness then it is never going to improve the hotels standard.

The window as others have said (so we know now that we was not alone) you did get a draft and hear traffic noise but we managed as the traffic calmed down at night.

I did on booking mention that one party member had Coeliac condition but unfortunately it went unnoticed. Fortunately I found something to eat for the evening meals and just hoped for the best that I got no after effects which I didn't...... the food was lovely by the way.
When we came down to breakfast I asked one of the ladies on duty if they by any chance had any Gluten Free bread which to my surprise the answer was "No sorry, you need to inform reception", I had when I booked!...Then I heard the lady say to the other lady who was on duty with her..."I shall go over to Tesco and get some now"....and she did just that...she must of sprinted because she was back within 10mins...."Here you go, she said, breakfast isn't the same without a bit of toast"..."Thank you so much for doing that its much appreciated", I said....Her name was Louise...So once again a HUGE big THANK YOU....Your a star...

All in all every staff member seemed really nice and pleasant and we had no problem with the use of the Wi-fi in lounge/reception area..plenty of seats...nice little bar area... all clean and tidy...

Would we stay here again!.....Yes most certainly...As apart from the settled dust and green carpet area it was a lovely and enjoyable stay and the friendly staff also made you feel welcome.

So to anyone having doubts.....Don't.... as hopefully the manager will address the cleanliness issues and if you do find your room not cleaned on arrival then ask for it to be done or to be moved to one that has been cleaned properly.....Hopefully, you won't need to :-)

Simon Powell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
Ibis Leeds Centre
Ibis Leeds Centre
#28 of 86 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,136 reviews

Been to Britannia Leeds Hotel? Share your experiences!