“More than ok”

Ranked #70 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“More than ok”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Part of a coach party we were satisfied with the cleanliness of our room. Expect road noise as it's on a main road. Smallish rooms. Double bed against a wall so hubby had to clamber in and out- we had tossed a coin for the bedside table!
Meals were delayed twice during our stay as previous sittings were still in progress but the food was good and buffet style so portion size is up to you. Breakfast plates were small but you could get seconds if you needed to. Not much to do in the evenings and we did not venture out as we did not know the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deb H
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2014
I am sorry to read that we haven’t met your expectations of the service we offer here at the hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. Perhaps if you had given us the opportunity to discuss your comments and observations at the time, we could have had the opportunity to address them. We can only improve the service we offer by receiving both positive and constructive comments.

Simon Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The location of the hotel was unacceptable as it was next to a dual carriageway, the hotel is in need of modernisation, the food available was below standards and I would not recommend this hotel to people who want to stay in a hotel in Leeds.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank josh k
GM-Britannia, General Manager at Britannia Leeds Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2014

Simon Powell

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here for a night when away with work. Check-in experience was poor after a long queue. Hotel corridors and common areas had a really shabby and unkept appearance (room was slightly better to be fair). They claimed wifi was in all rooms but no signal in mine. Tried ringing for room service but after being put through to the kitchen by reception no-one picked up, even though I held the line for at least a couple of minutes. Then tried again a later, several times in fact, and reception didn't pick up once, ended up traipsing down to the bar to order.

At the "how was your stay?" question at check-out in the morning I couldn't bring myself to do the usual polite answer of "my stay was ok thanks". So I began with "there were a few issues", to which the response was not the expected "I'm sorry" or "please tell me more", simply "oh ok" and then on with the check-out procedure in silence.

Then several days after leaving I find an extra £4 charged to my card by the hotel as a credit card fee. Whether or not this was advertised, it was unacceptable to be charged after I left without my knowledge, rather than being added at the time I originally paid. I complained and unsurprisingly had a lengthy struggle to get it back (but did in the end). Safe to say I will not be returning

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve L
Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback. I would like to sincerely apologise for the service you received in the hotel and will address this with our team. I was sorry too, that not everything went according to plan during your experience at the hotel and will certainly investigate the issues raised with our team.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of customer service and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith in our hotel once again.

Please contact me personally when booking your next stay and I will certainly do what I can to enhance your stay.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

stayed at this hotel for the weekend room was dirty and after complaining to reception thought it would have been dealt with but sadly no must say food was excellant will never be back here spoiled what could have been a lovely weekend away

Room Tip: can't do
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Lanark
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned after 3 nights stay as part of coach trip. Allocated ground floor room and making our way found the corridor extremely dirty don't know when last cleaned and entering our room the filth continued. The walls were covered in coat of dust in which you could write your name on. The carpet worn and again dirty as was bathroom. The light in the room was not working. Went immediately to reception and lodged complaint and requested receptionist to accompany me to the room. She stated the the cleaners and handy man were off duty and would contact the manager. She left and getting no reply after 10 minutes sought her out. She had not spoken to the manager but offered us alternate room saying it had been recently refurbished. We accepted room clean but no window in room area therefore had to keep room light on at all times. On going to room there was a large pile of dirty towels in the corridor and still there the next day. The meals were really good but again at breakfast had to use small side plates and when asked if we could use the dinner plates lying adjacent told no then they were then covered up with bed sheet. So I would say give miss

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrandSuperintendent

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Rang the hotel the day before and spoke to duty manager Melanie, very helpful and accomodating and changed our room to a lovely suite 9bathroom in need of refurbishment and could have been cleaner) and asset to the company. Rooms also need better double glazing as can still hear noise from nearby motorway.

Travelled with Travelstyle, was met on arrival and advised to be down for breakfast for 8 by a member of staff,the hotel obvious caters for coach companies but is unable to deal with them meal times where chaos the poor chef was stood in the middle of people trying to carve a joint of meat very dangerous (why not move to a wall), waitresses rude and unhelpful treated like cattle not guests, greasy food plates, dirty plates,cutlery and other items left near the desserts which looked unedible. All members of our party arrived down for breakfast at 8 to be told by a rather rude and disrespectful waitress your not eating until 8.30 you'll have to wait this caused an argument, apparently not enough food to go round (informed by the coach driver) and you've been treated better than previous tours. Customer service skill need to be passed on to the restaurant and the hotel needs to deal better with coach parties which is obviously a large part of their income.

Room Tip: Room 278 is a large family room 2nd floor (suite) but still gets slight noise from nearby motorway...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 66kazz

Fareham
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We booked a room for the afternoon - my partner is a coach driver and did a drive from Portsmouth to Leeds and we had our 9 hour break in Leeds so checked in.

The lady on reception was lovely and very accommodating, letting us park the coach early so we could grab a taxi into the city to explore.

However they do charge you an extra £10 to book in early which I think is tight especially in our situation as we had no choice.

When we got back and into the room it was OK. The beds were comfortable (very bouncy! ) and the room itself was clean.

The big let down was the bathroom - broken toilet seat, only 1 large towel, dirty floor and a tiny little shower gel.

We didn't eat so I can't comment on the food.

Not as good as other hotels in similar price such as Premier Inn or Ibis. Wouldn't stay there again but wasn't awful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank robjohn100
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you for your observations, these can only be used to improve the service we offer.

Simon Powell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Hotel ibis budget Leeds Centre
#72 of 87 in Leeds
Mercure Leeds Parkway
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#49 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Britannia Leeds Hotel? Share your experiences!