“Never had a bad meal”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Eaten here a few times including recently for a friends birthday, as he's a big fan. It's been busy each time we went but the service was great. Drinks refreshed regularly and can't argue with the food, tried something different last time and it was excellent as usual. The pricing is very reasonable too. Would recommend.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I came here for the first ever time with a group of workmates and I had a great time. The service could've been better as we weren't always attended to when needing extra dips and drinks etc. I shared a number of starters including prawn and chicken tikka, bhajis and seekh kebab and they were all hot and tasty, although a little on the spicy side! The rest of the group who all had curries ranging from tikka masala and biryani and they all agreed it was all very hot. I love spicy food but this was making our eyes water especially the tikka! We needed extra yoghurt sauce. Overall I would go again as the food and atmosphere were good ( I had great company too)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Have had some great meals at Akbars over the years but this wasn't one of then. Visited early Saturday evening and was ushered to the bar because the table wasn't ready however the restaurant was only half full. I didn't really enjoy my meal but the five people I was with did so maybe I ordered the wrong thing but before I had swallowed the last mouthful the bill was presented on the table without been asked for, very efficient considering the slow start to the evening. It seems Akbars has unfortunately turned in to a money making machine focused on a large turnover of customers rather the family restaurant it once was. Such a shame as I probably won't return and I use to love an Akbars!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

The wife and I dropped in for a quick curry while waiting for our daughter to finish work.
The restaurant was busy (Thursday night) and the atmosphere was happy and lively.
The serving staff were all very polite and friendly.
We were soon seated and orders taken.
The menu was a mix of standard fare and a few new dishes to me.
I ordered the seafood balti and the wife ordered vegetable jalfrezi,
Side dish of pilau rice and a dish of potatoes, lentils and paneer
The food was excellent and of generous portions.
The seafood balti was superb and one of the best fish dishes I have ever eaten in an Indian restaurant.
My daughter joined us at 10-30 and we all squeezed in a pudding and some more beers.
The total bill was £53, which was excellent value.
The young waiter even chased down Eastgate after us when we had left our brolly behind.
First class service.
We will be making regular trips to Akbars now because of the excellent food and service, and because it is only 50 yards from my daughters new flat.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Eat here every few weeks, great food, brilliant portion size (me and my friend always manage to share a curry and a naan between us and still be full!) and good service, the waiters are always very helpful and courteous, and know the menu back to front, and a large selection for vegetarians.

Will return again and again